Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely had your share of the suck.

I've never slept in a roof top tent, so I don't know that it's a finer thing, but I use a blow up mattress in a tent unless I'm hunting... usually, I find some place with a cabin and ditch the tent anyway, haha.

I would probably just sleep in the front seat instead of lose payload for it.

Is there an option to have a normal tent secured to a roof rack and use a blow up or foam mattress to save weight? You'd have a bit longer set up time, but the weight savings could be worth it.
honestly, a hammock and a sleeping bag is probably more my style. Maybe that’s the golden ticket ... hmm.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was all in for a RTT, but then I started thinking about the Bronco weight limitations. Did I want to devote 160 lbs to a tent? Plus that weight would be in the worst possible location (at the top of the vehicle) for offroad stability.
Next, I settled on the GFC Ultralight which is 80 lbs. Now you've completely lost the use of the rack for anything other than the tent and are still giving up 80 lbs, and you can only sleep 2 people.
Now I'm leaning toward a Gazelle ground tent. Much more economical, they set up really fast, and weigh about 30 lbs. And you don't have to have a hardtop on to use it.
I might feel differently about a ground tent if I anticipated camping in bear country.
Just curious - is a RTT going to stop a bear? You may have more time to reach for the bear spray I guess...

But it will be much harder to get out of the RTT and into the Bronco. Plus speeding off with the tent deployed versus just abandoning a ground tent ...

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It seems to me that any perceived comfort or convenience of a RTT is far offset by the lack of freedom you will have.

The RTT use case seems very specific to traveling all day, popping up the tent catch some ZZZ, wake up, rinse repeat.

I'd hate to have my Bronco tied down at every destination. Places you can go would also be limited due to the constant risk of damaging the RTT on even the most mild trails. Sort of defeats the purpose of a Bronco in the first place.

Seems other vehicles would be better suited for the RTT use case.

Last edited:

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am hoping this fits given it’s one of the few RTTs that is not overweight for the roof rails but the length might be too long for 2dr.

4499D587-49DA-4FC9-A97D-63BF898CF79A.jpeg
On the Instagram post from GFC (where this CGI render came from), they commented in the comments that it will work for the 2 dr.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just curious - is a RTT going to stop a bear? You may have more time to reach for the bear spray I guess...

But it will be much harder to get out of the RTT and into the Bronco. Plus speeding off with the tent deployed versus just abandoning a ground tent ...
If you don’t leave the ladder deployed it would definitely help your case against a bear vs. a ground tent IMO

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What setup are you all using that will stay within the 150 lbs while moving and 450 lbs while stationary weight limits? I'm guessing you're using it as a single person, or two small children? Anything else on the roof?

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What setup are you all using that will stay within the 150 lbs while moving and 450 lbs while stationary weight limits? I'm guessing you're using it as a single person, or two small children? Anything else on the roof?
The GFC Ultralight is 80 lbs. Guessing 20 lbs for bedding. I weigh 180 leaving 170 for a second person.
I wonder, is the 150 lbs while moving and 450 lbs while stationary a limitation of the rack or the attachment points on the vehicle? Will the limit be higher with aftermarket racks?

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems to me that any perceived comfort or convenience of a RTT is far offset by the lack of freedom you will have.

The RTT use case seems very specific to traveling all day, popping up the tent catch some ZZZ, wake up, rinse repeat.

I'd hate to have my Bronco tied down at every destination. Places you can go would also be limited due to the contestant risk of damaging the RTT on even the most mild trails. Sort of defeats the purpose of a Bronco in the first place.

Seems other vehicles would be better suited for the RTT use case.
I follow several overlanders on youtube. By far, the most common setup seems to be a 4 door wrangler with an RTT. That said, some swear by tents, trailers, or pickups. Every choice has compromises. Just need to figure out which option is best for you (and that is the hard part).

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The GFC Ultralight is 80 lbs. Guessing 20 lbs for bedding. I weigh 180 leaving 170 for a second person.
I wonder, is the 150 lbs while moving and 450 lbs while stationary a limitation of the rack or the attachment points on the vehicle? Will the limit be higher with aftermarket racks?
Better not take another bite of that cheeseburger.

Bronco sport is 150lbs, Bronco is 110lbs.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know if you have a partner, or what they weigh, but 170 lbs. is pushing it for a lot of adults. I couldn't get by on those weights, but more importantly, I wouldn't use that tent. I need something more robust for the camping I do.

I think that weight you posted, 80 lbs., is without a mattress or ladder, both of which, you'll need. So, if you're really going to use the GFC Superlite, you'll have additional weight to add to make the tent usable.

It's not the rack limit that is the issue, it is the roof and vehicle. The vehicle was not engineered for that much weight that high. Ford has settled rollover injury and fatality claims for hundreds of millions of dollars and has not engineered the Bronco to carry more than 150 lbs on the roof while driving. To answer you question though, yes, aftermarket racks will handle more than 150 lbs while driving and 450 lbs while stationary; however, the Bronco will not support those higher weights.

ETA: it's 110/450, and i wrote 150/450 incorrectly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are plenty of aftermarket racks for Jeeps that are in the 700-900 lb static rating. They will be available for the Bronco in short order as well.

Not sure where you're getting this idea the Bronco can't handle them. The 110 dynamic / 450 static only applies to the factory rack not the truck itself.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@lobbs611 of course they'll be available for the Bronco, but it doesn't change the weight carrying capacity of the vehicle. You can build a rack to carry an elephant, but you can't change the 150/450 lbs weight rating of the Bronco.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@lobbs611 of course they'll be available for the Bronco, but it doesn't change the weight carrying capacity of the vehicle. You can build a rack to carry an elephant, but you can't change the 150/450 lbs weight rating of the Bronco.
The 110 dynamic / 450 static isn't the rating of the truck.... It's the rating of the factory rack. An exoskeleton rack that mounts at the rear bumper/windshield base will more than certainly be capable of carrying 700+ pounds. Internal bracing that ties into the rollbar like the Backbone from Rhino will bump the static way up as well.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. Do more research. Those numbers (110/450) are almost identical to the ratings on Jeep hardtops with racks attached directly to them with no additional bracing. Yet tens of thousands of Wranglers are out there with aftermarket racks that are either internally reinforced or anchored elsewhere that greatly exceed them.
Sponsored