Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford gave Toyota plenty of time to get a replacement for the 4Runner out to try to sway me. If they had at least put out a close to production concept by this point I may have considered it.

Sponsored

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who traded in a 2015 GX460 to purchase my new BL 2DR Lux MIC top I have to say I will be watching this closely.

I love my new Bronco however the top and the subsequent noises is a bit much. I may also just be cranky this morning.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It's just going be another bloated, chunky plastic bumpered, small tired softroader.
The 6th gen 4Runner is no more soft roader than the current 5th gen 4Runner that keeps up with the Bronco nicely.

It is based on an entirely new body-on-frame platform called the TNGA-F, it will be shared with the Tundra, Tacoma and Sequoia.

And remember, the rendering is simply what the author is guessing it may look like, no more accurate then the Bronco renderings were.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford gave Toyota plenty of time to get a replacement for the 4Runner out to try to sway me. If they had at least put out a close to production concept by this point I may have considered it.
If you have any model other then Badland then yes the 4runner is a legit option for you, if you have a Badland non SAS then you will be giving up several cool options I.e. front lockers sway bar disconnect. For the people out there that have Badland SAS the 4runner is not even in the same ballpark. I have a Tacoma, to get the same 35's and suspension I was looking at around 13K ton of body work ie cab mount chop, pinch weld fab. 2 friends have 4runners same deal with them and entrance and departure angles are not even in the same universe. Depends on what you plan to do with your rig

wedemmoez

Badlands
First Name
Moez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have any model other then Badland then yes the 4runner is a legit option for you, if you have a Badland non SAS then you will be giving up several cool options I.e. front lockers sway bar disconnect. For the people out there that have Badland SAS the 4runner is not even in the same ballpark. I have a Tacoma, to get the same 35's and suspension I was looking at around 13K ton of body work ie cab mount chop, pinch weld fab. 2 friends have 4runners same deal with them and entrance and departure angles are not even in the same universe. Depends on what you plan to do with your rig

I had a 2019 4Runner and 2020 Taco before the Bronco, and while the front locker/sway bar disconnect are amazing features to have on the Bronco, its not like the don't have replacements on the 4runner. There's a few companies that make sway bar quick disconnects for relatively cheap, and the 4Runner has a cool software trick called A-TRAC that is designed to make up for the lack of a front locker.

100% the badlands is the better offroader, but i'd say that my 2019 TRD Pro 4Runner was more comfortable on road and for long road trips.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Second source to say the 2023 4Runner release date will be pushed into 2023 instead of late 2022.

Also insights into engines and styling.
Front end on this mockup looks great! Land Cruiser 300 with a better grille and bumper. Tail end looks horrible. Either way, I'm not expecting to see a good looking new 4Runner, because...Toyota.

If they made it look good and gave it a removable top, I'd be all-in. But those two things aren't going to happen.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 6th gen 4Runner is no more soft roader than the current 5th gen 4Runner that keeps up with the Bronco nicely.
I wouldn't count on that. Every generation of 4Runner has gotten more road-oriented than the last. It's going to need big lifts to fit tires Broncos come with stock.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a 2019 4Runner and 2020 Taco before the Bronco, and while the front locker/sway bar disconnect are amazing features to have on the Bronco, its not like the don't have replacements on the 4runner. There's a few companies that make sway bar quick disconnects for relatively cheap, and the 4Runner has a cool software trick called A-TRAC that is designed to make up for the lack of a front locker.

100% the badlands is the better offroader, but i'd say that my 2019 TRD Pro 4Runner was more comfortable on road and for long road trips.
100% agree If pure overlanding or DD runner will do almost everything you need and super comfortable getting there and back. The runner is amazing on and off road. we loved our 4runners and Taco for over 5yrs then we went to Moab and if your not on 35's min then you aren't doing much or doing some serious damage. We have evolved to Overlanders that lean towards rock crawling.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't expect my Bronco to be here before I order a 2023 4Runner even though my Bronco reservation is within hours of reveal. I will be buying whatever gets built first.

If by some miracle my Bronco is actually built this year I will still be watching this and potentially trading for TRD Off-road or Pro.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OOF, Toyota's been dragging their feet with this thing for too long. I'm definitely interested in seeing whether they add some more capability to the 4Runner. As much as I'm looking forward to my Badlands I've never really cared about the removable roof or doors. They're "cool" but the capability is more of what I'm interested in. If they add front lockers and make it easier to add 35s, joined with a quieter interior and a roof that doesn't leak. SOLD!
Sponsored