Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes to all. Early on I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum but after the turbos went the first time I switched to Mobil extended performance. Did a coolant change to gold in the spring. Spark plugs, filters, brake fluid, you name it.
Bad luck then. Ugh sorry.
Sponsored

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, sounds like you found you're issue and just don't realize it. I used to work in a high end independent shop with 13 Techs and we always discussed types of oils. at one point we ran controlled tests on different oils and found Pennzoil dropped 10 lbs oil pressure, amazed me and I can't tell you why it did that but since then I have stayed away from Pennz and Fram. really don 't want to start the oil wars and hope I don't. Just the facts. Also was fortunate to use the Machine shop that built engines for John Force and during the tour of his shop he was telling me about some failures of John's engines that they could not sort out. They finally called the engineers at Castrol and they immediately said please don't use Castrol oil use Mobil-1. DWMYH and please don't hate me. Jim

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, just saw you're last post. Good decision.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, sounds like you found you're issue and just don't realize it. I used to work in a high end independent shop with 13 Techs and we always discussed types of oils. at one point we ran controlled tests on different oils and found Pennzoil dropped 10 lbs oil pressure, amazed me and I can't tell you why it did that but since then I have stayed away from Pennz and Fram. really don 't want to start the oil wars and hope I don't. Just the facts. Also was fortunate to use the Machine shop that built engines for John Force and during the tour of his shop he was telling me about some failures of John's engines that they could not sort out. They finally called the engineers at Castrol and they immediately said please don't use Castrol oil use Mobil-1. DWMYH and please don't hate me. Jim
I call BS on that. Pennzoil is a great brand and Pennzoil Platinum is one of the best oils on the market from third party testing and consumer feedback. Bobistheoilguy.com forum loves Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and Platinum is one of their go to oils. Whatever test you all ran surely was not scientific enough, nor had a large enough sample to output real results.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...VkYXBwLnN0YXRpYy9pbmRleC5odG1sP2xhbmc9ZW4tVVM

PP meets a ton of stringent testing including Ford WSS-M2C946-A and Dexos1.

I've run Platinum and Ultra Platinum on my track cars, where I very closely monitor vitals (especially oil pressure) and log them.

Viscosity will be slightly different between different brands and different SKUs of oil, but 5W-30 is 5W-30... Not enough of a difference to change oil pressure by 10 pounds...

Also oil pressure is not the same as oil flow. Oil pumps create oil flow, pressure is a result of restriction. Say you switch from a dino oil that is a "heavier" 5W-30 to a full synthetic lighter 5W-30, you might see lower oil pressure. Low oil pressure doesn't mean less oil flow or volume, in fact in that example it would be the opposite, switching to the slightly lighter oil that is also synthetic, would flow better, both cold and hot.

EDIT: be careful with oil filters, I only ever use OEM oil filters on every vehicle that I own. I've seen aftermarket filters on other platforms not have things like a relief port (where the OEM filter did) that will wreck oil pressure. High performance cars will use the exact same filter as the economy, or base trim version with zero negatives. The Mustang comes to mind, same generic Motorcraft filter among stripper work trucks to track package Mustangs.

EDIT2: I can't remember if I read the comment here, but also be careful with high volume lube shops, they will either A) put in whatever the cheapest oil they bought bulk into your vehicle regardless of what you "purchased," or B) can have serious contamination issues by using the same pumps and hoses from other oil changes.

A good high volume lube shop will open the bottles in front of you and pour them in.

Last edited:

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those speculating and wanting to know more about the history of the truck, I've had it a little over 3 years, let the dealer do the first complimentary oil change at 7500 miles, and performed an oil change every 7500 miles after with Pennzoil Platinum and a Ford oil filter.

Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
Shell out for Mobile 1.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Update: So my F150 now has 67,000 miles and the turbos are shot again! Last time at about 40k miles almost 3 years ago (I had to look up my op cause it seems like yesterday they last went). I don’t beat it, and I changed the oil with full synthetic every 5-6k miles since the turbos last went. What is going wrong? Also, since I’m out of warranty, anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket?
Have you ever run a UOA of the oil to see how much fuel dilution is happening and thereby reducing the viscosity? Although new, my 2.7L had 2.5% dilution with only 1,000 miles on the oil and those were 100% highway miles from Texas to Colorado.

I will be testing my regularly to understand how much dilution is happening so that I can adjust the oil change interval accordingly.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have you ever run a UOA of the oil to see how much fuel dilution is happening and thereby reducing the viscosity? Although new, my 2.7L had 2.5% dilution with only 1,000 miles on the oil and those were 100% highway miles from Texas to Colorado.

I will be testing my regularly to understand how much dilution is happening so that I can adjust the oil change interval accordingly.
The 2.3l can have pretty severe fuel dilution.

Totally agree with you on this. Monitoring oil level is something we should all do. My Corvette's owners manual tells me to check the oil level every tank of gas. I don't do that, but I do check once a month. If your oil level creeps up you probably have fuel dilution. A good SP oil like Pennzoil Platinum can help prevent or handle fuel dilution, up to a point. IIRC less than 2% is ideal.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I call BS on that. Pennzoil is a great brand and Pennzoil Platinum is one of the best oils on the market from third party testing and consumer feedback. Bobistheoilguy.com forum loves Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and Platinum is one of their go to oils. Whatever test you all ran surely was not scientific enough, nor had a large enough sample to output real results.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...VkYXBwLnN0YXRpYy9pbmRleC5odG1sP2xhbmc9ZW4tVVM

PP meets a ton of stringent testing including Ford WSS-M2C946-A and Dexos1.

I've run Platinum and Ultra Platinum on my track cars, where I very closely monitor vitals (especially oil pressure) and log them.

Viscosity will be slightly different between different brands and different SKUs of oil, but 5W-30 is 5W-30... Not enough of a difference to change oil pressure by 10 pounds...

Also oil pressure is not the same as oil flow. Oil pumps create oil flow, pressure is a result of restriction. Say you switch from a dino oil that is a "heavier" 5W-30 to a full synthetic lighter 5W-30, you might see lower oil pressure. Low oil pressure doesn't mean less oil flow, in fact in that example it would be the opposite, switching to the slightly lighter oil that is also synthetic, would flow better, both cold and hot.

EDIT: be careful with oil filters, I only ever use OEM oil filters on every vehicle that I own. I've seen aftermarket filters on other platforms not have things like a relief port that will wreck oil pressure. High performance cars will use the exact same filter as the economy, or base trim version with zero negatives. The Mustang comes to mind, same generic Motorcraft filter among stripper work trucks to track package Mustangs.

EDIT2: I can't remember if I read the comment here, but also be careful with high volume lube shops, they will either A) put in whatever the cheapest oil they bought bulk into your vehicle regardless of what you "purchased," or B) can have serious contamination issues by using the same pumps and hoses from other oil changes.

A good high volume lube shop will open the bottles in front of you and pour them in.
Agree and would love to know what "controlled tests" were being used along with what ASTM testing methodologies were applied to determine that Pennzoil lost 10 pounds of oil pressure when other oils did not--smells of complete bovine scatology to me.

All modern engines have positive displacement oil pumps and while there is a viscosity range for xW-30 oils that is between 9.3 and 12.5 cSt @100°C that would not be enough to cause such a pressure differential. Even xW-20 would not experience a 10 pound pressure drop between oil brands...

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree and would love to know what "controlled tests" were being used along with what ASTM testing methodologies were applied to determine that Pennzoil lost 10 pounds of oil pressure when other oils did not--smells of complete bovine scatology to me.

All modern engines have positive displacement oil pumps and while there is a viscosity range for xW-30 oils that is between 9.3 and 12.5 cSt @100°C that would not be enough to cause such a pressure differential. Even xW-20 would not experience a 10 pound pressure drop between oil brands...
100%

And usually oil filters are the cause of oil pressure changes between OCIs.

Either switching brands of oil filter, or going from a dirty, restrictive filter to a brand new clean one.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
100%

And usually oil filters are the cause of oil pressure changes between OCIs.

Either switching brands of oil filter, or going from a dirty, restrictive filter to a brand new clean one.
Mobile 1 and 87k miles. I am not switching to Penzoil anytime soon.

Sponsored

Willub

Badlands
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aren’t the 2.7s in the f150s known to have issues caused by the turbo oil feed screens?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Be careful between PP and Ultra... They don't always meet the same specs.

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been using Motorcraft synthetic blend for years and never had any issues.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Okay, I read post 1 and skipped to the end since:

No actual 6g Bronco orders, only reservations, had been placed in December of 2020 or even his update in January 2021. his issues (and if he had repeat issues with same vehicle) are/were NOT with a Bronco but an f-150.

You can't compare Granny Smith apples to Honey Crisp. I believe the admins should relabel this thread to ensure it does not mislead people that there were turbo issues long before the first turbo Bronco was delivered

Now, if the OP's Bronco 's turbos just crapped out at 40,000 miles that's different but I do not plan on reading through 9 pages to verify but I will stand corrected if that is the case.

If this is instead an oil discussion, Ford has a spec and do not use any oil that does not have that spec printed on the container - but you certainly can go above that spec - full synthetic rather than blend, for example - or buy the brand from the actual manufacturer of the base stock of nearly all synthetic motor oil "refined" in the US - Schaeffer
Sponsored