Sponsored

2.7 Adv 4x4 OBX 2 Door Build - Front LSD, HF Winch, RC Hidden Mount/Skid Plate - DUNDRTY

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So it's going to have a VERY hard time getting the winch in there. On the positive note the kit was only $310 and it gave me a front skid plate and.... I trimmed the stock liscence plate holder and it matched up to the fairlead holes perfectly.
That came out sweet!!! Even without the winch in there yet. Nicely played.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Putting the hidden RC winch in is going to be pretty tough. Will definitly need some plumbing work.

2021-11-22 15.37.01.jpg

2021-11-22 15.47.00.jpg
I've had a pretty crap day...thanks for the salt :cry:

Too bad the winch can't go in front of that and use those frame extenders to partially mount to. But I guess at that point it'd be sticking out too far and the bumper wouldn't fit.

But to me, some aftermarket company was some creativity can take this idea merge it with a replacement bumper and put the winch basically in the same spot but just more forward to clear the heat exchanger.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got my Bronco yesterday, so I have started working on it. Getting some breakin miles done today.

20211120_123049.jpg

20211120_123037.jpg

20211120_122519.jpg
I dig the monochromatic look those wheels give! I contemplate having the dark grey recesses of the stock BL wheels cerakoted to match the Velocity Blue and let the machined faces really stand out. Blue spokes looked great on my old Buell.

20211114_065408.jpg

FB_IMG_1637819505998.jpg

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Putting the hidden RC winch in is going to be pretty tough. Will definitly need some plumbing work.

2021-11-22 15.37.01.jpg

2021-11-22 15.47.00.jpg
BTW, I was prefitting the RC stuff yesterday and my heat exchanger looked a little different and potentially easier to relocate. I will have to take pictures next time. However, the plates are in place now. :)

20211205_104615.jpg

DadBronco

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
BTW, I was prefitting the RC stuff yesterday and my heat exchanger looked a little different and potentially easier to relocate. I will have to take pictures next time. However, the plates are in place now. :)

Ford Bronco 2.7 Adv 4x4 OBX 2 Door Build - Front LSD, HF Winch, RC Hidden Mount/Skid Plate - DUNDRTY 20211205_104615
Yeah it actually works perfect for the license plus gets a skid plate for cheap money. Bit of a pain in the ass to install though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah it actually works perfect for the license plus gets a skid plate for cheap money. Bit of a pain in the ass to install though.
I really like the RC recovery horns.

It was suggested that the hidden winch mount would decrease the approach angle. If it does negatively impact approach angle, it is not by anything significant. Whatever approach angle I may have lost, I am sure I more than recovered with the taller tires.

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Heritage, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That is such a clean look, especially while retaining the standard bumper! I'll follow your progress on the winch install with interest!
Also eager to see how your results with the LSD install on the M190 . . . I originally spec'd out your drive train for my OBX, but chickened out and went Sasquatch because of the welded ring gear.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is such a clean look, especially while retaining the standard bumper! I'll follow your progress on the winch install with interest!
Also eager to see how your results with the LSD install on the M190 . . . I originally spec'd out your drive train for my OBX, but chickened out and went Sasquatch because of the welded ring gear.
It may work out, or it may not, who knows. I do like the look and the fact that I kept my fog lights!

A few beach pictures from today.
20211205_115526.jpg

20211205_115533.jpg

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really like the RC recovery horns.

It was suggested that the hidden winch mount would decrease the approach angle. If it does negatively impact approach angle, it is not by anything significant. Whatever approach angle I may have lost, I am sure I more than recovered with the taller tires.
Any progress on your hidden winch?

I'm eagerly waiting to see if you come up with something.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh man, I saw this post got updated and thought maybe he finally did get around to it. Guess we'll still have to wait.

I don't blame them, I probably wait until my engine blew or didn't blow before I tampered with the heat exchanger, cuz God knows Ford would use it as an excuse

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh man, I saw this post got updated and thought maybe he finally did get around to it. Guess we'll still have to wait.

I don't blame them, I probably wait until my engine blew or didn't blow before I tampered with the heat exchanger, cuz God knows Ford would use it as an excuse
Well, I will probably be past 9000 miles next week, so at some point I just need to go for it. I might be able to knock it out next weekend. I have been getting a whole bunch of other stuff knocked out (new garage/storage space, cutting down trees, moving vehicles, garage wiring, etc). So, I am pretty close to having everything set up to go.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, I will probably be past 9000 miles next week, so at some point I just need to go for it. I might be able to knock it out next weekend. I have been getting a whole bunch of other stuff knocked out (new garage/storage space, cutting down trees, moving vehicles, garage wiring, etc). So, I am pretty close to having everything set up to go.
Did you see this? Fortunately no pictures, and no details that are that helpful. The key to all this was there was something involved with just raising the heat exchanger up higher and it worked.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/winch-on-modular-bumper-badlands.31551/post-1214344

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well it's been a minute... part of the issue is that this is currently my daily driver (36k miles in 10 months). Which limits my ability to tear it apart at times.

I did finally get the Badlands suspension in the Bronco and hope to begin the process of finishing the winch over the next few weeks.

On the up side, performance has been awesome. I still need to add the Torsen to the front axle.

Currently has 12" under the front skid and just over 10" under the rear differential (at least that's what my gf said 😂). The Badlands Shocks and springs are much stiffer than the OBX shocks and springs. Less highway smoothness, but better off-road feel/performance.

Slowly making progress... with other minor upgrades along the way.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That came out sweet!!! Even without the winch in there yet. Nicely played.
Well, it took forever to get around to it, but the winch is in there. There's not a lot of room to fit it, and honestly, I am not happy with the current installation. I intend to remotely mount the heat exchanger closer to the transmission.

The lack of room makes it impossible to freewheel the winch currently.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Adv 4x4 OBX 2 Door Build - Front LSD, HF Winch, RC Hidden Mount/Skid Plate - DUNDRTY IMG_20221024_165818

However, it does all fit. One of the best tools that I picked up were these fluid clamps.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Adv 4x4 OBX 2 Door Build - Front LSD, HF Winch, RC Hidden Mount/Skid Plate - DUNDRTY Screenshot_2022-10-24-17-23-02-478

I picked up two sets, and this pretty much limited fluid loss from the transmission and cooling system. These are worth every penny.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, I am down to the last few upgrades that I still have to do. The next big project will be the Torsen front differential.

Couple of notes to date.

As far as suspension goes, the Badlands setup has been great, but I wonder if I would have been better served with the Bilstein 6100's. I am really digging the Badlands Bilsteins. Even with the winch up front it essentially handles the same.

The RC hidden winch mount is still a great setup, but the HF APEX Badlands 12k synthetic winch takes up every inch under there. If you don't have the ACC sensor or Front Camera, you might want to consider something else. As the installation was a major pain in the ass.

I have run 3 different tires on the Bronco so far. The stock OBX, stock Black Diamond, and the Patagonia M/T. The OBX tires are the quietest, but the General Grabbers from the Black Diamond edition are nearly as quiet, but seem to be a better all terrain tire, the Patagonia M/Ts are noticeably louder but they are excellent off-road. If I was going to pick one for all scenarios, I would go with the General Grabbers, they have been doing really well on and off-road.
Sponsored