Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm still not convinced the R was on an F150 chassis. Ford directly said:

"The race prototype is built on a modified Ford T6 architecture that will provide the base for the production model"

I am very skeptical that they would straight up lie like that (if they had said 'a body on frame architecture' or something more vague that would be different), and the only evidence we have to the contrary is some guy on a forum who says he saw it in a shop.
Geiserbros racing is the ones who built everything except the body. They stated in a comment (which I believe was removed later) that it was built on an f150 frame with a 2.7 EcoBoost. Another one posted a picture of frame and stated it was a raptor front end. I don't understand where Ford is trying to lead us with this but these are what I am basing my assumptions on.

Screenshot_20200103-112307_Instagram.jpg
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Production bronco will be based on next generation ranger frame according to Ford. That being said, ranger is IFS. Also, Bronco R was IFS
I'm good either way...but I'll probably buy the base trim "66" with IFS. But don't overlook NickP's post from earlier this week:

"I'm also not totally convinced that the top-trim Bronco won't have a solid front axle option. My buddy said that the hard-core off-road variant is being created by a team-within-a-team and there is zero visibility to their work unless you are specifically on their project. I know for a fact CrispyKC doesn't know what they're up to and I doubt even Teocali does."

what do you think would be different about it?

"Well I assume it would be similar to the Wrangler Rubicon, so 4:1 transfer case, front and rear locking differentials, detachable sway bar, different suspension tuning, different differential gearing, etc. Of course, Ford will throw their own features on there that we may not even know about or have thought of as well. Or it’s possible that it could get none of that who really knows. Locking diffs are a given and I feel like we heard disconnecting sway bars from another source, different gearing options is kind of a given as well. (4.88’s would be cool!)"

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think the most likely answer is that the T6 is basically a narrowed F150 frame, so a widened T6 frame would look the same, or even be the same, as an F150 frame.

That or the T6 uses the same basic design as the F150 frame, but maybe smaller rails, narrower etc. so you could say that the F150 frame is a modified T6 frame, just larger dimensions?
And maybe that's what they mean by it. I'm all for a stronger frame. Possibly the new f150 will be built on a "larger" T6 frame.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm good either way...but I'll probably buy the base trim "66" with IFS. But don't overlook NickP's post from earlier this week:

"I'm also not totally convinced that the top-trim Bronco won't have a solid front axle option. My buddy said that the hard-core off-road variant is being created by a team-within-a-team and there is zero visibility to their work unless you are specifically on their project. I know for a fact CrispyKC doesn't know what they're up to and I doubt even Teocali does."

what do you think would be different about it?

"Well I assume it would be similar to the Wrangler Rubicon, so 4:1 transfer case, front and rear locking differentials, detachable sway bar, different suspension tuning, different differential gearing, etc. Of course, Ford will throw their own features on there that we may not even know about or have thought of as well. Or it’s possible that it could get none of that who really knows. Locking diffs are a given and I feel like we heard disconnecting sway bars from another source, different gearing options is kind of a given as well. (4.88’s would be cool!)"
I have to say, it would be epic if Ford did this.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the most likely answer is that the T6 is basically a narrowed F150 frame, so a widened T6 frame would look the same, or even be the same, as an F150 frame.

That or the T6 uses the same basic design as the F150 frame, but maybe smaller rails, narrower etc. so you could say that the F150 frame is a modified T6 frame, just larger dimensions?
By that argument pretty much ANY truck frame uses the same basic design.

The way I see it, either:
* the new T6 architecture, modified to accept a Raptor front end, looks very similar to an F150 frame and the people making the claim that it's an F150 frame are wrong, or
* the new T6 frame is in fact going to be a modified F150 frame. Bearing in mind that the Bronco will be the first vehicle on a new 'T6' frame that we haven't seen yet.

Either way, I am still convinced that the frame of the Bronco R is going to be related to that of the production Bronco. That's the only way the PR people's statements aren't straight lies.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They are straight lies.
Hmm. if the Ford PR people are allowed to just straight up lie to us now, not just use very careful wording...that's disappointing to say the least. I'm not really a Ford guy so haven't followed their marketing for other products much, but that would just be straight up dishonest which I didn't expect.

I shall continue to take everything around this whole vehicle with a heaping spoonful of salt until we see a finished product...and then it gets some independent testing too.

EDIT: I guess if the Bronco R IS on the current F150 frame, the only way it isn't a lie is if the new T6 frame will be derived from the F150 frame (narrowed). Then the current F150 frame could theoretically be considered a 'modified T6 frame'

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is the best information anyone has posted about this, so thank you for that. Have you heard anything about the real bronco design? I imagine it will take many cues from the Bronco R but in a "production" version.

As previously pointed out, the 2014+ Troller T4 (a Brazilian market off road specialty brand that was acquired by Ford in 2008) is heavily based on the Ranger and is built from the "T6" platform and features a solid axle. Something else to consider is that the Troller T4 will also likely be redesigned and built on the next-generation "T6" chassis, so the Troller and Bronco could potentially share a version of the new "T6" chassis with a solid axle.
IMG_20170807_103926783_HDR.jpg

Also, as has been discussed previously on this forum, there have been quite a few vehicles built with independent and solid axle suspensions on the same frames ('86-'97 F250 vs F350, '99-present Super Duty 2wd vs 4wd, pre '91 Chevy 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs 2wd vs 4wd, etc.).

The Bronco R was a marketing ploy to get people talking about the new Bronco plain and simple. Ford has had success racing Raptors in the past, and likely used the F150 chassis since it was a known quantity and they wouldn't be revealing anything specific about the forthcoming Bronco. Just watch how the Ford guys were so careful with their wording when describing the Bronco R. They kept saying "in this case" and specifically mentioned that the 5-link rear was based on the production configuration, but made no such claim about the front suspension. I believe they used the 2.7L Ecoboost rather than the Raptor 3.5L and the 10 speed auto since they will be available components in the Bronco.

See my post here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-r-in-action-baja-1000.884/page-12#post-16033
The Bronco R is obviously using an F150 frame and not a Ranger frame.

I have no idea why it was stated that it was built on the "T6" architecture when it clearly wasn't; unless the next generation "T6" frame will be a carbon copy of the current generation F150 frame. The Bronco R was built off a regular cab short bed 2.7L 4wd F150 with an aftermarket Raptor front suspension installed. Obviously Geiser Brothers did a bunch of tube work and the rear axle and suspension are completely custom.

Here are some posts from "68ford" on Classic Broncos who was at the Geiser Brothers shop while they were building it:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3242160&postcount=1400
"Nobody, I saw the race R Bronco in person 3 days before the1000 at my buddies shop. It's nothing bronco. It's not a ranger frame like they told everyone at sema. A 4x4 f150 2.7 v6 chassis went to Geiser Bros and they bolted on a f150 long travel kit and built the rest. Other than the basic shape, I highly doubt it resembles anything Ford will make.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4_tCGXB...=1gsbbkwdql6lt
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4_gJyOh...=1819nrcr0gj37"

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247078&postcount=1430
"The R bronco is a f150 chassis and that is all. It was not built on the t6 platform like the arrival states. A 2.7 liter 4x4 f150 rolling chassis went to Geiser Bros and they built the rest. No suspension was used. Just frame rails, engine, trans and t case. There is zero resemblance to the actual bronco Ford will make is what I was told. It was all done for marketing. Sorry for the bad news "

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247120&postcount=1435
"Geiser Bros would gladly build you another one. Heard it cost somewhere around 500k to build it. Bolt on front raptor suspension, all stock powertrain and a simple 5 link and hang a body. Huge profit for Geiser
grin.gif
"

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247122&postcount=1436
"Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter
viewpost.gif

I don’t know man....which is why I mentioned Baja prototype!

Ford did the exact same thing with the Gen 2 Raptors at the Baja and the production truck looked a LOT like the Baja prototype.​

Did you look at the pictures I posted with the body off? It's a 100% race vehicle. No where near street legal. Can not be compared to any raptor project ford has ever put out ."

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247198&postcount=1440
"Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy
viewpost.gif

Not entirely correct. Knowing several who have actually seen it, the R shares a lot of similar styling. It is very close to the lines of what we will see in just a few months. It is loaded with hints of what is to come...​

Did you look at the links I posted. I saw it taken apart. It's is 5% of a 4x4 f150. Zero interior. No windsheild area or doors. It's just a shell wrapped around a race car built on a stock chassis the only resemblance you could maybe compare is the shape of the body. Definitely not the size, that thing is 90 in wide. Considerably wider than a raptor. It's a f150 frame with a Baja Kits brand long travel set up on the front."

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247250&postcount=1443
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
viewpost.gif

I like the Bronco at the end of the video! They should make the new one look like that
tongue.gif

Do you think they designed and built that rig before they had the new body?​

Even as simple as the build is compared to a full trophy truck, there's still a bunch of time in that chassis. My guess is they built the rig and made the body after the fact with a little help from Fords design team but maybe you have a little more info on how the project came to be?
Yes, truck was at Geiser Brothers being built much longer than the article States. I was told Geiser was given a box shape to build within but had no idea exactly what the body was going to look like. The shop where it was taken apart that I saw that, said the wheelbase was the same as a single cab short bed F-150."

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247253&postcount=1444
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Justafordguy
viewpost.gif

The engine sounds like crap, the 2.7 in my wife's Edge sport sounds much cooler.
grin.gif

I heard it and it does sound terrible. Has true duals exiting before the rear tires with no cats. Just two MagnaFlow mufflers, one per side."

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3247418&postcount=1447
"Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeOffroad
viewpost.gif

What characteristics distinguished it as a F150 chassis instead of the Ranger it was claimed to be? Did someone else tell you that's what it was?
Yeah, Ford guy at the race shop involved with programing the OEM electrical work with the Motec race side of the vehicle said it's an f150. It's physically a lot larger and wider. The bronco R track width(outside tire to outside tire) is over 90 in wide. A ranger is somewhere around 70. You can see in my pics that the A arms are not that long. There's no way you could put short enough arms on that chassis and get it anywhere near a ranger width. A arms would be like 3in long and tires would rub the frame when turned."

This forum is starting to become an echo chamber. This is not true at all. The only similarity between the Ranger and F150 frames is the basic layout and construction method.

They are straight lies.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dear Car & Driver, I fixed a few things for you... obviously, credit to respective original creator @Nick Kaloterakis

Original posted for comparison
20200109_234425.jpg
Adobe_20200109_234129.jpg
Adobe_20200109_234111.jpg

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude, nice work! You nailed the changes I hear and envision. Rumor is there will be flares, but I'm sure body matched will be an option.

Sponsored

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The updated render looks great! Even more excited to see the real thing now. Have a feeling I'm going to be real torn between 2 and 4 doors assuming roof coming off and powertrain options are the same regardless of the number of doors.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford...TAKE MY MONEY...especially if, and there is a big IF, it eventually comes with SRA and a V6!
I'm pretty sure if a Solid Rear Axle and V6 are your desires you should definitely be happy with the Bronco. I'm 99% sure it'll have both of those things.
Sponsored