Sponsored

0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did they provide any theories of how the air filter got soaked or found where the water entered the box? If not, this problem is likely to happen again. This assumes the has not gone through any high water since you've owned and went through anything that would induce a lot of splash from the bottom. Since the intake is under the hood and not directly exposed to rain, stuff that might enter through there should show some traces of water stains on the radiator support trim. Is the hood seal present and installed correctly? Was the vehicle detailed at any point from time of delivery to when you started the trip? Meaning, could someone have sprayed the engine compartment down getting water into the inlet.

Too many unknowns but the point is if the cause of the water getting into the air box was not found or fixed, you still have an issue.
Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not that it should matter, but a different dealership may accept it where others won't. Should be consistent experience everywhere, I know, but I would bet some of those warranty claims would be "approved" elsewhere.

I'd rather have the extended warranty for my own peace of mind, especially with this vehicle essentially being a computer on wheels.
I am not on the backend, but it sounds like claim denials are logged and it can make it more difficult for the 2nd opinion dealer to do the claim. I had an A/C related issue a long time ago (different car) that a local Ford dealer said was due to rock hitting condenser causing leak so not a warranty item. I had already done the troubleshooting and knew that was not where the leak was. I told them and asked if the tech could show me the impact spot and was told no. I asked if they would reconsider if I got a 3rd party mechanic to validate my claim. After alot of back and forth they said they would consider. So, went to another shop who verified my original diagnosis. Their mechanic was very nice and wrote a letter and called to help address the situation. Dealer would not budge and denied my request to see if another tech would look to verify original techs diagnosis (which I thought was a fair compromise). I took it to another Ford dealer who verified my diagnosis but had some hoops to jump through because the original dealer had logged the repair as denied. They did get it resolved but I almost canceled the extended warranty due to the frustration.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a good cautionary tale to check your air filter when your vehicle goes into limp mode. I had a similar experience on a Chevy pickup. What had happened is the air filter webbing failed and the filter media clogged into the intake starving the engine of air and it went into limp mode (Vortex 6000 engine). The engine tried hard to get air so much that the intake tube completely collapsed.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco has been around 2 winters now and owners have been through several storms, bomb cyclones, -40deg arctic temperatures and once in a life time blizzards. But 0.001" of precipitation (snow to rain conversion) saturates the air filter and dooms this Bronco?

Not blaming the OP but we are definitely missing some aspect of the story (air box installed incorrectly, detailing negligence, parked at flood mountain, Bronco identifies as a boat, something).

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So if Ford tends to deny warranty claims....who do you prefer for warranties? I'm most concerned about tech modules, which can cost $1-3k easily....and our trucks are full of them now.

Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm in my 2nd Los Angeles winter with my Bronco and haven't heard as much as a pip from mine. :unsure:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm in my 2nd Los Angeles winter with my Bronco and haven't heard as much as a pip from mine. :unsure:
Average annual rainfall in downtown LA since 1872 is less than 15". From all the TV hype that sounds about 10 times too much for "Sunny Southern Caifor-n-i-a" Guess like the song,"when it rains it pours"

My locale where it seems to rain or snow every other day only averages 42.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if Ford tends to deny warranty claims....who do you prefer for warranties? I'm most concerned about tech modules, which can cost $1-3k easily....and our trucks are full of them now.
I've always heard that 3rd party warranties are far inferior to the Ford ESP, so that isn't comforting.

I'm crossing my fingers for junkyard part availability if I have electronics die out of warranty.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've always heard that 3rd party warranties are far inferior to the Ford ESP, so that isn't comforting.

I'm crossing my fingers for junkyard part availability if I have electronics die out of warranty.
You won’t want junkyard electronics based on the sensitivities and complexities already demonstrated by the Bronco. Ford’s ESP is also third party approval/insured if you deep dive the T’s & C’s. Ford just provides their name and FordPass visibility and they’re getting their cut of every plan sold just the same. If Ford wants to be stingy about factory warranty approvals then imagine the approval rates of their own 3rd party ESP?! If a non-Ford-named 3rd party ESP wants to send someone to evaluate and verify the claim, an “adjuster” if you will, then perhaps that would be beneficial since a vetted approval wouldn’t “cost Ford anything,” it would just cost the non-Ford-named 3rd party ESP and while I’m sure their approval rates aren’t great either, just one major repair approval pays for the plan.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Another thing to worry about, snow in the intake box. Dealing with the latest couple snowstorms going through MN. I have found snow build-up at the edges of the intake just under the front edge of the hood (I open the hood to plug in the block heater, 2.3L).

I have also found moisture along both sides of the engine bay. Most worrisome on the drivers side where the battery and fuse box is. There's quite a gap between the hood and fender.

Hope you get your dealer/warranty issues resolved.

Reactions: 0ne

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That makes no sense whatsoever. I hope you get a better resolution, I wouldn't settle with that. There is no way blowing snow would saturate your filter like that. I've driven through consistent downpours without a single hesitation.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This story sounds unbelievable. I run 37s with the inner fender liners completely removed! I drive in a tremendous amount of rain and snow . Zero issues like this with the factory air cleaner housing OR the K&N air box. The K&N does have a semi-open top portion to allow more air and I have found a few chunks of mud up there but no water. I check it often and daily when wheeling because I realize it is more exposed w/out the wheel liners. But no issues here.

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello Everyone,

This is just a cautionary tale for something that we have been dealing with since December 21.

Let me Set the Scene...
Christmas with the family. We are traveling from Colorado to South Dakota looking to beat the "wall of cold" headed across the central states. Its cold (-5 to -15) but its really not snowy. Nothing on the highway, but the wind is carrying what little there is. Having come from the great lakes area, it really wasn't a bad winter day.

We are 30+ minutes out of Scottsbluff Nebraska, when the car suddenly goes into limp mode. There is no cell service, so the ford app isn't telling me what's going on. That's ok though, I do what the forums have taught me. Turn off the car for 10-15 minutes, turn it on and try again. That seems to do the trick. We make it up to Lusk, Wy grab some gas and some food and keep heading north.

30 minutes later, and the car goes out again. Its really sluggish and feels kind of jumpy. Problem is... again there is no cell service. This is notoriously one of the worst stretches' of highway in the continental US in the wintertime. (its dangerous because it gets really slick and windswept) That being said, it was nothing even close to the worst I have experienced on this road. I just knew I needed to hit Edgemont, SD because that's the closest signal and gas station around.

We limp our way to Edgemont making sure to stay under 40mph to not put and stress on the vehicle that we waited 27 months for. In Edgemont, we rinse and repeat the "bronco fix in method". Turn it off, wait 20 minutes, turn it back on again. HEY, it works! We make it to Rapid without issue and head to bed with visions of sugar plums and warning lights in our head.

Next morning, car wont start. I figure, why tempt fate. Call a tow truck and get it shipped to the closes ford dealer.

They come back a few days later and let me know the following;
"Air filter is Saturated through and through. Big old puddle in the bottom of the airbox. Also, moisture worked its way up the tube and borked the turbo sensor. We need to order a new one of those as well. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY"

This makes 0 sense. I have yet to take this Vehicle off-road (only got it a couple months ago). Its a totally stock vehicle and this is its first "snow". Surely there must be a factory issue with my car? I have plowed through snowdrifts 3 feet high in a 1990 S-10... I should be confident that a $50k 'offroad' vehicle can handle 4 hours of highway time and some blowing snow?

Ford wont even argue on my behalf. I have spent countless hours with them on the phone and close to 20 emails. I am out over $1k in damages and car rentals because my brand new car is afraid of some snow. If anyone thinks I am exaggerating, I have included a screenshot of what weather was officially reported for the day that this all went down.

Honestly this puts a super bad taste in my mouth and I hope its a warning to all other bronco owners. Ford does not appear to stand behind their vehicle and its really shaken my faith in my new 'highly-anticipated' offroad rig. I would love some advice on this matter if anybody has had a similar experience?

1.jpg
we have had like 3ft of snow here in MN the last couple weeks and I have had no issue. sounds like maybe a bad seal on airbox?

TC1

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach E, 2021 Escape, 2014 RX 450
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello Everyone,

This is just a cautionary tale for something that we have been dealing with since December 21.

Let me Set the Scene...
Christmas with the family. We are traveling from Colorado to South Dakota looking to beat the "wall of cold" headed across the central states. Its cold (-5 to -15) but its really not snowy. Nothing on the highway, but the wind is carrying what little there is. Having come from the great lakes area, it really wasn't a bad winter day.

We are 30+ minutes out of Scottsbluff Nebraska, when the car suddenly goes into limp mode. There is no cell service, so the ford app isn't telling me what's going on. That's ok though, I do what the forums have taught me. Turn off the car for 10-15 minutes, turn it on and try again. That seems to do the trick. We make it up to Lusk, Wy grab some gas and some food and keep heading north.

30 minutes later, and the car goes out again. Its really sluggish and feels kind of jumpy. Problem is... again there is no cell service. This is notoriously one of the worst stretches' of highway in the continental US in the wintertime. (its dangerous because it gets really slick and windswept) That being said, it was nothing even close to the worst I have experienced on this road. I just knew I needed to hit Edgemont, SD because that's the closest signal and gas station around.

We limp our way to Edgemont making sure to stay under 40mph to not put and stress on the vehicle that we waited 27 months for. In Edgemont, we rinse and repeat the "bronco fix in method". Turn it off, wait 20 minutes, turn it back on again. HEY, it works! We make it to Rapid without issue and head to bed with visions of sugar plums and warning lights in our head.

Next morning, car wont start. I figure, why tempt fate. Call a tow truck and get it shipped to the closes ford dealer.

They come back a few days later and let me know the following;
"Air filter is Saturated through and through. Big old puddle in the bottom of the airbox. Also, moisture worked its way up the tube and borked the turbo sensor. We need to order a new one of those as well. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY"

This makes 0 sense. I have yet to take this Vehicle off-road (only got it a couple months ago). Its a totally stock vehicle and this is its first "snow". Surely there must be a factory issue with my car? I have plowed through snowdrifts 3 feet high in a 1990 S-10... I should be confident that a $50k 'offroad' vehicle can handle 4 hours of highway time and some blowing snow?

Ford wont even argue on my behalf. I have spent countless hours with them on the phone and close to 20 emails. I am out over $1k in damages and car rentals because my brand new car is afraid of some snow. If anyone thinks I am exaggerating, I have included a screenshot of what weather was officially reported for the day that this all went down.

Honestly this puts a super bad taste in my mouth and I hope its a warning to all other bronco owners. Ford does not appear to stand behind their vehicle and its really shaken my faith in my new 'highly-anticipated' offroad rig. I would love some advice on this matter if anybody has had a similar experience?

1.jpg
I was out in the same conditions in Iowa with no problems. The snow was a little more here is the only difference.

OP
OP
Oomeeno

Oomeeno

Black Diamond
First Name
Auggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Quick update;

Ford has said that they will not question the dealerships assessment and that nothing will be covered (hotel, car, shipping from the dealership to our local dealership) because the issue was not warrantable... major bummer.

We talked with the Dealership warranty individual (the nicest individual we have dealt with thus far), who explained that it was "a perfect storm" of a situation and between the wind, the type of snow and the temperature. They (dealership) are going to attempt to advocate on our behalf in the form of "good-faith" when we open a new case - "to get fresh eyes on it", but that is currently where we sit.

When we get our car back, I am going to look into upgrading the airbox and the filter with something more robust to avoid this situation in the future. The vehicle only has 7k miles on it thus far but I will be making sure to keep a sharp eye on this area in the future.

@Ford Motor Company I would love to see if maybe someone here could help me? The customer service individual have been less than satisfactory and some have been downright combative.
Sponsored