First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 M240i, 95 Prelude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see the 2024 mustang is getting an updated 2.3 engine with port and direct injection.

Will the 2024 Bronco receive this update too or just the same 2.3 as before?
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Same, haven't heard when/if we'll get the new setup.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Makes sense. I guess Mustang performance vs Bronco/Ranger performance are completely different agendas.
It might not be a bad thing to let the Mustang teeth it for awhile.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Seems weird that ford would sell 2 different versions of the same motor, but as someone else said maybe let those guys be the Guinee pig.

Sponsored

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see the 2024 mustang is getting an updated 2.3 engine with port and direct injection.

Will the 2024 Bronco receive this update too or just the same 2.3 as before?
The "BIG" advantage w/the port/direct injection combo is due to the problem w/the carbon buildup on the valves w/the present direct injection system.
The valves don't get washed off w/direct injection, as they do w/the port injection.
So it's a combination of the best of both worlds.
Toyota has been using this combo for a while now.

The best way presently to keep the valves free of the carbon w/the present direct injection system, as best you can that is, is to:
1. Use a good detergent Tier 3 Fuel like Chevron w/its Techron.
2. Perhaps the most important thing, not to do shorties around town, especially in the winter, which don't allow for the engine to get up to full operating temperature. Take her on the highway in order to get her up to the full operating temperature.
Add some Techron additive to the fuel tank once a month.

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The "BIG" advantage w/the port/direct injection combo is due to the problem w/the carbon buildup on the valves w/the present direct injection system.
The valves don't get washed off w/direct injection, as they do w/the port injection.

The best way presently to keep the valves free of the carbon w/the present direct injection system, as best you can that is, is to:
2. Perhaps the most important thing, not to do shorties around town, especially in the winter, which don't allow for the engine to get up to full operating temperature. Take her on the highway in order to get her up to the full operating temperature.
Yeah, that’s a major concern for me. My commute is just over a mile. I try to drive it a bit more - but, some days I just want to get to work and home. I used to use Techron in my VWs…perhaps it’s time to research that more for this vehicle.

OP
OP
McLovin80

McLovin80

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 M240i, 95 Prelude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I work from home so the average trip is a short one. I usually let my vehicle get up to temp before driving, which doesn't take long in FL, and I run 93 everytime.

I have had several turbo vehicles but never ran a catch can. I prefer an AOS if available.

My favorite turbo was the 2.3 DIZI in my Mazdaspeed3. My WRX STi had the best aftermarket IAG AOS set up, but that 2.5 boxer engine had more flaws than any other turbo I owned and needed all the help it could get.

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I work from home so the average trip is a short one. I usually let my vehicle get up to temp before driving, which doesn't take long in FL, and I run 93 everytime.

I have had several turbo vehicles but never ran a catch can. I prefer an AOS if available.

My favorite turbo was the 2.3 DIZI in my Mazdaspeed3. My WRX STi had the best aftermarket IAG AOS set up, but that 2.5 boxer engine had more flaws than any other turbo I owned and needed all the help it could get.
IAG just released the AOS for the Bronco. What’s the difference between that and a catch can? I thought they were the same difference.

I want to get one for our Ranger - but, I’m dreading that install.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do they mention if new engine getting a HO/TQ bump??

if so probably have to get the 2.7 EB a little more also as inticement to potential buyers…

Sponsored
OP
OP
McLovin80

McLovin80

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 M240i, 95 Prelude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IAG just released the AOS for the Bronco. What’s the difference between that and a catch can? I thought they were the same difference.

I want to get one for our Ranger - but, I’m dreading that install.
This is my dumbed down descriptions:
Catch can is literally just as it sounds. It catches the "blow-by" (aka the oil and fuel vapors) allowing it to condense and be drained.
An air-oil separator (AOS) filters/separates air from blow-by and sends it back to the crankcase, so there's nothing to drain.
AOS install is more complicated than a catch can but worth the effort.

I noticed Ford makes an AOS for the 2.3 https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-B23 which looks pretty easy to install. I might go that route, since it's OEM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McLovin80

McLovin80

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 M240i, 95 Prelude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do they mention if new engine getting a HO/TQ bump??

if so probably have to get the 2.7 EB a little more also as inticement to potential buyers…
Ford's website is showing the same specs as 2023 on the B&P page 275/315 or 300/325 with premium gas.

Definitely not complaining as those are still solid numbers, plus you can get the performance pack to bump up to 330/385.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

This is my dumbed down descriptions:
Catch can is literally just as it sounds. It catches the "blow-by" (aka the oil and fuel vapors) allowing it to condense and be drained.
An air-oil separator (AOS) filters/separates air from blow-by and sends it back to the crankcase, so there's nothing to drain.
AOS install is more complicated than a catch can but worth the effort.

I noticed Ford makes an AOS for the 2.3 https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-B23 which looks pretty easy to install. I might go that route, since it's OEM.
I think you and I were looking up the same thing, here's the thread on the Ford offering

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ford-performance-air-oil-separator.74053/

I'm not very knowledgeable on this topic but doesn't the 2.3 already have an AOS? Lots of back and forth on the catch cans but with my own 2.3 on the way I be want do my best to keep it clean.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love this, especially if someone figures out how to swap the setup.

That's actually a catch can, since you can remove the lower portion to empty it out. I do agree about an AOS, I have a catch can on my TT and it does collect fluid but not much, and plenty of Subaru guys like the IAG. I had a turbo Outback so I know the EJ25's issues, mine blew up like plenty of others did.

OP
OP
McLovin80

McLovin80

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 M240i, 95 Prelude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love this, especially if someone figures out how to swap the setup.

That's actually a catch can, since you can remove the lower portion to empty it out. I do agree about an AOS, I have a catch can on my TT and it does collect fluid but not much, and plenty of Subaru guys like the IAG. I had a turbo Outback so I know the EJ25's issues, mine blew up like plenty of others did.
I thought it looked a bit too easy of an install for an AOS. I like how they consider it a performance part versus offering it as standard part of the engine.

The part is like an "easy button" for the average Bronco owner. Just have to remember to check it.
Sponsored

Last edited: