Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Okay, I read post 1 and skipped to the end since:

No actual 6g Bronco orders, only reservations, had been placed in December of 2020 or even his update in January 2021. his issues (and if he had repeat issues with same vehicle) are/were NOT with a Bronco but an f-150.

You can't compare Granny Smith apples to Honey Crisp. I believe the admins should relabel this thread to ensure it does not mislead people that there were turbo issues long before the first turbo Bronco was delivered

Now, if the OP's Bronco 's turbos just crapped out at 40,000 miles that's different but I do not plan on reading through 9 pages to verify but I will stand corrected if that is the case.

If this is instead an oil discussion, Ford has a spec and do not use any oil that does not have that spec printed on the container - but you certainly can go above that spec - full synthetic rather than blend, for example - or buy the brand from the actual manufacturer of the base stock of nearly all synthetic motor oil "refined" in the US - Schaeffer
Good point! Judging by the time stamp, I'd assume his 2.7l is the first generation as well.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Okay, I read post 1 and skipped to the end since:

No actual 6g Bronco orders, only reservations, had been placed in December of 2020 or even his update in January 2021. his issues (and if he had repeat issues with same vehicle) are/were NOT with a Bronco but an f-150.

You can't compare Granny Smith apples to Honey Crisp. I believe the admins should relabel this thread to ensure it does not mislead people that there were turbo issues long before the first turbo Bronco was delivered

Now, if the OP's Bronco 's turbos just crapped out at 40,000 miles that's different but I do not plan on reading through 9 pages to verify but I will stand corrected if that is the case.

If this is instead an oil discussion, Ford has a spec and do not use any oil that does not have that spec printed on the container - but you certainly can go above that spec - full synthetic rather than blend, for example - or buy the brand from the actual manufacturer of the base stock of nearly all synthetic motor oil "refined" in the US - Schaeffer
Good point...except the Schaeffer's reference. They do not supply the base stock for nearly all synthetic motor oil "refined" in the US--that would be Shell and XOM.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good point...except the Schaeffer's reference. They do not supply the base stock for nearly all synthetic motor oil "refined" in the US--that would be Shell and XOM.
Only what I was told when I sold their finished product over 15 years ago.

And happens to be what my 2.7 is running after its most recent oil change. It is a decent product IMHO

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Only what I was told when I sold their finished product over 15 years ago.

And happens to be what my 2.7 is running after its most recent oil change. It is a decent product IMHO
No argument about it being a good product and I have used it in the past. However, it is not possible that a small manufacturer like Schaeffer's can provide more synthetic base stocks than the likes of BP, ExxonMobil, Shell, and Total.

Schaeffer's lives in the millions range and the aforementioned live in the billions range.

There is no comparison.

Last edited:

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welp, my turbos may be shot as well. Just over 2 years since we took delivery and during a drive down the highway I noticed that the Bronco was hesitating during passing and on hills. Then the Bronco threw a code and I got a strong scent of turnips (like propane). When I got home I checked the codes, turbo underboost...

Edit: And I'm at about 18,500 miles. All oil changes done at correct intervals and done by Ford dealer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Shell out for Mobile 1.
Yup, now at 67K miles on my 93 tune Fusion 2.7. Have done two more full auto X days since last post. Still hammering it daily. Religous 5K Mobile One Perf changes since the first 1K miles.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You gals/guys with "shot turbos"...what is your oil change interval? Are you changing it on a present mileage aka 5,000 miles or following the OLM?

OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You gals/guys with "shot turbos"...what is your oil change interval? Are you changing it on a present mileage aka 5,000 miles or following the OLM?
I’ve always targeted 5-7.5k miles, but my turbos are “shot” because the the waste gates are worn out, which has nothing to do with the oil. Nothing you can do to prevent a waste gate from wearing out. I’ve found out that it starts with a ding type rattle and ends with a underboost.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve always targeted 5-7.5k miles, but my turbos are “shot” because the the waste gates are worn out, which has nothing to do with the oil. Nothing you can do to prevent a waste gate from wearing out. I’ve found out that it starts with a ding type rattle and ends with a underboost.
So the turbochargers are fine, but the waste gate is what failed?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh man. I hear my rattle all the time. Didn't know they'd eventually go out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So the turbochargers are fine, but the waste gate is what failed?
Yes. The waste gates are part of the turbos so it requires a whole turbo replacement.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes. The waste gates are part of the turbos so it requires a whole turbo replacement.
That's fairly retarded, I find it hard to believe that the wastegate actuators can't be replaced independently. I doubt that the wastegate valve itself is failing, but that is one instance where I could see the entire turbo housing would require replacement.

Seems odd that they don't have component parts available.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's fairly retarded, I find it hard to believe that the wastegate actuators can't be replaced independently. I doubt that the wastegate valve itself is failing, but that is one instance where I could see the entire turbo housing would require replacement.

They are available separately on the Bronco.
Older ecoboosts with vacuum style wastegates they were not.

Lil Mul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2DR Badlands SAS / 2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm sure the turbos can be "rebuilt" but that's not something a dealer is going to do, and at the end of the day the cost savings vs just replacing the whole turbo is probably minimal.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I generally prefer N/A engines over turbo but turbo engines are the norm these days. I really hope I get long life out of the Bronco as I plan to keep it even as my retirement vehicle- which is well after the warranty expires. It's very complicated under the hood and If something major goes wrong with the turbos, etc. after warranty I won't be able to afford to fix it so it will have to go at that point. I have my 87 Squarebody with 5.7 that is so simple to work on by comparison and parts dirt cheap as my back up if the Bronco fails. LOL I can change the whole engine out faster and easier than service the turbos on the Bronco. So far 1.75 years and 8K miles all good on the Bronco, hope it stays that way..........
Sponsored