First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Need to replace one of the broken serpentine belts on my 2.3L badsquatch. I have looked high and low for a schematic showing how the belts go without success. Searched here, YouTube, and web in general. No luck. Can someone point me in the proper direction?

Thanks. Contented.
Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

ItemDescription
1Accessory drive belt safety shield
2Accessory drive belt tensioner
3Coolant pump pulley
4Accessory drive belt
5Generator
6Generator safety shield
7Crankshaft pulley
8A/C compressor belt
9A/C compressor
10Accessory drive belt idler pulley
© Copyright 2024, Ford Motor Company.

OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

ItemDescription
1Accessory drive belt safety shield
2Accessory drive belt tensioner
3Coolant pump pulley
4Accessory drive belt
5Generator
6Generator safety shield
7Crankshaft pulley
8A/C compressor belt
9A/C compressor
10Accessory drive belt idler pulley
© Copyright 2024, Ford Motor Company.
Thank you so much.

Sponsored
OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks to all for the prompt responses. Very helpful, not only in repairing but also figuring out what happened. I unintentionally got into some deep water today. After several anxious moments, both lockers in and some to and fro was able to back out. Within several minutes of being out I got coolant overheating warning. Checked and found both belts off. The long one (B) was broken. Short belt (A) to a/c compressor was ok. Belt B broke because the water and sand froze accessory drive idler pulley. Won’t turn at all. Luckily I carry tools. Was able to stretch the short belt (A) over coolant pump and alternator which got us out of the woods and home.

I normally don’t go into water and shouldn’t have here. Didn’t pay enough attention to my surroundings. No more water.

Off to the dealer for parts tomorrow. I’m not hopeful they’ll have what I need.

Thanks again. Contented

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some questions, asking now in case I ever need to do this:

- Great save on using the short (A) belt on the critical parts to get you out of there! Two questions on that: 1) how much of a stretch was it and what tools do you need to stretch it? 2) It looks like that would result in the coolant pump rotating in the opposite direction, is that true and if so it doesn't matter in an emergency?

also

- I have changed serpentine belts like B before, but never a two belt system like this. If only B breaks it looks like you have to take off A in order to replace B. What is the process for removing A? Is it loosen the AC compressor bolts?

Medic2586

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Short belt farthest from engine, long belt closest to

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Accessory Drive Belt
Removal
NOTICE: Under no circumstances should the accessory drive belt, tensioner or pulleys be lubricated as potential damage to the belt material and tensioner damping mechanism will occur. Do not apply any fluids or belt dressing to the accessory drive belt or pulleys.
NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.
  1. Refer to: Health and Safety Precautions (100-00 General Information, Description and Operation).
  1. Remove the air conditioning A/C compressor belt.
    Refer to: Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor Belt (303-05A Accessory Drive - 2.3L EcoBoost (199kW/270PS), Removal and Installation).
  1. Remove the quick connector and the electrical connector.
    Refer to: Quick Release Coupling (310-00A Fuel System - General Information - 2.3L EcoBoost (199kW/270PS), General Procedures).
  1. Loosen the clamp and position aside the CAC outlet pipe.
    Torque: 44 lb.in (5 Nm)
  1. Remove the bolt and the shield.
    Torque: 18 lb.ft (25 Nm)
  1. NOTE: After installation, make sure the accessory drive belt is correctly seated on all the pulleys.
    1. Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner counter clockwise and remove the accessory drive belt, then release the accessory drive belt tensioner.
Installation
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. NOTE: Safety shield must be re-installed, to protect hands in the case of an un-expected start.
    1. After installation, make sure the accessory drive belt is correctly seated on pulleys.
  1. Install the bolt and the shield.
    Torque: 18 lb.ft (25 Nm)

Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor Belt
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment

303-1252
Stretchy Belt Remover/ Installer Tool
TKIT-2006UF-FLM
TKIT-2006UF-ROW
Knife
Removal

NOTICE: Under no circumstances should the accessory drive belt, tensioner or pulleys be lubricated as potential damage to the belt material and tensioner damping mechanism will occur. Do not apply any fluids or belt dressing to the accessory drive belt or pulleys.

1. Refer to: Health and Safety Precautions (100-00 General Information, Description and Operation).
  1. Cut the belt.
    Remove the General Equipment: Knife
Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Position the A/C compressor belt onto the A/C compressor pulley and around the special tool on the crankshaft pulley. Make sure that the belt is engaged with the crankshaft pulley and rotate the crankshaft clockwise to install the A/C compressor belt.
    Use Special Service Tool: 303-1252 Stretchy Belt Remover/ Installer Tool.
  1. After installation, make sure the A/C compressor belt is correctly seated on all the pulleys.

OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@flip - thank you so much for the shop manual.

@BudgetBronco - I threaded the belt over the alternator and water pump and then used a 21 mm racheting combination wrench to slowly rotate the crank while pushing / stretching the belt onto the engine pulley. I cut it this morning to get it off. Re: water pump rotating backwards. I didn’t notice that until you mentioned it, but that might explain why I had to drive at 35 mph to keep coolant temps in the green. I kept engine gauges up the entire way home.

Off to the dealer soon.

Gotta love this forum. When one really needs help, good folks are always there. Thanks again all.

contented

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BudgetBronco - I threaded the belt over the alternator and water pump and then used a 21 mm racheting combination wrench to slowly rotate the crank while pushing / stretching the belt onto the engine pulley. I cut it this morning to get it off. Re: water pump rotating backwards. I didn’t notice that until you mentioned it, but that might explain why I had to drive at 35 mph to keep coolant temps in the green. I kept engine gauges up the entire way home.

Off to the dealer soon.

Gotta love this forum. When one really needs help, good folks are always there. Thanks again all.

contented
You can probably put the A/C on without the stupid expensive stretchy belt tool, just go slow and make sure the ribs are in the correct grooves.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base

Off to the dealer soon.

contented
Makes a guy think that a spare tensioner and belts might be handy to have.

OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Makes a guy think that a spare tensioner and belts might be handy to have.
We are older and generally wheel alone. Along with a winch, I carry a full contingent of recovery gear, spare inner tie rod and everything needed to change it. Also have on-board air, tire repair kit, and a reasonable selection of tools which grows if I’m going farther away from home. If I’m somewhere like Death Valley, Moab, Colorado and the like I carry enough gear, food and water to spend a night if need be and don’t go alone. In addition, we’ll soon be buying the latest iPhone which gives us the ability to summon help via satellite. And I keep a list of off road recovery services in my phone.

Wifey mentioned carrying spare belts. Probably not a bad idea. They don’t take up much space. But if I hadn’t went into the water, none of this would’ve happened. Lesson learned. There gets to be a limit on how much one can carry.

Went to dealer this morning. They had the idler pulley on-hand. Belts will be in tomorrow morning. So I’ll be up and running tomorrow. Since I’m certain differential vent tubes were under water, I’ll have that fluid changed in both also.

Take care. Contented
Sponsored

Last edited: