jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wondering whether others experience the occasional hard shift when accelerating, particularly when traveling at a constant speed and then accelerating quickly? Most of the time shifting is pretty smooth, even when driving more aggressively. However occasionally when "stepping on it" while already moving, my Bronco shifts so hard its startling. Feels like a clunk from the back axle, almost like I've hit something.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wondering whether others experience the occasional hard shift when accelerating, particularly when traveling at a constant speed and then accelerating quickly? Most of the time shifting is pretty smooth, even when driving more aggressively. However occasionally when "stepping on it" while already moving, my Bronco shifts so hard its startling. Feels like a clunk from the back axle, almost like I've hit something.
Hello, Jason!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
Iā€™d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this transmission concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

OP
OP
donkeygoatrunner

donkeygoatrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone, or am I it?

Murph56789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos/F350s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine seems to almost miss a shift and then shift very hard occasionally. Only happens at slower speed when the bronco is completely cold, and when I accelerate more. Never happens after itā€™s warm. And 6000 miles now with no other issues. I would say it happened way more often for the first 1000 miles though, more rare now.

Sponsored

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine seems to almost miss a shift and then shift very hard occasionally. Only happens at slower speed when the bronco is completely cold, and when I accelerate more. Never happens after itā€™s warm. And 6000 miles now with no other issues. I would say it happened way more often for the first 1000 miles though, more rare now.
Now that you mention it, cold acceleration into traffic was very jerky for the first ā‰ˆ 5000 miles or so. At almost 7000 this morning I didn't notice it at all, I wonder if it's a "learning" thing that just takes time.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The hard upshift when cold is a common and generally harmless quirk of the 10R80, but significantly less common on the 10R60. GM has started to use full synthetic transmission fluid in their version of the 10R80 to correct this. If this is happening when the transmission is warm I would definitely take it in to your dealer as that isn't normal.

OP
OP
donkeygoatrunner

donkeygoatrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The hard upshift when cold is a common and generally harmless quirk of the 10R80, but significantly less common on the 10R60. GM has started to use full synthetic transmission fluid in their version of the 10R80 to correct this. If this is happening when the transmission is warm I would definitely take it in to your dealer as that isn't normal.
Thanks. Taking it in for an early oil change next week and will have the dealer take a look.

MoonPig

Outer Banks
First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe this is related to what I'm experiencing. Just made a post about it a few minutes ago if you check my history.

It's hard to explain, but it's almost like the Bronco lags if you try to speed up. Mine is also super jerky when shifting from park to drive. Having a hard time figuring out if this is normal or not šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone, or am I it?
The 10r80 would shift really hard in my f150 going from 10-6 when I floored it. Ford was never able to figure it out and I ended up trading the truck. My new one isnā€™t near as bad but occasionally it will do it kind of hard. My bronco has been perfect to date.

Sponsored

ale.nieto

Badlands
First Name
Ale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. Taking it in for an early oil change next week and will have the dealer take a look.
Hi, were they able to figure this out? Iā€™m starting to have similar issues, I took it to my dealer they couldnā€™t figure it out and said they couldnā€™t replicate the issue and gave it back but it started happening again.

OP
OP
donkeygoatrunner

donkeygoatrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi, were they able to figure this out? Iā€™m starting to have similar issues, I took it to my dealer they couldnā€™t figure it out and said they couldnā€™t replicate the issue and gave it back but it started happening again.
Dealer looked at it but said it was part of normal break in period. Thought they were full of BS but the issue did go away after about 5k miles.

ale.nieto

Badlands
First Name
Ale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealer looked at it but said it was part of normal break in period. Thought they were full of BS but the issue did go away after about 5k miles.
Weird, mines at about 10k so maybe itā€™s not the same issue. Thanks!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird, mines at about 10k so maybe itā€™s not the same issue. Thanks!
Mine developed a hard 2-3 upshift probably after about 3K miles.
IT felt like it got firmer shifting at that same point along the line, but has maintained it most of the time when taking off with more than one toe on the pedal.
When I took it in maybe 2 weeks back for an alignment check at 21K and mentioned it, they could not replicate the issue.
Although it happens 90% of the time.
Doing some reading and talking to others who own Rangers with the same trans, I've been told "it's common" a lot more than "Hey that's not normal."
I was concerned as our '19 Z71 had a similar issue then had torque convertor shudder that I had to take it to the dealer for.
After a flush and refill with syn fluid, no issue.

So good luck in your search. Consensus overall is "it's normal."

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me, nothing that I would not expect when swinging the petal. Instead of easing into it. If I accelerate hard, I pretty much expect the shifting to get harsher.
Sponsored