First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just give it the famous "Italian Tune-Up" the moment you take the keys and see how she chooches!

Report back with your findings, it's not like there is any friction or moving components on a modern engine, they probably all fit together like magic and work perfectly forever.

Modern cars use a MEMS sensor in conjunction with a phononic crystal sensor in the tank which will do quite a bit to adjust the parameters the engine runs in based on the fuel in the tank.

info on MEMS sensor: https://www.mouser.com/blog/mems-sensors-monitor-fuel-performance

Basic info on RON sensor: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...bronco-2-3l-and-2-7l.16405/page-4#post-594746

I know, I know, TLDR... But if you feel like learning WHY you can run different octanes, or blend them together, and not have any issues with it, it's worth a read.

Note: this is not to say a specific RON is better/best or must be used. That's a different topic!
I have a 2015 Subaru Forester that knocks when I go to 87. My gf accidentally put 87 for 2 tanks and then under heavy acceleration after I went back to 91 I could hear slight knock. Anecdotal but anyways.
Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have been reading a lot of people on this forum talk about a "break in period" for the new Bronco. Is this really something Ford is saying is needed or just a holdover from old car guys from days gone by? I have bought probably 10 new cars over the last 20 years (everything from a hatchback Chevy to an Audi) and have never been told that any of them needed a "break in period". I actually had to look it up and found a Consumer Reports article on how it is no longer necessary or recommended for newer vehicles.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the topic.
results of proper break in period show up in the longevity of the engine ... down the road .....
just dont put excessive stress on the engine with high RPM for a 1000 miles or so .... rule of thumb is to keep the rpm below 3500 especially on a twin turbo

pfbz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Turbo, 991 Turbo S, 996 turbo, Q5 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Base
Break-in is certainly less important these days then it was once, but it still is good practice to:

1. Avoid 'lugging' the engine (always, not just for break in).
  2. Warm up oil before higher rpm/higher loads (always, not just for break in)
  3. Avoid prolonged max turbo boost pressures.
  4. Vary engine RPM and engine load frequently.
  5. Avoid (or minimize) trips to or time at redline.
  6. Early oil change (~1,000 mile).
Ironically, many new vehicle owners worry so much about avoiding higher RPMs that they lug the crap out of their engine during break-in, which is far worse for it than pretty much anything else.

Last edited:

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm sure break in is important to an extent and I have always been told to vary the throttle during break in period while avoiding heavy acceleration/high RPM. This is not the same situation "apples/orange" but I once had a new 6.7 powerstroke with 400 miles on the clock I hooked up to 10K lbs and drove on a 1500 mile hunting trip. The truck had 200K on the engine on trade in and never an issue to report...

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spent the last hour reviewing the manual trying to find something about the engine break-in period, came up empty, was about to give up then I found a reference to where it’s at in this thread (Page 297 of the 2021 manual).

I copy and pasted the information below and this is the only thing I can find in the manual regarding break-in period and there’s nothing specific regarding the engine. The key wording is “Your vehicle” and that doesn’t mean just the engine, rather it means the vehicle including brakes, drive train, transmission, engine, steering, etc. Drive it gently, let all the components get lubed up and develop a little wear and you’re good to go. Further if the engine required a specific break-in procedure that would be detailed in the manual, especially in this day and age of litigation. There would be a page or pages dedicated to exactly what needs to be done to break in the engine and it would be right at the front of the manual with lots of bold print, not a tiny paragraph in the last 2/3 of the book in an obscure section that most will never read.

After reading all the commentary about engine break-in on the forums I expected to find something very detailed with precise instructions in the Bronco manual and that surprised me. Being a boat owner and running Mercury outboards (my current engine being a 2020 400 HP Verado) I’m pretty familiar with engine break-in procedures but I haven’t seen anything about this related to a new car or truck in at least 35 years so my curiosity drove me to search the manual for whatever was getting people so concerned.

For those who have a desire to see exactly what’s written in the manual I give you page 298 of the 2022 Bronco manual:

BREAKING-IN
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

95B0A17D-AEC2-42B0-B62D-A24A10468149.png
Sponsored