Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hello,
First post but been lurking here for a good long while while. Like many I was waiting for the august banks to open to put in a Bronco order but now that boat has sailed and I am stuck with zero idea when, or even if I will ever be able to order one in the next couple years so...I have decided to suck it up and pay the price of admission on an ADM truck.

I am looking for a 2 dr BD or BL SAS. I spent 15 years in an FJ40 and a few in a TJ so the 2 dr is right up my alley. But I am now questioning the 2 dr decision based on riding in a friends 4 dr BD softie and how nice the top works.

I love the 2 dr has a hard top and I figured I would just buy an aftermarket soft top like I did with my hard top Wrangler. In researching options I am seriously bummed out to find out that the only available soft top for the new Broncos is a fast back (yeah, I know I am in the minority when it comes to not liking that design) and second it does not fold fully back behind the roll bar like my Wrangler did. That to me seems like such a huge miss I am shocked it doesn't.

I read somewhere a fully folding soft top on a 2 dr is impossible due to the limited space behind the roll bar. To me the 2dr and 4dr look the same in that area but maybe not. It just seems dumb that Ford would design it this way and not have it fold all the way back.

I have been out a few times in my friends 4 dr BD softie and the top works great. It takes very little to have it laying all the way back on the rear tire. I will say though that the rear hatch thing is a total cluster F and I have no idea how Ford thought that thing was okay....total fail in my book. It was an act of congress just to get a box put in and taken out... man give me a zippered take out window any day of the week over that annoying thing....but I digress, I just don't get why the 2 dr can't fold back completely. I am seriously contemplating looking for a 4 dr instead which is a bummer as I want the shorter wheelbase.

So finally to my question, does anyone here with knowledge on how this all works think that at some point Bestop or someone else will figure out how to make a 2 dr soft top that folds all the way back? It really is a huge ding on the 2 dr for my purposes which sucks. I like the smaller footprint of the 2 door, easier to tow behind an RV and just feels more at home based on what I am used to. I am afraid the 2 doors will get the same kind of aftermarket love the 2 dr wranglers are getting where most everything is for the 4 door which is a bigger seller.

Thanks for any advice/opinions up front.
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m with you @tock13 , I donā€™t like the look of the fast back on the 2 door, but I think weā€™re stuck with it. I plan on keeping the hard top off late spring and into early fall and installing a mesh bikini top and the tossing on a Broncover to guard against the elements.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nah, I think the majority of us think the fastback looks absolutely terrible. Plus you have so little cargo space in the 2-Door as it is, why cut out several cubic feet?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I like the fastback top, if the white top didn't surface like it did I would have just spent the money on it. The top flips back far enough over so the 2 front seats get the full treatment, pull the windows off and you get a surrey top, to me no need to fold all the way back. As cutting off storage you might lose a little but unless your packing up all the way past the tailgate what are you losing?

Anyrate, give it time, someone will come out with one eventually.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m with you @tock13 , I donā€™t like the look of the fast back on the 2 door, but I think weā€™re stuck with it. I plan on keeping the hard top off late spring and into early fall and installing a mesh bikini top and the tossing on a Broncover to guard against the elements.
Saw a besttop on a 2 door in person. Looks great in person, pictures, not so much...

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love mine

OP
OP
tock13

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To be honest, If the bestop folded all the way down and not just the sunrider opening, I could probably look past not liking the fastback style because my main priority is a total fold back of the top. I hope someone figures out how to get it working like the 4 door version.

D Rock

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend 2-Door, Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Trektop has a 2 door soft top. Instead, I feel the better value is a lift system to pull the hard top off and store it in the garage plus a sun shade is a better value on the 2 door.
I agree with this. Just got my 2-door a few weeks ago. Planning to get a sun rider for day to day, and then take off the hard top for part of the summer.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Saw a besttop on a 2 door in person. Looks great in person, pictures, not so much...
Yeah, I probably need to see one in person to make a ā€˜finalā€™ call. Pictures often donā€™t do these trucks justice.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually do like how the fastback looks, and I love my Bestop. I may never put the hard top on again. The folding back all the way doesn't bother me, because you can pull the back window off and have a more open experience than if a pile of cloth was laying back there.

So finally to my question, does anyone here with knowledge on how this all works think that at some point Bestop or someone else will figure out how to make a 2 dr soft top that folds all the way back?
No, I don't expect to see another iteration. We're lucky to get anything developed for 2drs at all.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Think back to the ā€™Good ol daysā€™ (early 2021) when all 2doors only came with a hardtop. You couldnā€™t get a Wildtrak without one. And when the softyā€™s showed up they had that awful sag on the rear sides. Lovin my hard top. Wouldnā€™t go any other way. All on or all off - thatā€™s the way to go.

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello,
First post but been lurking here for a good long while while. Like many I was waiting for the august banks to open to put in a Bronco order but now that boat has sailed and I am stuck with zero idea when, or even if I will ever be able to order one in the next couple years so...I have decided to suck it up and pay the price of admission on an ADM truck.

I am looking for a 2 dr BD or BL SAS. I spent 15 years in an FJ40 and a few in a TJ so the 2 dr is right up my alley. But I am now questioning the 2 dr decision based on riding in a friends 4 dr BD softie and how nice the top works.

I love the 2 dr has a hard top and I figured I would just buy an aftermarket soft top like I did with my hard top Wrangler. In researching options I am seriously bummed out to find out that the only available soft top for the new Broncos is a fast back (yeah, I know I am in the minority when it comes to not liking that design) and second it does not fold fully back behind the roll bar like my Wrangler did. That to me seems like such a huge miss I am shocked it doesn't.

I read somewhere a fully folding soft top on a 2 dr is impossible due to the limited space behind the roll bar. To me the 2dr and 4dr look the same in that area but maybe not. It just seems dumb that Ford would design it this way and not have it fold all the way back.

I have been out a few times in my friends 4 dr BD softie and the top works great. It takes very little to have it laying all the way back on the rear tire. I will say though that the rear hatch thing is a total cluster F and I have no idea how Ford thought that thing was okay....total fail in my book. It was an act of congress just to get a box put in and taken out... man give me a zippered take out window any day of the week over that annoying thing....but I digress, I just don't get why the 2 dr can't fold back completely. I am seriously contemplating looking for a 4 dr instead which is a bummer as I want the shorter wheelbase.

So finally to my question, does anyone here with knowledge on how this all works think that at some point Bestop or someone else will figure out how to make a 2 dr soft top that folds all the way back? It really is a huge ding on the 2 dr for my purposes which sucks. I like the smaller footprint of the 2 door, easier to tow behind an RV and just feels more at home based on what I am used to. I am afraid the 2 doors will get the same kind of aftermarket love the 2 dr wranglers are getting where most everything is for the 4 door which is a bigger seller.

Thanks for any advice/opinions up front.
I say get the 2door and wait for the aftermarket to kick in a better top

Debs

Black Diamond
First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Excursion, 2006 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I started looking at the soft top options for my 2 door but was grossly disappointed by having one choice. I don't like the fastback look at all and I never would have paid $1900 for one. Luck was in my favor though, and I found a used one for a steal from a guy in Texas. I figured if I hated it, I would just sell it to someone else.
Anyway, I have the soft top on now without the windows and it is amazing! It gives me full roof coverage but it feels open air too, especially with no doors on. I've thrown the top back a few times and I absolutely love it. You seriously don't even know it's there and I've hauled plenty of things in the back with no issue.
My advice would be to get the 2 door Bronco because that's what you really want. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the available soft top once it's on there and you start actually using it.
Ford Bronco 2 door soft top question broncosoftto
Sponsored