First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m trying to decide on which 4” speaker to go with on a B&O system.
Not planning on doing an amp or dsp for the speakers but considering adding a tailgate mounted sub.
Audison and Hertz are more efficient so would make better use of the factory amp but I may be overthinking it.
Anyone listened to multiple speakers and have an opinion?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a bunch of good options out there... and I've discovered limiting factor is the price you're willing to pay.

The Focal speakers are really good, as are the JBL Infinity Reference, and Kicker CS series. If you want something water resistant, Polk Audio has an awesome pair of marine speakers that are really good for the price. I have zero experience with Audison and Hertz, so no comment there.

Personally bought a set of Kicker KS 4" coaxials, which I've never used before, but the price was right when I bought them. I was supposed to be installing those right now... but of course it's raining outside.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not planning on doing an amp or dsp for the speakers but considering adding a tailgate mounted sub.
Audison and Hertz are more efficient so would make better use of the factory amp but I may be overthinking it.
I really like the Focals. I just upgraded to 6.5 rears with the new pods, highly recommend. So I have 3 of the Focals for sale, 2 slightly used and 1 brand new since had to buy 6. Let me know if interested will be well below new.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve used Hertz on multiple builds, exactly because of their sensitivity. They are very good for the price I think

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried the infinity reference and found the tweeters too harsh. Replaced with alpine s and while not as efficient they sound far better than the infinity speakers. If you are adding a sub the alpine’s are efficient enough.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TXBrian

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really like the Focals. I just upgraded to 6.5 rears with the new pods, highly recommend. So I have 3 of the Focals for sale, 2 slightly used and 1 brand new since had to buy 6. Let me know if interested will be well below new.
Sent you a message.

ilostmydrink

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m going with Hertz because of the sensitivity. It seems that at most the 4” speakers receive 74 watts peak power so any aftermarket speaker should be fine. I do worry about the reliability of a paper cone if the top is run off but the Hertz components are at least treated.

For the kick panels (not part of your original question, I realize) I’m looking at the Memphis Audio Mojo MPJ6 midbass speaker that has a sensitivity of 100dB.

OP
OP
TXBrian

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m going with Hertz because of the sensitivity. It seems that at most the 4” speakers receive 74 watts peak power so any aftermarket speaker should be fine. I do worry about the reliability of a paper cone if the top is run off but the Hertz components are at least treated.

For the kick panels (not part of your original question, I realize) I’m looking at the Memphis Audio Mojo MPJ6 midbass speaker that has a sensitivity of 100dB.
The kick panel speakers seem to be the least “important” so I may also just do a mid bass speaker or match whatever I do in the 4”
Locations.

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT; 2022 Two Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I listened to multiple speakers with Crutchfield's loaner headphones through they're website. The Focal ACX 100's weren't available for listening at the time. I decided to go with JL Audio C1-400x's for the dash. They fit just fine, even though Crutchfield says they don't. I put Hertz DCX 100.3's in the rear pods. Sounds much better for my preference now. I have a single JL C1-400x if your interested in buying it.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Second @Strykerwsu on the Focals. They do tend to run a little brighter than many others, but good sensitivity. I think the only model that was problematic for installation were the PC100s because of the height of the tweeter. The ACX and RCX sounded the same to me (I had both to install), but on paper the ACX has slightly better range and they are the newer model. I really would like to find a set of Morel Maximo 402 MK2 to listen to, though to compare.
Don't expect any miracles with the sound from the speaker swap. Obviously, the factory speakers are not great, but there are a number of issues lacking in the sound system.
@Strykerwsu , did you notice any improvement with the upgraded size on the rear speakers? I keep going back and forth with getting the new Mabbet speaker pods, but there just isn't much help in the sound from that far back so I am torn on the idea of spending the money.

Sponsored

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Focals are bright as far as tweeters go. Also depending on how you tune them and which is very important. I personally run focal flax all around. If you are a serious audiophile then I would find higher end audio such as focal, audison, hertz or morel. There entry level stuff do each brand is exactly that. Entry level. Audison is known for their amps and dsp (digital signal processors) hertz is best for amps as well. While morel is big on speaker quality same as focal. The sky is endless.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Second @Strykerwsu on the Focals. They do tend to run a little brighter than many others, but good sensitivity. I think the only model that was problematic for installation were the PC100s because of the height of the tweeter. The ACX and RCX sounded the same to me (I had both to install), but on paper the ACX has slightly better range and they are the newer model. I really would like to find a set of Morel Maximo 402 MK2 to listen to, though to compare.
Don't expect any miracles with the sound from the speaker swap. Obviously, the factory speakers are not great, but there are a number of issues lacking in the sound system.
@Strykerwsu , did you notice any improvement with the upgraded size on the rear speakers? I keep going back and forth with getting the new Mabbet speaker pods, but there just isn't much help in the sound from that far back so I am torn on the idea of spending the money.
Yes, I made a post in one of the Mabbett threads, but I think the 6.5s is actually a better upgrade 1st than the front speakers if you like fuller sound. Now I came from B&O so wasn't terrible but wasn't good either. The front sound stage is much improved Aftermarket for sure. So in my opinion the 6.5s is a must do.

OP
OP
TXBrian

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve been listening on Crutchfield and narrowed it down to focal, hertz and kicker. They don’t have the focal acx to listen to but do have the rcx which should sound similar .
So I ordered focal acx 100’s for the front and ordered the 6.6” SSV rear pods with 6.5” focals for those.
Waiting on kick panels to see how these do. And waiting for the JL stealth box for the bronco to see if I want to add that.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed these which replaced Morel Coax 6.5s that I had installed previously in the kicks and then moved to Mabett 6.5 pods out back. Very, very happy with them. I (and the wife...) thought it was a little bright up front with the Morel Ultra 402s in the dash and having a coax in the kick panel dropped the soundstage to around the knees. I'm not running any external crossover with them, and don't think I need to. I'm powering these with an AudioControl 4.300 and I have the crossover on the amp set to 80hz. The sound is much more warm and natural sounding than with the Morel coaxs and the soundstage is now up front above the dash where it should be. Those that love metal tweeters probably would think that the sound is too muddy, but to me its perfect. Also, these pound for a 6.5. I'm sure a lot of it is the high sensitivity, but these vibrate the floorboards, which the Morel's wouldn't come close to doing.

acarzt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Alpine speakers and I'm pretty happy with them.
Sponsored