120v ac outlet ideas

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought the bronco would come with a standard US plug style 12v. Anyone have any good ideas to install? I am thinking the kids will need a heated blanket in the back considering the horrible airflow.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should have at least two of them—one in the center console and one in the back cargo area of the vehicle on the passenger side.

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Let me rephrase, I am no electrician. How do I go about converting/putting in the type of plug. My explorer had it in the truck area.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me rephrase, I am no electrician. How do I go about converting/putting in the type of plug. My explorer had it in the truck area.
Well, as mentioned above, you should have two already. In the centre arm rest console & cargo area.

senatorPOPS

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - 1990 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Do you mean like a wall outlet you find in your home? if so, you need an inverter to convert the cars 12V DC to 120V AC or do you mean the barrel style 12V car outlet?

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 120v plug is only included with mid package and above iirc. You can get an inverter and plug it into the 12v port inside the center console.

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, I mean a 120v standard US plug. Like most of us in America have. I want to plug stuff into the outlet (heated blanket for the kids when it is a little chilly but we want the top or doors off, crockpot for tailgating, etc). But as I read more I am wondering if these inverters can handle the power needed. I don’t think it is as easy as saying “if it is 110-120v just plug it in. Many blankets show 150w max with a 120v plug but then go on to say they can’t be used on a power block. Anyone know the answer here?

donkeygoatrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, as mentioned above, you should have two already. In the centre arm rest console & cargo area.
There’s only one 110 outlet; it’s behind the center console. The outlet in the back is a 12 volt, just like the one inside the console.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would run a fused power line from the battery to an inverter. Then a ground wire to bare metal as close to the inverter as possible. The size of wire is dictated by the power draw of inverter you need to run. I think you could get one under the seats or behind the rear passenger quarter panel.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m not running a heated blanket or a crockpot…but this does the trick for us in our BD with standard package…

PowerDrive PDI175S

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I’d definitely run some beefy dedicated lines for a powerful inverter if you have any hope of a heating blanket / crockpot. Those suckers require real power.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought the bronco would come with a standard US plug style 12v. Anyone have any good ideas to install? I am thinking the kids will need a heated blanket in the back considering the horrible airflow.
OP from reading your posts it would seem your looking for an inverter. This allows you to convert your vehicles 12 volt DC systems power through the inverter to provide 120V AC power.

First thing for you to consider.
Take your time in understanding what you want to use it for and then what items you may additionally want to power up.
You do not want to undersize your power to the devices you intend to run.

I'd suggest by starting with youtube videos.
There's plenty of them out there.

I'll be doing the same with my Bronco once it arrives.

Pic below is my set up which provides outbuilding solar power and emergency backup power to the main house.

12v DC inverter to 60Hz 120 AC pure sine inverter

Again it's very important to take your time and learn about the system you want. It's not all that complicated once you grasp the basics.

Note: pay attention to the inverter you select.
Determine if it is "bonded" or "Non-bonded or Floating ground". Also I'd add look for a "Pure Sine" inverter to protect your devices.

Good Luck to you OP. If it seems too involved find a RV dealer/mechanic to assist you. They're pretty much standard features they deal with.

Ford Bronco 120v ac outlet ideas 1646399154834

Ford Bronco 120v ac outlet ideas 1646400359237

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP from reading your posts it would seem your looking for an inverter. This allows you to convert your vehicles 12 volt DC systems power through the inverter to provide 120V AC power.

First thing for you to consider.
Take your time in understanding what you want to use it for and then what items you may additionally want to power up.
You do not want to undersize your power to the devices you intend to run.

I'd suggest by starting with youtube videos.
There's plenty of them out there.

I'll be doing the same with my Bronco once it arrives.

Pic below is my set up which provides outbuilding solar power and emergency backup power to the main house.

12v DC inverter to 60Hz 120 AC pure sine inverter

Again it's very important to take your time and learn about the system you want. It's not all that complicated once you grasp the basics.

Note: pay attention to the inverter you select.
Determine if it is "bonded" or "Non-bonded or Floating ground". Also I'd add look for a "Pure Sine" inverter to protect your devices.

Good Luck to you OP. If it seems too involved find a RV dealer/mechanic to assist you. They're pretty much standard features they deal with.

Thanks for the advice, that looks intense.
Ill start looking up YouTube videoes. I am fairly handy but the conversions and understanding electricity will take a bit of education… I was going to run both positive and negative to the battery, but you are saying ground closest to inverter as possible, why? I am looking at a 1000w with 2000w peak but apparently that won’t do it for a 150w blanket. I’m guessing it is the heating coil technology where we run into troubles with blankets and crockpots. Weird, it’s not a microwave or drier…

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak