Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice trip! Only been there once, but this trail just made my list! Glad to see you wheeling hard with both the 2.0 and 3.0 racks. They got a lot of hate (sure it should have launched with the 3.0) but they hold up when not jacked way up. I ran mine for 2 years on some rough stuff, including over a year on 37's.

I like your wheeling philosophy, thats my approach as well. I choose my lines with some mechanical sympathy in mind, but like you said, you can't drive scared. Gotta be confident and if something breaks, so be it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Jonny way

Everglades
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands and Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

The vast majority of people I have heard who have said they broke a tie rod have had front lockers engaged while in a turned position. In the Off-Roadeo the instructor told me that we should always keep the wheels positioned straight when front lockers are engaged and climbing. Curious of others experience in this situation.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The vast majority of people who have said they broke a tie rod have had front lockers engaged while in a turned position. In the Off-Roadeo the instructor told me that we should always keep the wheels positioned straight when front lockers are engaged and climbing. Curious of others experience in this situation.
Your response, should have been what if you need to climb to the right or left. All trails are not straight up. It definitely helps to keep the wheel straight just not practical. I do agree most break I’ve seen the front locker was engaged. Besides the stretching of the tie rod which can happen when hitting your wheel on things.

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just got back from Moab two weeks ago. Such a magical place. I did some light offroading (Cane Creek and Jackson Hole). Too bad all the side by sides are ruining it and getting things shut down. Won't be able to offroad there in another 10 years, hopefully the other sports will live on. Thanks for the videos.

PS is video #5 the start of Hymasa after the creek crossing? Nice climb.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The vast majority of people I have heard who have said they broke a tie rod have had front lockers engaged while in a turned position. In the Off-Roadeo the instructor told me that we should always keep the wheels positioned straight when front lockers are engaged and climbing. Curious of others experience in this situation.
Crawled lots of obstacles at sharp angles in my rubicon with the front lockers engaged, so I'd say sometimes you don't have a choice. What you don't want to do is push off of/away from/into a rock using your steering; you can do that with an RC rock crawler but not a 5000lbs vehicle because it will quickly blow your steering "fuse".

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve spent many hours on my mountain bike at the base of CliffHanger - back when it was called Amasa Back - watching all kinds of vehicles try to clear that first big drop down to Kane Creek. If you can clear that particular drop and the climb immediately after the creek, you know you’re good for the rest of the trail. Very few vehicles leave that trail without a little - or a lot - of body damage. It is a classic!

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey OP,
Nice job driving and thank you for sharing. Great to see a two door put through its paces. That is indeed a challenging trail and one that I will have to put on my bucket list once I upgrade to 37's. Yahoo!

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your response, should have been what if you need to climb to the right or left. All trails are not straight up. It definitely helps to keep the wheel straight just not practical. I do agree most break I’ve seen the front locker was engaged. Besides the stretching of the tie rod which can happen when hitting your wheel on things.
Hi hit my wheels on a lot of rocks over the course of five day.

Sponsored

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This video makes me think... If I took my Bronco to Moab and didn't come home with a broken tie rod.... would anyone even believe I was there... :)
I spent a week in Moab last year. No broken tie rods or body damage.

Must've been a dream.

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great videos, and commentary. Enjoyed it immensely. I'm contemplating hitting myself (and my 4dr Badlands Sas) with a double-dog-dare to attempt it, maybe next year.
Those were Ford Performance tie rods? I got some Ikons on sale. I'll probably install those and keep my OEMs for spares.
What psi did you set your tires on?

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great videos, and commentary. Enjoyed it immensely. I'm contemplating hitting myself (and my 4dr Badlands Sas) with a double-dog-dare to attempt it, maybe next year.
Those were Ford Performance tie rods? I got some Ikons on sale. I'll probably install those and keep my OEMs for spares.
What psi did you set your tires on?
Hi, like your user name I am maybe ten years younger. Yes they were Ford Performance tie rods. I will stay with these for now I would rather a tie rod break than the steering rack. Have not heard of any one else breaking the FP tie rod till now , but it was a hard four days off wheeling. I ran 13 psi on my Mickey Thompson Baja's, very hard side wall. I would run this trail again I like a good challange.

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi, like your user name I am maybe ten years younger. Yes they were Ford Performance tie rods. I will stay with these for now I would rather a tie rod break than the steering rack.
I would run this trail again I like a good challenge.
At my age, I wouldn't attempt Cliffhanger solo, even if I had a full set of tools and likely parts.
Two years ago, I turned 75, and came across a Badlands/Sas cancellation at a dealership. Paid cash for it, even with an obscene markup, but they were very hard to come by in New England. First summer, got out to W.VA, Utah, Nevada (solo) no regrets. My fantasy bucket trip for next year is: Hatfield-McCoys trail system (WVA), a full week of Moab (including Cliffhanger), Pony Express Historic Byway and Snake Valley UT, Pony Express 4x4 trail across Nevada, Rubicon California.

Don't let the old man in!

Trail

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ram 3500, Honda CRV, Charger Hellcat RE
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What an awesome looking adventure.
Sponsored