First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4dr Badsquatch. 22 JLUR-XR.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On Saturday, Oct 1, the Tucson Broncos offroad club decided to tackle Charouleau Gap, just north of Tucson AZ. My wife and I decided to take both our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, and the JLUR-XR. Little did we know the adventure that awaited us....

The trip started as expected. We came across some of the popular obstacles on the trail and were enjoying ourselves thoroughly.

Me on Mini Moab

Bronco conquering Kiss Rock right line

We played in a creek bed with some boulders and diff catchers.

After this is when things got bad. We decided to soldier on even though it was getting late. We should have turned around, since the rumors on the Facebook groups were that the trail from this point on was impassable. Boy were we in for it.

The trail continues winding through the mountains, and it was so washed out on some spots that 100 yards would take almost an hour to get past. It got dark fast. Here is one of the dozens of recoveries of the night.

I don't have a video of this next spot, but there was a squeeze that didn't use to exist. I was in front with the JLUR and got some damage.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 20221005_105315-

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 20221005_105319-

No way were the wider Broncos going to make it through, so we had to create our own bypass, which took hours to get everyone through. Here is my wife's Bronco being the first to tackle that bypass.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 20221001_195040-

After this, the crazy washed out V notches started. We went over dozens of these it felt like by the end of the trip, and in the dark they were no joke.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 0418440_5686781938056156_6145840424971057327_n-

After that the night hit its worst point. The TJ currently leading the column fell into a TJ-sized hole. We were able to winch him out, and everyone was OK, but it took a few more hours.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 10625-jpe

After we got him upright, it was 1:30am. We decided to tackle the hole in the morning.
About 5:30am we started filling in the hole with rocks and spare tires. Worked like a charm. Sorry no pics of this.

After some more v notches, we suddenly found ourselves facing a washed out section of the road... the impassable part we had been warned about. About 30 feet of road was gone, maybe 15 feet deep. The sides were almost vertical. We had no choice. We got to work. We filled in a couple feet with rocks, and used shovels to chip away at the edge to help the approach angle. I was first in line, and there was no way to get anyone else around me... so it was up to me. I had to drop into this small canyon and get out the other side... or we were calling an offroad recovery company. After airing down further and taking the spare tire off for better departure angle, in I went. I had a strap on me to help lower me in at the extreme angle, probably more than 60 degrees.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 9582393_5686558221411861_6206853264555260930_n-

Then it was time to climb...

Made it! I was able to use a strap to pull up the next rig, and so on. While going down into it, one of the Broncos got tippy. An older gentlemen jumped on the bumper to try and add weight... bad decision. When he jumped off, he slipped and dislocated his shoulder. We made him a makeshift sling and he powered through, driving his own rig the rest of the way out. He did get medical attention, and is doing good.

From here it wasn't exactly smooth sailing, but the remaining obstacles seemed like childs play. We finally got off the trail. Talk about a crazy adventure. A 9 hour off road trip turned into a 29 hour epic adventure that I don't want to repeat!

EDIT: Update on the gentlemen who bust his shoulder! Not dislocated, looks like just some soft tissue damage. MRI will help determine full extent of the damage, but he is in great spirits and seems ready to start wheeling again lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On Saturday, Oct 1, the Tucson Broncos offroad club decided to tackle Charouleau Gap, just north of Tucson AZ. My wife and I decided to take both our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, and the JLUR-XR. Little did we know the adventure that awaited us....

The trip started as expected. We came across some of the popular obstacles on the trail and were enjoying ourselves thoroughly.

Me on Mini Moab

After this is when things got bad. We decided to soldier on even though it was getting late. We should have turned around, since the rumors on the Facebook groups were that the trail from this point on was impassable. Boy were we in for it.

The trail continues winding through the mountains, and it was so washed out on some spots that 100 yards would take almost an hour to get past. It got dark fast. Here is one of the dozens of recoveries of the night.

I don't have a video of this next spot, but there was a squeeze that didn't use to exist. I was in front with the JLUR and got some damage.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap 9582393_5686558221411861_6206853264555260930_n-

No way were the wider Broncos going to make it through, so we had to create our own bypass, which took hours to get everyone through. Here is my wife's Bronco being the first to tackle that bypass.

After this, the crazy washed out V notches started. We went over dozens of these it felt like by the end of the trip, and in the dark they were no joke.

After that the night hit its worst point. The TJ currently leading the column fell into a TJ-sized hole. We were able to winch him out, and everyone was OK, but it took a few more hours.

After we got him upright, it was 1:30am. We decided to tackle the hole in the morning.
About 5:30am we started filling in the hole with rocks and spare tires. Worked like a charm. Sorry no pics of this.

After some more v notches, we suddenly found ourselves facing a washed out section of the road... the impassable part we had been warned about. About 30 feet of road was gone, maybe 15 feet deep. The sides were almost vertical. We had no choice. We got to work. We filled in a couple feet with rocks, and used shovels to chip away at the edge to help the approach angle. I was first in line, and there was no way to get anyone else around me... so it was up to me. I had to drop into this small canyon and get out the other side... or we were calling an offroad recovery company. After airing down further and taking the spare tire off for better departure angle, in I went. I had a strap on me to help lower me in at the extreme angle, probably more than 60 degrees.

Made it! I was able to use a strap to pull up the next rig, and so on. While going down into it, one of the Broncos got tippy. An older gentlemen jumped on the bumper to try and add weight... bad decision. When he jumped off, he slipped and dislocated his shoulder. We made him a makeshift sling and he powered through, driving his own rig the rest of the way out. He did get medical attention, and is doing good.

From here it wasn't exactly smooth sailing, but the remaining obstacles seemed like childs play. We finally got off the trail. Talk about a crazy adventure. A 9 hour off road trip turned into a 29 hour epic adventure that I don't want to repeat!
Ok, it doesn't sound like the best time but it seems like an epic adventure. I'm sure you'll be talking about this one at Thanksgiving for years

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was planning to go with you guys. Unfortunately, I got drunk with a long lost friend the night before and overslept. :ROFLMAO:

Glad you guys are OK.

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was planning to go with you guys. Unfortunately, I got drunk with a long lost friend the night before and overslept. :ROFLMAO:

Glad you guys are OK.
Your story sounds more enjoyable than what we went through lol

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, it doesn't sound like the best time but it seems like an epic adventure. I'm sure you'll be talking about this one at Thanksgiving for years
Yep, this is going to be one of those" Remember that time?" stories. Great job on working through it all. (y)

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This would never happen to the Phoenix Bronco group. 😁

Glad everyone made it back. That’s gonna be a hell of a story for years to come.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This would never happen to the Phoenix Bronco group. 😁

Glad everyone made it back. Thar’s gonna be a hell of a story for years to come.
We actually had some Santan Ford Bronco guys with us, they were a huge part of getting us out of many jams!

BUWNKL

Badlands
First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Me on Mini Moab

That's BUWNKL!! Good thing we took off the bumper end caps when we first got it. That plastic cover around the D ring mount didn't stand a chance! Damage report, small dent on driver rock rail, gas tank skid plate looks like someone played a million games of tic-tac-toe, rear control arms are scraped up pretty good but still straight, tierods good, rear shock mounts are tore up but still holding good. Front bumper and skid plate have some new beauty marks. Definitely an adventure.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been there done that on Smasher Canyon in Verde Valley. 2.4 miles took 15 hours, it really got to the point of not being fun anymore.

My last trip through the gap was in about 2003 with a group from Tucson Rough Riders, it wasn’t nearly as washed out back then.

Ford Bronco Unexpected 29 Hour Offroad Adventure With Our Bronco Badlands Sasquatch and Jeep JLUR-XR @ Charouleau Gap B1B58396-1F4F-49D2-BA82-8F594CE2CD0B

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow. Glad you had the proper tool to make it thru that valley of death.

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That sounds like a wild adventure!

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, what you're saying is this is what a badge of honor trail should be, EARNED, like really really f***ing earned.

I kinda really want to do it, a lot (with the understanding that it's going to be stooopid hard).
Sponsored

Last edited: