First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The best running new truck I ever had was a 2001 F-150 4.2 V6 with a manual trans. I was young and dumb and broke it in with a 300 mile highway trip bouncing it off the 99mph governor the entire way. Later I did a high speed run from Tucson to Laughlin for a SCORE race, chipped and averaging 110 mph in the desert night with some runs up around 125 mph (yes, young and pretty dumb). That truck was an amazing runner. I purchased an identical truck in 2003 that never had the power, smoothness, or MPG (23-24 highway at 75 mph) of that 2001, it also was not broken in the same way since I wasn’t as dumb. I don’t have the space to break in my new Bronco like that, but I do believe some early high speed runs are beneficial.

My 2021 Tacoma was purchased the day before leaving on a cross country move from AZ to MA, no slow break in there, it was averaging 80+ all of day 1 from Tucson to Dallas.

flynh3

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Son, Drive it like you stole it....

imstimpy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most of the break-in concern is engine related where limiting max RPM, and varying the RPM that you do use, is the primary focus. I suppose non-engine things may also be a consideration but I haven't heard of bad wheel bearings because the break-in process wasn't followed.

I did bad and used cruise control on my drive from Houston to Austin (150 miles). However, when I was using cruise I used M to select a gear every 2-5 or so minutes. This had the effect of changing engine speed by 3-400 RPM per gear. Engine touched 1800-3400 RPM, mostly 2000-2400. It was all light load. Since then I've done another 100 miles around town living at 1000-2000 RPM.

I am by no means an expert and merely explaining what I've done.

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Will have to investigate this break-in info. Was it written by the lawyers? Or by the engineers?

I have bought a number of new BMW motorcycles. The first was an R1150GS. I broke it in exactly as specified in the owner's manual. It always used oil for the whole time I owned it. My next BMW bikes were a K1200S, a R1200GS Adv, a K1300S, and now a S1000XR. All of these bikes I rode home on a special back road (Hwy 18 and 203 from SSBMW to Duvall). I babied it for the first 10 miles, then I spent the whole rest of the ride home alternating between high throttle setting accel, and zero throttle decel. Up and down. All the way home. Never lugging, and never over-revving, but serious up and down. Like a sine wave. NONE of these new bikes used much oil, and they all have run just fine for as long as I've owned them. Right now the S1000XR has about 48,000 miles and is running great.

So I wonder about this break-in procedure recommended by the manual.

Seeya
ATB

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does Ford not stick those in the glove box anymore for new vehicles? Mine didn’t have one. Wondering if the dealer forgot or what…

Here’s the one for 2022. https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/Bronco/2022/owner-manuals/

Wondering if I should contact my salesman or just have it printed out.
All digital now. Some manufacturers even go so far as to say it's a weight savings 🙄.

If my truck doesn't work and I therefore couldn't access my manual, I'd be pissed.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That sucks. And what’s accessible through the media center is not everything that’s in that pdf.

Sponsored

Wings2Wheels

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch; 737
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The best running new truck I ever had was a 2001 F-150 4.2 V6 with a manual trans. I was young and dumb and broke it in with a 300 mile highway trip bouncing it off the 99mph governor the entire way. Later I did a high speed run from Tucson to Laughlin for a SCORE race, chipped and averaging 110 mph in the desert night with some runs up around 125 mph (yes, young and pretty dumb).

Ford Bronco 2021 Ford Bronco Break-In Period: 1,000 Miles / 1,600 KM MV5BNDgxZDU2YWItNzNmMi00ZGMzLThkMzEtZDMyNmE0ODlhZGZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIwNTk3MDc2._V1_

"96 miles an hour?! I didn't know this truck could do 96 miles an hour."

03LX470

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most of the break-in concern is engine related where limiting max RPM, and varying the RPM that you do use, is the primary focus. I suppose non-engine things may also be a consideration but I haven't heard of bad wheel bearings because the break-in process wasn't followed.

I did bad and used cruise control on my drive from Houston to Austin (150 miles). However, when I was using cruise I used M to select a gear every 2-5 or so minutes. This had the effect of changing engine speed by 3-400 RPM per gear. Engine touched 1800-3400 RPM, mostly 2000-2400. It was all light load. Since then I've done another 100 miles around town living at 1000-2000 RPM.

I am by no means an expert and merely explaining what I've done.
I am doing something similar (keep varying the rpm on 30 min drive) to get to 1500mi quickly. Normally, I don’t like to add miles too quickly to a new car if it’s not my primary mode of transport. However, with the Bronco I’m very keen to enjoy it across the RPM range, both onroad and Offroad, so want the breakin to be over with quickly.

MJBbase22

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Sider, VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any difference between MY 21 and 22?
I don't think much. The temp adjustment knob change is the only difference I can think of. I could be wrong, I have a 2021 so I haven't followed 2022 changes real closely.

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is there anything to consider with non-engine drivetrain break in? For example, would it be ok to do my whole break in in 2H or should I bet spending some time driving around in 4H/4L too?
Sponsored