Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It does better than the Wrangler JL in the frontal offset, it has a larger cabin that the JL, way more headroom, and side curtain bags. Bronco destroys Jeep in this area; the side curtains and the headroom are major reasons I'm not buying a JL instead. The Bronco wins here by a lot, IMO
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lose what? The car will be totaled either way in a crash like this. The front crash bar looks pretty useless here in this test. Sasquatch doesn't come with them at all...and if they were critical for safety, why make them removable? This is further evidence that Ford was not planning for 35" tires when they started designing the Bronco...it was an afterthought.

I suppose if someone lost their life in a wreck, and it was found that you removed " standard safety components", they could put some blame on you? seems like a stretch...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I misread "Although it missed out on the Top Safety Pick designation like the Wrangler," to mean the Wrangler did get the Top Safety Pick. After reading the article and re-reading that sentence, I now see it as "Like the Wrangler, it missed out on the Top Safety Pick designation," which is exactly what it says but, again, I misread it.
Not just you, it got me at first too until I read the article.

I'm sure they have a reason, but I'm wondering why they removed the headrest.
Especially odd because they called out head support as a negative.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have watched crashes at IIHS. It is just north of Charlottesville, Va. It is super cool!! Glad the Bronco did well.
Side note, I wish the seatbelts were adjustable on the pillar. I am short and would like the belt to hit me lower than just below my chin. How hard would that have been to do @Ford Motor Company ?

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm sure they have a reason, but I'm wondering why they removed the headrest.
Does the way the side curtain airbag comes down look weird to anyone else? Especially for rear seat passengers? Or is it supposed to buckle like that so they have side and frontal support from it? Also weird cause it doesn't really cover where the C pillar is either, where I think jeep crash dummies hit their head. Almost looks like it sticks out more because the headrest isnt there.

(Edit to add: clearly not my area of expertise in any regard, just want to make sure my little people in the back seat will be as safe as they can be).

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d like to know how the Sasquatch package effects the ratings but I don’t guess we’ll ever know. Maybe the extra rubber “helps “.
Crash bar delete may say otherwise. Wheel can get pushed into the cabin.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder what the video would look like with a sasquatch package and no crash bar in the wheel well. Although, at that speed, maybe it would make no difference. Crash bar probably gets obliterated at that speed.

Reactions: Cat

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is further evidence that Ford was not planning for 35" tires when they started designing the Bronco...it was an afterthought.
Actually, I think this proves that Ford did plan 35'" tires. The crash bar extensions may only be needed for smaller wheels to keep them pinned in place during a wreck. Maybe a larger wheel doesn't have the room to move. So, it's not needed. That's my theory anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco is sold with a choice of two headlight systems, neither of which was rated above Marginal. The lights' low-beams "do not illuminate the road to a far enough distance on curves," says the IIHS. It's worth noting that several automakers have upgraded their headlights—including Ford, on the F-150—since the 2020 model year, when the agency started including them as a criterion for Top Safety Pick.
Reading this makes me wonder about the feasibility of adding any aftermarket lighting to fill in any deficiencies in the stock lighting, to bring the lighting safety of an individual Bronco up to the IIHS' best standard for such.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The headlight rating is just the "safety" part of the total test.

My Black Diamond headlights are the best I've ever had.....we must not do enough curves???
All in all I'm encouraged.

If crash bars are vital to Sasquatch I think Ford could have easily made the insert piece curved toward the rear of wheel well. There seems to be room. Assuming that piece can be curved and still maintain integrity.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is it just me, but how do headlights effect crash worthiness....?
I think they're good... And the auto highbeam is WORLD better than my 2019 Escape.
I think that's more for crash avoidance?

If your car can help you avoid crashes better, than it is overall rated better than a car that will likely get into more crashes.
Sponsored