sk_bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here!

Anyone with access to a Ford rep (or a rep themselves) know when we'll see crash test results?

Sitting on an FE reservation, been waiting a REALLY long time for this rig. The wife and I always wanted a Wrangler but we've got little ones and want to be able to take them to the trails with us, but could never get past bad crash test ratings, if you can't get out to the trails safely, what's the point? For all you hardcore off-roaders, apologies for the family-oriented post (I know these things are truly meant for the trails, will be built like tanks, etc.).

For those who don't know: 2014 JK Side Impact = "Marginal", Head & Restraints = "Marginal"

2020 JL Small Overlap = "Flipped!?!"
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Crash Tests and Safety Ratings Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.13.32 PM

Not to mention the death wobble, lack of modern safety equipment, etc.

So - what do we know? When do crash tests typically come out for a new vehicle? Ford typically builds their trucks and SUVs to a high standard, especially on safety - thus our optimism. While we both originally wanted a JK (then a JL) we're now 100% Bronco devotees, it's perfect! But can we expect to know more about safety before we need to start pulling the triggers on our reservations? For the price we're paying, we all deserve a safe rig.
Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wranglers were never focused on safety. The fact that side curtain airbags were an option on the JK says that. Something so important for safety that is standard on economy cars should not be an option on a 50k vehicle.

I'm curious about the final safety data on the Bronco myself. But we won't see that until they go into production.

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Expecting the BRONCO to perform way better than Jeep.
Ford's safety sense technology is superior, to avoid accidents.

Sponsored

Desertsailing

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This was the reason we didn’t buy a wrangler. I was hoping Ford could do much better and I wonder if that’s why they used independent suspension in the front. I will say I get butterflies when I see that roll cage with no cross bar. That being said, I think I read somewhere that Ford has more 5 star safety rated cars than any other brand. Please don’t quote me on that, I can’t seem to find the article.

Desertsailing

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Bronco will definitely be safer than a Wrangler. One of the reasons for this is because it actually has side curtain airbags (unlike the Wrangler). According to FMVSS 214, any vehicle with easily removable doors is not subject to side impact crash tests by NHTSA. Since the Wrangler didn't need to pass that test, Jeep simply decided not to install side curtain airbags. Ford, on the other hand, designed the Bronco to pass the safety requirements that all of its other vehicles do, even if it wasn't required by law. So they packaged side curtain airbags into the roll bars. It's a pretty clever system that I'm sure will be described in greater detail later on.
I didn’t know this.
So cool! Love it even more now!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anecdotally, In quite a few posts I’ve seen on the JL forums the wrangler actually does ok in real life crashes. Just doesn’t do that well on the tests. Bronco will be better for sure.

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
When they started taking into account headlights I stopped paying attention to the ratings. All they are doing is making cars cost more...

Overland4912

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Bronco will definitely be safer than a Wrangler. One of the reasons for this is because it actually has side curtain airbags (unlike the Wrangler). According to FMVSS 214, any vehicle with easily removable doors is not subject to side impact crash tests by NHTSA. Since the Wrangler didn't need to pass that test, Jeep simply decided not to install side curtain airbags. Ford, on the other hand, designed the Bronco to pass the safety requirements that all of its other vehicles do, even if it wasn't required by law. So they packaged side curtain airbags into the roll bars. It's a pretty clever system that I'm sure will be described in greater detail later on.
This comment x100. Just one of many examples of how Ford thought about the customer vs FCA. I imagine there are so many superior things about the Bronco we still don't know about. The fact that people are not even talking about over the air software updates yet is crazy. It's such a huge advantage.

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
When they started taking into account headlights I stopped paying attention to the ratings. All they are doing is making cars cost more...
As someone who lives north (short days), works a lot in inclement weather at night on remote logging roads, fog and snow.. The base headlights in most trucks suck. XL level trucks get crappy halogens. I am hoping the safety ratings DO make an impact that get better headlights on ALL vehicles. Sure we had lightbars and such, but none of them are really DOT legal and they cannot be used when traffic is around.

Mookie45

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 340i M-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will be in the market for a mid sized SUV in a couple years. I’m really hoping the Bronco performs well in the crash ratings so I’m not left only with a de-masculating Highlander as my main option :(

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very cool.
So if the goal was that the Bronco could pass all the safety tests, does that mean we can expect it to undergo the side impact crash test (and release the results) even if it's not required?

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would imagine Ford probably has engineered it to pass all the "normal" vehicle tests including the side impact one, even if it isn't required for a vehicle with easily removable doors.
Sponsored