First Name
Peter lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco badlands 2.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys, had my first Bronco (MT 40k miles) for 3 weeks and first post here. Sadly;

1. My Bronco failed to start back up from ASS rest at a traffic light and would not start at all. There was no cranking noise but just a single click which sounded like it was coming from somewhere between the transmission and engine. Oddly, all the electrical stuff appeared to work just fine- dash, Carplay, fan, etc.. but it did decide to go into power-saving mode about an hour later and the car turned off- got the notification on the FordPass app as well.

2. After trying to start the car for some time stuck in the middle of traffic on a busy busy street, with no success and waiting for the tow truck, the vent started to smell like an electrical fire and smoke came out as well! We evacuated the car immediately but my mother almost got hit by a car on that busy street.. She was a bit shooken up but is fine now.

I'm sad, I love the car so much but darn the issues. There was no warning and it happened out of nowhere! The car is just out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty too.. :(

Just had it towed to the dealership to diag the car. They pulled some codes associated with the battery and they also think the alternator is likely bad- suspicion from the smoke and electrical smell. They don't have a technician available till Monday so waiting to hear back from them.

I was so excited to take my Bronco out on a 2 week road trip in June but now I'm skeptical..

Update 4/17: service department says they were only able to check the battery light for now but it points to a bad starter. Getting that replaced and they will check the engine light if still on.

Update 4/22: service department called to tell me it was not the starter. They replaced it and the car still won't turnover. They believe it was misdiagnosed and the engine is the culprit- completely seized.. Luckily it's covered all under warranty (including the starter because of misdiagnose) but it will take at least 2-3 weeks for repairs. Really curious to know what happened to the engine..

Update 4/25: they took apart the engine and found a blown valve with metal shavings in the engine. The service department is waiting to hear back from Ford and their decision. It seems likely the entire engine is going to be replaced, according to the service advisor.

Update 4/27: confirmed entire engine will be replaced under powertrain warranty
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Time to make sure all the grounds are tightened down properly

OP
OP
Thepetersaid

Thepetersaid

Badlands
First Name
Peter lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco badlands 2.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would those be the nuts in the fuse box under the hood? I checked those last night and they were on tight.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey guys, had my first Bronco (MT 40k miles) for 3 weeks and first post here. Sadly;

1. My Bronco failed to start back up from ASS rest at a traffic light and would not start at all. There was no cranking noise but just a single click which sounded like it was coming from somewhere between the transmission and engine. Oddly, all the electrical stuff appeared to work just fine- dash, Carplay, fan, etc.. but it did decide to go into power-saving mode about an hour later and the car turned off- got the notification on the FordPass app as well.

2. After trying to start the car for some time stuck in the middle of traffic on a busy busy street, with no success and waiting for the tow truck, the vent started to smell like an electrical fire and smoke came out as well! We evacuated the car immediately but my mother almost got hit by a car on that busy street.. She was a bit shooken up but is fine now.

I'm sad, I love the car so much but darn the issues. There was no warning and it happened out of nowhere! The car is just out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty too.. :(

Just had it towed to the dealership to diag the car. They pulled some codes associated with the battery and they also think the alternator is likely bad- suspicion from the smoke and electrical smell. They don't have a technician available till Monday so waiting to hear back from them.

I was so excited to take my Bronco out on a 2 week road trip in June but now I'm skeptical..

Update 4/17: service department says they were only able to check the battery light for now but it points to a bad starter. Getting that replaced and they will check the engine light if still on.
Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message with your VIN and dealer info so I can look into this no start concern on my end? Thank you!

OP
OP
Thepetersaid

Thepetersaid

Badlands
First Name
Peter lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco badlands 2.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message with your VIN and dealer info so I can look into this no start concern on my end? Thank you!
Thanks for reaching out! I privately messaged you and any help will be appreciated! Provided an update on the original thread of this post.

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you find the answer?

I just had this EXACT same problem this week. Died in the middle of an intersection, did the start/stop and it died. Tried to start again and just got one single click.

Had full power to everything, but it was acting like it had a dead battery.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, that didn't help. Pushed it off the main street.

My fiance' brought me a battery jump kit and after a few failed tries, finally DID get it to start and immediately disabled start/stop and drove it home.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you find the answer?

I just had this EXACT same problem this week. Died in the middle of an intersection, did the start/stop and it died. Tried to start again and just got one single click.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, that didn't help. Pushed it off the main street.

My fiance' brought me a battery jump kit and after a few failed tries, finally DID get it to start and immediately disabled start/stop and drove it home.

Got home, turned it off, tried to start again, same problem - one single click.

Left it a while, came back later and it started right up.

OP
OP
Thepetersaid

Thepetersaid

Badlands
First Name
Peter lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco badlands 2.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you find the answer?

Just got an update from the service department today- a valve in the engine is broken and they found metal shavings.. The service department is pushing Ford to replace the entire engine. Confirmation is coming sometime within 48 hours.

Maybe yours has a bad battery? I read in several places that the battery isn't all that great..

Last edited:

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had it less than a year - '23 Badlands... I did have full aux power and everything was working - just no start ability. I'll get the battery checked just to be sure.

Post some pics if you get them!

Just got an update from the service department today- a valve in the engine is broken and they found metal shavings.. The service department is pushing Ford to replace the entire engine. Confirmation is coming sometime within 48 hours.

Maybe yours has a bad battery? I read in several places that the battery isn't all that great..
Sponsored