Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford could easily make this right. Ship as many hard tops as they can and the remaining units that they have capacity to build simply send them out with soft tops. When they recover and have the capacity in 22, have the dealers install the hard tops on the customers vehicles that were affected. Its not that difficult.
Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the email clearly states hardtops are the issue.
I’m a July 29 reservation. I know that’s way late.
But I’m a soft top only 4 door
According to the email I got earlier today it should make it to where I get mine faster. Was assuming I’d be 22, but now I’m thinking I’m 21.
Correct?
There are no guarantees and it really depends on the rest of the builds constraints.

mpmcgaughey

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150, 2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah... I also didnt get the email. I wonder what that means.
Well, from your profile pic, it looks like we're both 2 door Cactus Gray MIC top orderers...maybe that means ours are getting scheduled or there wasn't a big enough field to include our email addresses in the "To..." space 😅

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford could easily make this right. Ship as many hard tops as they can and the remaining units that they have capacity to build simply send them out with soft tops. When they recover and have the capacity in 22, have the dealers install the hard tops on the customers vehicles that were affected. Its not that difficult.
Then they would have to be able to supply tops for already sold 2021s as well as 2022s in the works. Webasto is too incompetent to even get any tops out now, what will change in 9 months?

I certainly don't see a shortage of Wrangler hardtops on the lots. The fact of the matter is Webasto should never have been making the tops if they couldn't keep up with demand that's been known about for nearly a YEAR.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

0 new information. Nice

FORD is a $57B company that is blaming their inability to produce vehicles on not having enough hardtops. Not only is this embarrassing for FORD but it seems to convey a lack of processes. When a vulnerability in manufacturing is encountered some AI based tool should enable an efficient and nimble correction. Certainly more than we are seeing. I can't help to think that upper management has taken their eye off the Bronco ball and is focusing the companies' resources on the EV lines. JMHO

Oh, and I'm pretty disappointed! :mad:
The only AI based tool that will enable an efficient and nimble correction is the one between the ears of the project manager, design engineer manufacturing engineer and quality engineer. We are talking about real, physical hardware here, not some software algorithm.

On every engineering program I have been involved in, we have the manufacturing engineer in our weekly meetings and design reviews. After the design engineers review their items, I turn to the manufacturing engineer and say, can you produce this or what changes do we need to make? Next, we build multiple prototypes to validate the design and then while we ramp up production, for the first month or two, we are on the production floor daily, helping the manufacturing engineer resolve any product issues.

When we do this with a supplier, we stay engaged by video conference or by traveling to their facility, when something is important or critical, we have someone traveling to see them weekly or even living there for a period of time.

Clearly, Ford seems to lack any of these processes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BC33

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, my dealership called me and asked if I wanted to change my order. Literally the first time they have ever contacted me. I’m on the fence about whether to change to the four door and add soft top or stick with the two door.
I made the switch from a 2D BD to a 4D BB. I loved the look of the 2D but wasn’t sure it was going to have the room for everything I wanted to do. When I saw the 4D in person I knew it was the way to go. Also I didn’t like the MGV which is why I picked the BD originally. Long story short, I made the switch Wednesday night and got a build week email Thursday. I have a 4D Wrangler with a soft top and definitely won’t miss not having a wiper in the back that gets deleted in the soft top Bronco but I would have missed cruising with the top down!

Broncridin

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My Ford email went to spam . Had to dig it out from there. Should have went straight to trash. Can't wait for the next Ford email saying unfortunately due to the "rubber shortage" we will not be able to supply tires for your Bronco. Please order those yourself and bring to the dealer when picking yours up. We are giving you a coupon for free Omaha steaks because of this issue.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So unless you want a stripped down base model with a soft top, you are not getting a Bronco any time soon…. Got it.
Not 100% true. I have a vin w/ a base, but I got the 2.7 and sas. You want the bronco early it's the hard top. I guess if you need all the creature comfort packages too then you will be waiting.

I made the switch from a 2D BD to a 4D BB. I loved the look of the 2D but wasn’t sure it was going to have the room for everything I wanted to do. When I saw the 4D in person I knew it was the way to go. Also I didn’t like the MGV which is why I picked the BD originally. Long story short, I made the switch Wednesday night and got a build week email Thursday. I have a 4D Wrangler with a soft top and definitely won’t miss not having a wiper in the back that gets deleted in the soft top Bronco but I would have missed cruising with the top down!
I was in the same situation. I originally wanted a 2d BD, but was alway bothered with the lack of space. Once I saw the 4 door in person I was super impressed with it and wad happy I switched. I liked how the MGV looked, but it seemed thin. I can always get nice new seat covers for my base.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll probably end up doing the same. I was originally going to stick with the two door but Ford not having any sort of clue as to when the hard top issue is going to be resolved makes the changeover decision a bit easier. I really don’t care about the rear window defroster or windshield wiper. Don’t really need them living in the south anyways. I’m going to be dropping the tow package also. I will be sticking with the Badlands, 2.7 liter engine, Sasquatch and lux though.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only AI based tool that will enable an efficient and nimble correction is the one between the ears of the project manager, design engineer manufacturing engineer and quality engineer. We are talking about real, physical hardware here, not some software algorithm.

On every engineering program I have been involved in, we have the manufacturing engineer in our weekly meetings and design reviews. After the design engineers review their items, I turn to the manufacturing engineer and say, can you produce this or what changes do we need to make? Next, we product multiple prototypes to validate the design and then while we ramp up production, for the first month or two, we are on the production floor daily, helping the manufacturing engineer resolve any product issues.

When we do this with a supplier, we stay engaged by video conference or by traveling to their facility, when something is important or critical, we have someone traveling to see them weekly or even living there for a period of time.

Clearly, Ford seems to lack any of these processes.
I've experienced a version of your process listed above. One thing to remember is that during some of the critical time when you have had a fair amount of travel between Ford and Webasto, we were in the throws of a pandemic when travel was restricted for most businesses. They may be feeling the pain of addressing issues that could have been identified and addressed during the construction of the facility and finalizing the production equipment design / construction. Sometimes those items that are wrong can be hard to fix after the fact.

I experience issues of process equipment coming in with features missing or utilities requirements that weren't coordinated driving design changes in the facility that can be a real pain.

Not that I want to give Ford a pass. I'm seeing my Bronco pushed farther and farther away. Generally feeling bummed.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've experienced a version of your process listed above. One thing to remember is that during some of the critical time when you have had a fair amount of travel between Ford and Webasto, we were in the throws of a pandemic when travel was restricted for most businesses. They may be feeling the pain of addressing issues that could have been identified and addressed during the construction of the facility and finalizing the production equipment design / construction. Sometimes those items that are wrong can be hard to fix after the fact.

I experience issues of process equipment coming in with features missing or utilities requirements that weren't coordinated driving design changes in the facility that can be a real pain.

Not that I want to give Ford a pass. I'm seeing my Bronco pushed farther and farther away. Generally feeling bummed.
I hear you, but Ford signed a contract with Webasto for their knowledge of how to produce hardtops, should Ford be there every step of the way, good idea, but normally it does not happen until the vendor proves they screwed things up and need help. My most memorable one, my boss comes to me and says, I need you to fly to London UK tomorrow to go manage a vendors development, like Webasto, they faked it until they could make it, but screwed up on execution.

I've worked on many projects with international customers, on hardware and software development, where we have done quite well with phone calls and video conferences, before the pandemic, so that process works regardless of your ability to travel.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While it makes sense, and clearly you're more in the know than most, I just don't see this as being a solution. They likely sourced the washer components based upon projections and if they offer this on soft tops these components would likely just become the next constrained items. Therefore impacting the MIC that they can deliver.
The workshop manuals are not available yet but wiring disgrams are. We are only talking about a couple of short jumper harnesses and a little hose. Why they didn’t just do it on all for future options is beyond me. Based on what I can see in the wiring it would be rediculously minimal cost wise. Most of the components (wiring pigtails) are already widely used on other parts of the vehicle as well as other vehicle lines. This is so basic, they could have made one harness for a two door and one for four door. Instead, there are at least 4 different options for the one going back on the driver side. Makes no sense to me.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just can’t make myself do it. When I look at the profile of the 2dr (especially those with dark colors or black) I see the lines and striking similarities of the gen 1 Broncos. I don’t see that resemblance in the 4drs. I really like the look of the black 4dr WildTrak, and might have considered that as an option, but like the 2dr.....no soft top option for the WT either.
I’ve waited this long and would kick myself for compromising when, eventually, I would run into someone driving the bronco I wanted, but folded on. I dropped the tow pkg since I just bought a 21 Ranger and that tows fine, and might be willing to go from Lux to high if I thought it would matter, but that’s it.
With a 6:10 Mt 7/13 reservation and a #1 dealership allocation, I would hope, at some point in the process, that will matter. We shall see.

Last edited:

jason1114

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok I had a reservation back in October, but cancelled it been regretting it ever since, I’m really thinking about reserving again, it may take 2 years but what the hell, wife’s car will be paid off, house will be sold, we can save for a down payment. 🤔🤔🤔 maybe Ford has helped me out here..... and believe it or not this kinda stuff happens a lot more than you think, I work for a supplier and know what demands the auto makers put on the manufactures of goods.
Sponsored