Sponsored

2.3L Bible: General Overviews and Information Research?

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am very familiar with the 6.0L powerstroke (own an Excursion).

I loved learning about this engine because of the wealth of knowledge from resources like The 6.0L Bible, and the ability to get a basic understanding by studying images, charts, technical publications, etc.

What type of similar information and resources exist for the 2.3L EcoBoost? I fully understand it doesn't have near the history of the 6.0, but what does exist and where? How have you learned?

I'm finding some random pictures on Google and info relative to the Ranger. What is the best place to learn all the technical details of the 2.3?

If we're able to compile some links here that might be a good thing.
Sponsored

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Generally the reason that a person would choose a 4 cylinder over a larger engine is for better economy; better MPG paired with a lower initial purchase price. If price and MPG are equal I can't think of a reason someone would want the 2.3L over the 2.7L.

Based on the 2.3L ranger and the 2.7L F-150 the MPG difference is only about 1 MPG. Initial cost is still TBD, but combined with the required 10 speed it would be, what? Maybe $3,000? On a $30k-$60k truck that is a very small percentage.

As much as I want the 7 speed MT, if the 2.3L only gets 1 MPG better and cost less that 3k more, I just don't think I'll be able to pull the trigger..

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just cant drive automatics, i know todays are better and all, but i get confused with the pedals. So i am stuck with the 2.3.

However its a beast and already has a big following in mustangs for years now. Its been around for what just over 5 years, im sure in a couple more there will be an actual book or insanely long forum thread telling all there is to know. Im looking at bolt ons to start, maybe water meth in a year or 2, then turbo upgrade once the warranty is done. Hopefully with more truck/4x4 use a torque build will develop. Give me +400 hp, +500 tq and i will be stoked. Especially with some methanol for an extra kick when I want. Just gotta be able to change the tune on the fly.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just cant drive automatics, i know todays are better and all, but i get confused with the pedals. So i am stuck with the 2.3.

However its a beast and already has a big following in mustangs for years now. Its been around for what just over 5 years, im sure in a couple more there will be an actual book or insanely long forum thread telling all there is to know. Im looking at bolt ons to start, maybe water meth in a year or 2, then turbo upgrade once the warranty is done. Hopefully with more truck/4x4 use a torque build will develop. Give me +400 hp, +500 tq and i will be stoked. Especially with some methanol for an extra kick when I want. Just gotta be able to change the tune on the fly.
But the 2.3 gets up to 32 MPG on the Mustang... That won't be the case one the Bronco... If it gets 25 on the HWY, and the 2.7 gets 20... I'll be interested. Only it gets 21 on the Ranger, so I doubt it.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I honestly have never cared about mpg. My daily gets 13mpg, we dont have any real highways on the island so its all just running up and down hills and curves. I want the 2.7 thats a no brainer, but ford wont sell it in a manual. And its always easier to swap an engine than to swap an auto vehicle to a manual transmission.

Sponsored

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I honestly have never cared about mpg. My daily gets 13mpg, we dont have any real highways on the island so its all just running up and down hills and curves. I want the 2.7 thats a no brainer, but ford wont sell it in a manual. And its always easier to swap an engine than to swap an auto vehicle to a manual transmission.
I don't care about MPG either really, but it silly that Ford went with a 4 cylinder that gets the same MPG as the better V6. Damn them for not making the MT available with the V6.... Oh well.

Last edited:

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't care about MPG either really, but it silly that Ford went with a 4 cylinder that gets the same MPG as the better V6. Damn them for not making the MT available with the V6.... Oh well.
I thought the 2.3 gets better gas mileage than the 2.7

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought the 2.3 gets better gas mileage than the 2.7
The 2.3L in a 4 door ranger (weighs less than a Bronco) gets 19-21 MPG. The 2.7L in a F-150 (same wight as a Bronco) gets 17-20 MPG. I'm really starting to think that Ford is limiting the MT to the 2.3L because its the only way to add value to it.

The 2.3L in the mustang on the other hand gets up to 32 MPG....

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Speaking of pointless marginal differences in fords. Remember in the 80s when ford sold 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 ranger engines right beside each other. Their choices today must be nostalgia related.

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honestly I don't care about the 2.3L vs. 2.7L. I want the MT and lower cost. My much heavier Pathfinder also has much less HP and Torque, and I've never really felt the need for more. I think the 2.3L will be fine for most people. Just my opinion.

Bronco4u

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ram1500,17 f650,92 bronco,03 2500hd,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thing we tend to get a little hung up on numbers sometimes. Especially in the USA With the whole bigger is better way of thinking. To put it in perspective, I have a 1992 bronco with a 5.0. It is rated at 185hp and 270 Lbs of torque.
It weighs almost 5000lbs , has 3.55 gears and a 4 speed automatic 12mpg. By today’s standards this is garbage. I have never had a situation where I didn’t have enough power. I don’t know what the new broncos power to weight ratio is but I guarantee its a lot better than that. Even with the 2.3.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I appreciate y'all's opinions and insight, this isn't quite how I hoped this thread would go... Looking for more objective, informative info.

Anyone have some good links to pics/diagrams/tech info of the 2.3?

I really like this one I found over at the Ranger5G site, check it out if you haven't:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/

Thanks!
Thanks for digging that up! I’m curious if these have the TVIC deals for the cam chain tensioners. I had these changed under warranty on my 3.5 boosty boi. The electronic waste gate is nice too.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for digging that up! I’m curious if these have the TVIC deals for the cam chain tensioners. I had these changed under warranty on my 3.5 boosty boi. The electronic waste gate is nice too.
Yes I thought it was very informative. I'm particularly interested as to why they switched to electronic wastegate control vs. pure mechanical.

What is "TVIC"?
Sponsored