Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah but Kia/Hyundai does not have the best track record with their DI motors staying clean. But I have no idea how that compares to the Ecoboost engines. I have a DI motor in my 2015 Mazda6, but it's not a turbo and runs like new after almost 100K miles.
They all have problems. The 2.0 Ford engine has a bunch of blow by especially when tuned. My catch can would be full between oil changes on my ST when it was tuned.

jonboy1225

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A long list of 3 pedalers, and various tow trucks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan to purchase a 2 door with the 2.7. My 2016 F150 has the 3.5EB and automatic. The sport mode is amazing. No problems so far. If the 2.7 is as good as my 3.5, I will be a happy man! The dog will be happy too!
I sold new Fords for a short while. Drove many combos of F150 around, honestly like the 2.7 over the 3.5 except in heavy towing/payload applications. Around town, stop and go, and feedback from light work scenarios it just responded quicker and felt more peppy with some mpg thrown in to boot! Amazing little engines

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Am I the only one who thinks its possible the 2.7 will get better fuel economy real world due to it not having to work as hard to get the bronco moving. I had an 87 ranger 6 cylinderthat got way better milage than my 95 4 cylinder did. Full disclosure the 87 was manual and 4x4 and the 95 was a 2wd auto
I doubt it, but I don't think the difference in overall economy will be that significant either. I'm guessing about 2-3 mpg better on average with the 2.3L. Personally I don't care about fuel economy as long as it averages over 20. I must have the 7sp MT!

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I sold new Fords for a short while. Drove many combos of F150 around, honestly like the 2.7 over the 3.5 except in heavy towing/payload applications. Around town, stop and go, and feedback from light work scenarios it just responded quicker and felt more peppy with some mpg thrown in to boot! Amazing little engines
Excellent news regarding your observations on the 2.7. Thank you!
My 3.5 was built for towing. I have a four season fiberglass RV which can weight in at over 6,000 pounds fully loaded. My 3.5 is a beast in going up and over any mountains.
I guess it is all about your intended purpose for the vehicle you buy. I want my 2 door to be a peppy/zippy little vehicle that can tackle any terrain. I suspect the 2.7 will get me where I need to go.

Ford Bronco 2.3 vs. 2.7 ultimate pro/con list Ollie

Sponsored

jonboy1225

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A long list of 3 pedalers, and various tow trucks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Excellent news regarding your observations on the 2.7. Thank you!
My 3.5 was built for towing. I have a four season fiberglass RV which can weight in at over 6,000 pounds fully loaded. My 3.5 is a beast in going up and over any mountains.
I guess it is all about your intended purpose for the vehicle you buy. I want my 2 door to be a peppy/zippy little vehicle that can tackle any terrain. I suspect the 2.7 will get me where I need to go.

Ford Bronco 2.3 vs. 2.7 ultimate pro/con list Ollie
She's a beauty. I love the Sport/STX on those wheels

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I doubt it, but I don't think the difference in overall economy will be that significant either. I'm guessing about 2-3 mpg better on average with the 2.3L. Personally I don't care about fuel economy as long as it averages over 20. I must have the 7sp MT!
In the ranger, which is lighter and less heavy duty, the 2.3 gets 18-21 MPG.

vel23

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 340i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have any experience/info on tuning a 2.3 vs a 2.7? If it makes more sense to save the money and just tune the 2.3, it may sway things for me.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It totally ruins my day when my engine block wears out because it's the wrong material.....

It's not as if it doesn't have cylinder liners.... Both blocks probably have liners
No, the CGI block doesn't have liners.

Not fumoto valve compatible
Why is that a con? The 2.7 has a plastic drain plug that's easily removable by hand.

Sponsored

Ocnorb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Alternator is also low on both engines, huge oversight for an off-road vehicle.
That's what I'm worried about too. It's common in Jeep XJ's for the alternator to get hosed on the later models for this reason for those that wheel them.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have any experience/info on tuning a 2.3 vs a 2.7? If it makes more sense to save the money and just tune the 2.3, it may sway things for me.
check out the engine threads on here, and google 2.3 Ecoboost tuning as well as 2.7. The Mustang guys have been tuning the 2.3 for a while so we can expect similar mods and gains for the Bronco. The F150 crew has been tuning the 2.7 and it can make some huge power.

With basic bolt ons a tune you can add 50 Hp and 75ish torque to the wheels with the 2.3 and at least that on the 2.7 which has more power to begin with. Both engines have potential if you want to mod them. Always risk involved of course.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's what I'm worried about too. It's common in Jeep XJ's for the alternator to get hosed on the later models for this reason for those that wheel them.
Imagine that, using the vehicle as designed, then killing your alternator and trying to replace the alternator that the entire engine bay was built around, off-road on a muddy trail.

These engine choices are awful, yet everything else is near perfect.

bigsky713

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Ford Bronco / 2002 Ford Super Duty 7.3 PS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you forgot the part where the 2.7 has twice as many turbos to be replaced, tones of piping and junk all over the place blocking access to important parts, and 0 room in the bay making repairs difficult
Very very few people have the knowledge to get under the hoods of modern vehicles to do an oil change or plugs let alone a serious repair.
I don’t even think it’s a relevant topic....
Neither of the offered engines Have much in common with my stroked out 75 Bronco except that they internal combustion.

bigsky713

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Ford Bronco / 2002 Ford Super Duty 7.3 PS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I the only one who thinks its possible the 2.7 will get better fuel economy real world due to it not having to work as hard to get the bronco moving. I had an 87 ranger 6 cylinderthat got way better milage than my 95 4 cylinder did. Full disclosure the 87 was manual and 4x4 and the 95 was a 2wd auto
And mated to 10 gears
Sponsored