CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They are available separately on the Bronco.
Older ecoboosts with vacuum style wastegates they were not.
Good to know. Doubt a dealer will rebuild one, but for the grease monkey/penny pincher in all of us nice to have options.
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update 1/22/2021

Just got my truck back from service for the turbos. As per the repair ticket "Found excessive axial play in compressor wheels and verify compressor wheels contacting compressor housing on both turbos with damage to fins on turbos. Remove both turbos and replace Found coolant and oil tubes would not come out of turbo housing without damage and required replacement Replace all lines hardware and gaskets"

The parts list was quite extensive. I'm sure glad it was covered under warranty as I imagine it would have been quite expensive.

For those speculating and wanting to know more about the history of the truck, I've had it a little over 3 years, let the dealer do the first complimentary oil change at 7500 miles, and performed an oil change every 7500 miles after with Pennzoil Platinum and a Ford oil filter. Oil life monitor always showed plenty of oil life left and quick calculations showed olm would have gone to 0 at 10,000 miles or more. It's been a daily driver and I never towed anything with it. I would say I drive conservatively with an occasional spirited driving if I have to pee.

I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
I had my first oil change around 2000 miles, actually wanted to do it earlier, and every 5000 miles there after...break-in is the most important time for your motor.
My experience with EcoBoost engines is they need much more care and maintenance than usual, I had 215,000 miles on my Focus ST with no oil consumption or noticeable power loss, when I traded it in...it was a great car/motor, wish I would have kept it!