First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I mull over the new tire size for my bronco here next month, is there anyone running the 11.50 wide recon grappler that nitto offers?

There's a few advantages to a narrower tire, and the weight savings/translated to MPG should be slightly more noticiable than the 12.5 and 13.5 counterparts.

Thoughts?

Ford Bronco 37 x 11.50 R17 Nitto Recon Grappler recon grappler
Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Narrow also allows for more tire deflection and grip at lower PSI over wider / fatter tires.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Narrow also allows for more tire deflection and grip at lower PSI over wider / fatter tires.
Tinkerer's Adventure did a great YouTube video on this!

For anyone reading this who doesn't know of this channel, he's a Mechanical Engineer with a passion for offroading and has a bunch of videos on things like front/rear sway bars, IFS suspension dynamics, UCA functionality and the physics behind CV angles vs Diff Drops in 4WD systems.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes! That’s what I was referring to. He gets ultra nerdy on measurements and tire deflection and pressures.

Scienced the shit out of it!

For anyone reading this who doesn't know of this channel, he's a Mechanical Engineer with a passion for offroading and has a bunch of videos on things like front/rear sway bars, IFS suspension dynamics, UCA functionality and the physics behind CV angles vs Diff Drops in 4WD systems.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would like to see a comparison of a whole range of off road tires. I know, impractical, but comparing two tires and drawing conclusions only gives you insight on those two tires. Just as he brought in the KM3 late to show tire construction matters, I wonder about other tires.

Nonetheless, a cool video. (y)

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Novelty tire appealing to people reading a spec sheets. I would stick with a normal size and focus on a better tire. Nitto is not a tire I would run in cold weather.

Nitto not a good tire? How did you come to that conclusion? Lite brite ran them in the arctic circle with close to zero issues.

OP
OP
mrjking2000

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nitto not a good tire? How did you come to that conclusion? Lite brite ran them in the arctic circle with close to zero issues.
and they have really good things to say about this exact tire on the braptor (but not a 11.5 wide)

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would like to see a comparison of a whole range of off road tires. I know, impractical, but comparing two tires and drawing conclusions only gives you insight on those two tires. Just as he brought in the KM3 late to show tire construction matters, I wonder about other tires.

Absolutely agreed - especially considering the tires used in the video were all "E" rated tires, and if I'm not mistaken the Bronco's Sasq tires are C rated, so with a less-stiff sidewall they should flex more.

I imagine the practicality of changing/mounting/deflating/measuring tire deformation around objects is cumbersome enough with 2 sets of tires, but I would definitely pay to see someone do a much more in-depth comparison across a wide spectrum of tires.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

100% agree would live to see other tires and sidewall ratings. I really dig the pipe deflection test to the point I think it should be a spec KPI on all tires.

The only cold weather nitto exp I have is the 555 street and DR...holy crap the cold performance was like ice skating

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your source is Lite Brite? Im out of here.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ran Ridge Grapplers on my TRX. I didn’t find them particularly easy to keep balanced, and the ride was harsh on cold mornings until they heated up. They would flat spot and freeze overnight. Would take 10-15 minutes for them to heat up and smooth back out. All that being said, I liked the looks of them, and they had tons of tread left after 50,000 miles. I opted for KM3’s for my Bronco.

3People1Body

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150 and Taurus.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Less than 5lbs per tire than the 12.5?Yes less rolling mass, but would it make a huge difference in gas milage?

Funny, when I read Nitto in the title, I assumed it was going to be another "true to size" thread... it's not. Cool.
Sponsored