First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, from what I understand- catch cans will void your powertrain portion of your warranty.
Sponsored

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Itā€™s because the 2.7 has a combination port and Direct injection, so that the ā€œ Carbonā€™d upā€ valves get washed off by gasoline.
But to get that additional port injection they have added twice the number of injectors, another lower pressure pump, more lines, hoses, connections etc. I understand the rational behind it but seems like more stuff to leak, replace, monitor maintain. An additional level of additional complexity...a bandaid. I'm going to take my chances with the 2.3. Have to anyway because I want the manual!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am wondering about this same thing, and I keep going back and forth. I think the 2.7 v6 is a better design, but to an earlier point, there is not a lot of difference in displacement here. You're either going with a single turbo, fairly large displacement 4-cylinder, or you're going with a twin turbo, fairly small displacement 6-cylinder.

I don't think either will be "fast" in the Bronco and for my purposes I'm looking at the manual Badlands, which means I'd have the 4.7 gears in the back too, so I'm sure it would feel fine.

At the same time, I'm coming from a Hellcat Challenger with 707 HP, so no matter what, either of these is going to feel deathly slow to me.

Staticclism

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
230k mile 1996 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Full disclaimer: I don't have any direct experience with the Ford 2.3.

That said, the amount of use and abuse I put the 1.8T turbo four I had in my '98 Audi A4 through was obscene; I drove that car to places most people wouldn't take their 4Runners (high mountain Forest Service roads that hadn't been maintained in well over two decades, 23" of freshly fallen snow). Eventually ended up going full send with upgrades (4:1 center differential, GT28RS big turbo setup, higher flow injectors and upgraded coil packs, full turbo back exhaust and custom tune) with a stock head / internals and even pushing out double its rated factory horsepower rating (and more than double torque numbers) the only real weak link was motor mounts which I had to replace after 40k miles running the fully modified setup. The engine ran flawlessly until a roommate of mine totaled the car - I got the car with 86k miles on the odometer, and it was totaled with just over 160k on the clock in three years.

I have little to no concern that the 2.3 will be both more than adequate and pretty robust. Just looking at power numbers the output of the 2.3 is similar to the older V8s Broncos could be had with while returning better fuel economy; at this point - in my opinion - the "hurr durr I gotta have a V8" is essentially just a cognitive bias / a talking point. I definitely want the manual, so I'm hoping that the rumors of them offering the Hybrid Bronco with a manual come to fruition.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No it won't.
If Ford decides to deem your catch can as the culprit for your engine issue/failure( whether you think it is or not) , they wonā€™t cover it. You can buy THESE , but the disclaimer also tells you its not to pass emissions and or be driven on public roads/ for racing use only. I donā€™t agree with any of that... its just simple catch can, but... the fact is, they will deny coverage based on a catch can IF they deem the catch can the cause. Maybe one can get lucky and a dealer will glance over it intentionally, but its a liability if you are interested in your powertrain warranty. The internetā€™s are full of this discussion.

Staticclism

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
230k mile 1996 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Should look like it belongs there.
Wow you weren't kidding. Poking around the instructions PDF on the part page the install guide pictures show it fairly well, you'd never even know it was there unless you knew beforehand.

BattleBornBronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

from what little i know about these engines the 2.7 has something that reduces carbon buildup that the 2.3 doesnt
I am concerned about carbon buildup too, but I'm hoping it's mitigated. Not sure how accurate this is, but the Ranger 2.3 might have a separator assy built in. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/oil-separator-vs-catch-can.8714/#post-158698

Still, people have posted pictures of oil pooling in their aftermarket catch cans which means we might be better off than Mustang 2.3s, but there is still some making it through even on the Ranger 2.3.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If Ford decides to deem your catch can as the culprit for your engine issue/failure( whether you think it is or not) , they wonā€™t cover it. You can buy THESE , but the disclaimer also tells you its not to pass emissions and or be driven on public roads/ for racing use only. I donā€™t agree with any of that... its just simple catch can, but... the fact is, they will deny coverage based on a catch can IF they deem the catch can the cause. Maybe one can get lucky and a dealer will glance over it intentionally, but its a liability if you are interested in your powertrain warranty. The internetā€™s are full of this discussion.

Yes, if it affects a part or system, then it can be denied. It will not void your whole powertrain warranty.

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco 2.3L reliability 1597347015959

Ford Bronco 2.3L reliability 1597347427142

OK I'm done.... knew I would see this topic. BIG debate on most sport car forums. The one thing I know is the one I have on my Camaro has oil in it every time I do a change. This oil would be going in otherwise ..... drum role... now the debate if the car burns it yada, yada yada.

Makes me feel better...... OUT

Ford Bronco 2.3L reliability 1597347639488

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also says right there on their page that it's intended for off street/competitive use only and likely makes your emissions illegal. :)
I promise not to drive it in CA.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, if it affects a part or system, then it can be denied. It will not void your whole powertrain warranty.
[/QUOTE
Pardon my semantics, but I never said whole. The dealer knows their way around the Magnuson Moss Act and blame you accordingly.
Sponsored