Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I know it’s an option with the 2 door in the Ford site but as anyone seen a bronco with a 2 door and rtt?
Sponsored

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am hoping this fits given it’s one of the few RTTs that is not overweight for the roof rails but the length might be too long for 2dr.

4499D587-49DA-4FC9-A97D-63BF898CF79A.jpeg

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I made a rough mock-up a while back for my own reference with the GFC Superlite. I believe the length to be accurate.
Ford Bronco 2 door with RTT? gfc superlite

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just pitch a tent on the ground and embrace the suck.
I was all in for a RTT, but then I started thinking about the Bronco weight limitations. Did I want to devote 160 lbs to a tent? Plus that weight would be in the worst possible location (at the top of the vehicle) for offroad stability.
Next, I settled on the GFC Ultralight which is 80 lbs. Now you've completely lost the use of the rack for anything other than the tent and are still giving up 80 lbs, and you can only sleep 2 people.
Now I'm leaning toward a Gazelle ground tent. Much more economical, they set up really fast, and weigh about 30 lbs. And you don't have to have a hardtop on to use it.
I might feel differently about a ground tent if I anticipated camping in bear country.

Sponsored

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Just pitch a tent on the ground and embrace the suck.
18 years in the army and counting. While I don’t disagree, I’d like to experience the finer things in life for a change

OP
OP
DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the mock-up. This also happens to be my exact build!
if this is accurate, it looks good. I expected the length to be much longer

Sponsored

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was all in for a RTT, but then I started thinking about the Bronco weight limitations. Did I want to devote 160 lbs to a tent? Plus that weight would be in the worst possible location (at the top of the vehicle) for offroad stability.
Next, I settled on the GFC Ultralight which is 80 lbs. Now you've completely lost the use of the rack for anything other than the tent and are still giving up 80 lbs, and you can only sleep 2 people.
Now I'm leaning toward a Gazelle ground tent. Much more economical, they set up really fast, and weigh about 30 lbs. And you don't have to have a hardtop on to use it.
I might feel differently about a ground tent if I anticipated camping in bear country.
All good points. One of the advantages of the RTT in my opinion is that it expands the available places to sleep beyond suitable tent camping. (In a pinch you can even sleep at truck stops, RV parks, or Walmart parking lots.) I agree about roof storage not being ideal but a slender hard shell RTT at 80lbs at least prevents me from being tempted to throw bulkier and heavier crap up there.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
18 years in the army and counting. While I don’t disagree, I’d like to experience the finer things in life for a change
Definitely had your share of the suck.

I've never slept in a roof top tent, so I don't know that it's a finer thing, but I use a blow up mattress in a tent unless I'm hunting... usually, I find some place with a cabin and ditch the tent anyway, haha.

I would probably just sleep in the front seat instead of lose payload for it.

Is there an option to have a normal tent secured to a roof rack and use a blow up or foam mattress to save weight? You'd have a bit longer set up time, but the weight savings could be worth it.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All good points. One of the advantages of the RTT in my opinion is that it expands the available places to sleep beyond suitable tent camping. (In a pinch you can even sleep at truck stops, RV parks, or Walmart parking lots.) I agree about roof storage not being ideal but a slender hard shell RTT at 80lbs at least prevents me from being tempted to throw bulkier and heavier crap up there.
I hadn't really considered the Walmart scenario. I suspect that if we are that close to civilization, we may spring for a hotel. However, I do anticipate that we will have 3, possibly 4, people on many of our trips so a RTT and a ground tent seems like a lot to bring. On the other hand, I've been contemplating options for 2 in a RTT, and 1 inside.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I realized the Bronco wouldnt support a RTT I nixed the idea. There are other things that need to go up top and that means the Bronco doesnt have the capacity for a RTT.

You can't have the weight of the RTT, with sleeping bags or sheets, and two people. Exceeds 450 lbs.

If you have an a/m rack, or light bar, lights, recoveryboards, just about anything, you exceed the weight limit.
Sponsored