First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender 90, RRC TDi, 200 series
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone know if the 10Spd Auto transmission allows you to do a 2nd or 3rd gear start? Ideally with a button or some other quick setting to enable it (or just selecting 2nd IDK)..
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

rlynch356

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
yes, you can put it in manual mode and start in 2nd, my jeep rubicon is this way
Thanks I was wondering if it was like the wrangler - I am hopeful there. Some Toyotas allow this as well (land cruiser) but most you have to fool with a sharp throttle application then backing off once in 2nd (locked gear selector in 2nd).

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if the 10Spd Auto transmission allows you to do a 2nd or 3rd gear start? Ideally with a button or some other quick setting to enable it (or just selecting 2nd IDK)..
Thanks
It doesn't in the Raptor, so probably not in the Bronco either. The factory tune does skip gears however (e.g. skip 2nd, etc). In general, you can "suggest" a max gear, but not min. Aftermarket tune can eliminate the gear skip, pedal lag, and anemic acceleration/downshift.

Hopefully they will use the dual-mode 4x4/AWD transfer case from the Raptor in the Bronco. The AWD (4A) mode is great for dry or wet pavement, and 4x4 mode it is mechanically locked for offroad.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rlynch356

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It doesn't in the Raptor, so probably not in the Bronco either. The factory tune does skip gears however (e.g. skip 2nd, etc). In general, you can "suggest" a max gear, but not min. Aftermarket tune can eliminate the gear skip, pedal lag, and anemic acceleration/downshift.
humm, thats disappointing.. since the ability to start in 2nd is a bit crucial off road for hill climbs, mud, etc.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You should be able to go into manual mode and select 2nd gear from a stop. It'll start in second. I can do this in my F-150, I would be shocked if you couldn't in a Raptor

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2019 6speed auto 5.3 Chevy can 2nd gear pull from stop.
So I imagine you can in a ford

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should be able to go into manual mode and select 2nd gear from a stop. It'll start in second. I can do this in my F-150, I would be shocked if you couldn't in a Raptor
Oh, yes. I didn't understand that the question was for manual mode. In manual mode you can select the gear you want for crawling. For 2019 Raptor, you can only start in 1st or 2nd (applies to 4A, 4H, and 4L). I am surprised about the 4L limitation. Manual mode is obnoxious for non-crawling with the 10speed, even with the paddle shifter.

I assume Bronco also has the Drive-mode shift range control for non-crawl, but it starts in 1st.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rlynch356

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually it was for either mode, off road (or in snow in High range), I want to be able to start off in 2nd gear, not in first then shift to 2nd automatically like the Toyota transmission in the 4Runner/Tacoma.
From this it sounds like the F150 that in Manual Mode SelectShift May downshift for you...
"
Understanding your SelectShiftTM Automatic Transmission
Your vehicle is equipped with a SelectShift Automatic transmission gearshift lever. The SelectShift Automatic transmission gives you the ability to change gears up or down (without a clutch) as desired.
In order to prevent the engine from running at too low an RPM, which may cause it to stall, SelectShift still automatically makes some downshifts if it has determined that you have not downshifted in time. Although SelectShift makes some downshifts for you, it still allows you to downshift at any time as long as SelectShift determines that damage to the engine from over-revving does not occur.
SelectShift does not automatically upshift, even if the engine is approaching the RPM limit. It must be shifted manually by pressing the + button.
Note: Engine damage may occur if you maintain excessive engine revving without shifting.
The SelectShift Automatic transmission feature has two modes: PRS and M mode."

Manual (M) with Floor-shifter
Moving the gearshift lever to the manual (M) position allows you to manually select the gear you desire. Only the current gear displays. Use the buttons on the gearshift lever or steering wheel to manually select gears. Press the + button to upshift or the – button to downshift. Return the transmission to a different gearshift position to deactivate manual control.

"

let's hope they included a 2nd gear start in the programing, its a pretty common truck thing to need.
Sponsored