First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Harley Davidson FLSS, 17 Ford Expedition EL,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Newbie here although I'm 52 and a car & motorcycle enthusiast.

I have a reservation and have been stalking the site for awhile. I am the current owner of a 2017 Ford Expedition XLT EL that is basic. No lane changing warnings, start/stopping the motor while at lights, etc although it does have a more complicated twin turbo setup v-6 motor setup. It has proven reliable at my 70,000 miles of ownership.

I see that many cars that have quite a bit of new tech tend to lose value after 100,000 miles due to very expensive repairs that can be traced back to the new tech failing. Cars like Mercedes, BMW & Land Rover can be had for a huge discount once they get up there in age. Every time you research one you will find these issues.
I am of 2 minds on this order.

1) Go basic with the Gizmos and keep it for a very long time. If they would allow I'd get the V-6TT with a manual with hand roll down windows.

2) Load it up as Ford's packages are not that expensive to add on. Honestly I would enjoy them but they seem to cause expensive issues as the vehicle ages.
This would also allow me to sell it easier down the road. I suspect many younger drivers will demand these aids in driving and not look at a vehicle without lane departure, blind spot warnings and sudden stop emergency overrides.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Newbie here although I'm 52 and a car & motorcycle enthusiast.

I have a reservation and have been stalking the site for awhile. I am the current owner of a 2017 Ford Expedition XLT EL that is basic. No lane changing warnings, start/stopping the motor while at lights, etc although it does have a more complicated twin turbo setup v-6 motor setup. It has proven reliable at my 70,000 miles of ownership.

I see that many cars that have quite a bit of new tech tend to lose value after 100,000 miles due to very expensive repairs that can be traced back to the new tech failing. Cars like Mercedes, BMW & Land Rover can be had for a huge discount once they get up there in age. Every time you research one you will find these issues.
I am of 2 minds on this order.

1) Go basic with the Gizmos and keep it for a very long time. If they would allow I'd get the V-6TT with a manual with hand roll down windows.

2) Load it up as Ford's packages are not that expensive to add on. Honestly I would enjoy them but they seem to cause expensive issues as the vehicle ages.
This would also allow me to sell it easier down the road. I suspect many younger drivers will demand these aids in driving and not look at a vehicle without lane departure, blind spot warnings and sudden stop emergency overrides.

Thoughts?
You only get that stuff in the lux package. Nothing lasts forever so get it if you can enjoy it for a while. You're not guaranteed longevity with option one...they'll prob be about the same. Base models will have similar wiring etc.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Outside of the reliability and costs associated with some of these features... they may be life saving (which is hard to put a price on of course).

I have a family with two kids so the added safety features are important to me.

Troy13

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Outside of the reliability and costs associated with some of these features... they may be life saving (which is hard to put a price on of course).

I have a family with two kids so the added safety features are important to me.
This was my thought with the mid package. I wasn't too concerned with most of the features but all those safety features for $1,400? If they prevent an accident even once over ownership of the vehicle immediately worth it.

OP
OP

cmiles97

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Harley Davidson FLSS, 17 Ford Expedition EL,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting points about safety. As a motorcycle rider who has seen how crazy distracted driving has become over the years, I like the safety systems.

On the other hand I have driven all these years without them and kind of think the safety systems are actually encouraging even more distracted driving since new drivers can be less aware knowing the vehicle will cover for them.

Like I said I'm of two minds on the subject. If they could make the electronics as stout and engines transmissions and braking systems lasting 200,000 problem free miles, there would be no question on upgrading.
Sponsored