Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t seen anyone mention this before so I thought I would put this out there.
I have a ‘22 Badlands 2.3L 7MT with 21k mikes in it. I do have Sport mode enabled via ForeScan. Recently when I am in Sport mode if I do a hard acceleration in 1st gear and get the RPMs up to 3.8ish I will get a backfire. It doesn’t do it every time but usually in the first few minutes of driving.
it just started doing this so I don’t have many details on when it does versus when it doesn’t backfire, only that it takes a hard acceleration and high RPMs.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Backfire is rich air/fuel, makes sense you're seeing it on a cold start at WOT in sport though but would think the computer would catch it.

Either take it in to the dealer to look at it or modify your morning routine with a good warm up period before hitting the redline.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you sure it’s a backfire and not a misfire?

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What he said. All EFI vehicles have a routine on startup. It'll run rich to protect the motor. You shouldn't be pushing a vehicle that hard until it's fully warmed up. Your backfire is driver error, not truck error.

OP
OP
MannyG20

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What he said. All EFI vehicles have a routine on startup. It'll run rich to protect the motor. You shouldn't be pushing a vehicle that hard until it's fully warmed up. Your backfire is driver error, not truck error.
I can accept driver’s error. (y)

Sponsored

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I haven’t seen anyone mention this before so I thought I would put this out there.
I have a ‘22 Badlands 2.3L 7MT with 21k mikes in it. I do have Sport mode enabled via ForeScan. Recently when I am in Sport mode if I do a hard acceleration in 1st gear and get the RPMs up to 3.8ish I will get a backfire. It doesn’t do it every time but usually in the first few minutes of driving.
it just started doing this so I don’t have many details on when it does versus when it doesn’t backfire, only that it takes a hard acceleration and high RPMs.
it just got cold in texas, so the cold start fuel compensation is much higher than it has been when the weather was warmer. Also its not a great idea to run the motor hard before its warmed up.

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 2.3L in the focus RS back fires. But the Bronco probably shouldn't. I have heard some broncos with the 2.3 with a slight burble maybe to make it sound a little more mean, of they may have had an exhaust.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the MRT Trail Rated Axleback, I get a ton of burble in winter running Normal Mode. Even a few little pops/backfires till it warms up.

If you are quick to clutch in(especially while cold) the engine hasn’t scavenged its cylinders fully, additionally it’s running a richer AFR… Sport mode will further increase the audibles due to the mapping on throttle lift off (cancelling the revhang/scavenging)

Add all of this up together and you’ll find a bit of extra noise comin out the tail pipe
Sponsored