First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like everyone is running 17" or 18" wheels.... is that because of more tire and wheel options? Anyone have pictures of aftermarket 16" wheels with 33 or 35" tires?
Sponsored

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Will 16s even clear the brake calipers? Mechanically 35s on 16s will work fine. But you won't have as many options for wheels as you will with 17-20s.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Will 16s even clear the brake calipers? Mechanically 35s on 16s will work fine. But you won't have as many options for wheels as you will with 17-20s.
Base has 16" wheels

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, the reason why you see so many 17" wheels is just because it is one of the most common sizes for wheels in light trucks (17", 18" and 20").

16" wheels are less common, but you should have no problem as long as the wheel isn’t super wide so that it interferes with the brakes. Just may not have as many wheel or tire choices.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, the reason why you see so many 17" wheels is just because it is one of the most common sizes for wheels in light trucks (17", 18" and 20").

16" wheels are less common, but you should have no problem as long as the wheel isn’t super wide so that it interferes with the brakes. Just may not have as many wheel or tire choices.
I just like the larger sidewall looks more old school

Sponsored

savethewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd Gen Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But you won't have as many options for wheels as you will with 17-20s.
@mdfilip and others -- I'm please to inform you that the array and availability of 16" wheels far exceeds that of 17"+ wheels... For wheel enthusiasts like myself, the smartest thing that Ford did with the new Bronco was making the bolt pattern 6x139.7 (same PCD as countless JDM offroaders)... so there's a whole slew of interesting and quality wheels out there. Unlike most of what the American market is flooded with these days!
For example, here's a set of forged 16" TE37 wrapped in Yokohama MT's (and those are only 33's) ;)

Ford Bronco 16" wheels with 35s? full?d=1616020201

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As long as the tires you want are available in 16s, and they probably are, you are fine to use 16s.

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@mdfilip and others -- I'm please to inform you that the array and availability of 16" wheels far exceeds that of 17"+ wheels... For wheel enthusiasts like myself, the smartest thing that Ford did with the new Bronco was making the bolt pattern 6x139.7 (same PCD as countless JDM offroaders)... so there's a whole slew of interesting and quality wheels out there. Unlike most of what the American market is flooded with these days!
For example, here's a set of forged 16" TE37 wrapped in Yokohama MT's (and those are only 33's) ;)

full?d=1616020201.jpg
You sound like the kind of guy who can maybe answer a question that’s been burning in my mind, if you have a moment:

If I wanted to put 32” (or even 33”) tires on the Base’s 16” steelies, and if I’m looking for something that’s decent off road (mud, rain, gravel roads) but quiet and civilized on pavement (say something like a Continental TerrainContact), what size tires should I be looking at?

I’ll be forever grateful for any guidance…I’m overwhelmed by options and don’t really trust the tire salesmen to care/know what’s best.

Last edited:

Sponsored

savethewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd Gen Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If I wanted to put 32” (or even 33”) tires on the Base’s 16” steelies, and if I’m looking for something that’s decent off road (mud, rain, gravel roads) but quiet and civilized on pavement (say something like a Continental TerrainContact), what size tires should I be looking at?
32" - Yokohama Geolandar X-AT, size 265/75/16
33" - Falken Wildpeak AT3W, size 285/75/16

I'm a real fan of Yokohama, but I've had those Falkens as well; both are quality tires. Hope this helps!

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

32" - Yokohama Geolandar X-AT, size 265/75/16
33" - Falken Wildpeak AT3W, size 285/75/16

I'm a real fan of Yokohama, but I've had those Falkens as well; both are quality tires. Hope this helps!
You are my absolute hero, and if you're ever in Austin, I owe you a beer. IF I can trouble you with one more question: How do you feel about the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts?

savethewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd Gen Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You are my absolute hero, and if you're ever in Austin, I owe you a beer. IF I can trouble you with one more question: How do you feel about the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts?
Having never used the Continental TerrainContact A/T, I'm hesitant to make any kind of judgement. I will say that their sidewall looks a lil' LESS aggressive than I'd like to see in an All-Terrain.

My previous set of Falkens, for reference. Notice the blocks/lugs on the upper sidewall.

Ford Bronco 16" wheels with 35s? 3671839-7c1de6ab15b755fec9003e01003885e3

"Sidewall lugs contribute additional biting edges to laterally grab onto terrain." (tirebuyer.com)

Last edited:

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having never used the Continental TerrainContact A/T, I'm hesitant to make any kind of judgement. I will say that their sidewall looks a lil' aggressive than I'd like to see in an All-Terrain.

My previous set of Falkens, for reference. Notice the blocks/lugs on the upper sidewall.

Ford Bronco 16" wheels with 35s? 3671839-7c1de6ab15b755fec9003e01003885e3

"Sidewall lugs contribute additional biting edges to laterally grab onto terrain." (tirebuyer.com)
Super helpful. Thank you!!