Sponsored

87 top-tier gas, 93 non-top-tier gas, or mix it up for the Bronco?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I figure if I stick to the Top Tier gas overall it won't hurt to use another gas from time to time. I've been doing that for a long time without any negative repercussions.
Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fuel they use on the spaceX rocket sounds good to me. Weeee.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good point on the heat and the engine having to pull timing accordingly! We're not Arizona hot, but pretty damn hot here in central Texas with temperatures well over 100 over the pavement and rocks for most of the summer. Seems like premium, top tier or not, would be worth it in high heat/high engine stress conditions.
Plus, phoenix is one of the biggest cities that doesn't have any kind of oil refinery near us. So most of the gas here has been sitting a while by the time it gets here, leading our 91 to usually wash out somewhere around 88 or lower. Most of the time, I get gas at costco, simply because they turn over their stock so fast that it tends to be the freshest

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As you asked for opinions, here's mine; regardless of what octane you want to run, stick with top tier gasoline. Why spend so much on a vehicle and skimp on keeping the engine running as well and long as possible? Routine oil and filter changes and running top tier gas will keep you and your engine happy for a long time. There's a reason many car companies ask that you run top tier in their cars.

See this article for reference:
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/....pdf?cjevent=dde2e7ba971e11eb82b000e80a82b824

An excerpt from the above article:
1. The test engine operated on a TOP TIER gasoline averaged 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than when it was operated on non- TOP TIER gasoline. (based on the ASTM D6201 test - TOP TIER gasoline averaged 34.1mg of deposits per intake valve versus non- TOP TIER average of 660.6mg)
2. Based upon secondary research findings, long-term use of a gasoline without an enhanced additive package can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2-4%, drivability issues, and increased emissions. © 2016 American Automobile Association, Inc.
3. In most cases, carbon deposits can be reduced or removed from critical engine components 1 by switching to a gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards.
4. Approximately six in ten drivers (63%) believe there is a difference in the quality of gasoline sold by retailers, yet only (12%) of drivers purchase gasoline based upon its detergent additive package. The primary motivation for choosing a particular gas station is location / convenience (75%), followed closely by the price of the fuel (73%).
5. Most TOP TIER gasolines do not cost significantly more than non-TOP TIER gasoline. The average price difference between the TOP TIER and non-TOP TIER brands surveyed was three cents per gallon over a 12-month period.

I won't get into the whole octane argument, so let's compare the same octane levels from different suppliers. Assume you drive 15,000 miles per year and get 17 mpg, that's 882 gallons of gas per year. Even a $0.10 per gallon difference from non-top tier to top tier in fuel cost only amounts to $88.23 per year. As there's so many top tier suppliers out there, finding it isn't a problem, so why not run it?

Sponsored

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's all bullshit. I drove a tanker for a couple years. Saw tankers from all suppliers filling their tanks at the same places I fueled my tanker.

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a new ranger with a 2.3EB. I have run a few tanks of gas through it but my initial impression is that the difference isn't noticeable. My engine isn't fully broken in but most people with rangers seem to report about 1-2mpg difference running 93. I am not fully convinced of that but it does feel a little smoother with 93 vs 87, again partially subjective.

I usually run 89 in my 3.5EB expedition.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what fuel would y'all put in the Bronco? 87 top tier (Shell for example), 93 Sams club, or just mix it up and fill up with 87 shell for one tank and then a 93 sams club for the next tank? Or even just 87 Sams club on occasion if you're feeling cheap? I'm getting a squatched 4dr BD (almost 5300 lbs) 2.7L FWIW. Edit: also getting shadow black and live in Central Texas, so high air intake and engine temps are also of concern).
I'll likely put Top Tier 87 unless there's a performance tune for 91 or 93. Also, for those who are curious here's a list of stations that only sell Top Tier gasoline:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel you on that one, I haven't used less than 93 octane in 5 years. The car I just sold was tuned specifically for 93 octane and I had to bring a bottle of octane booster on a road trip through NM and CO because it would throw a check engine light on 91 octane. I'm looking forward to putting regular 87 in something.
My '88 Electra-Glide has aftermarket intake, carb, exhaust and a few other things and needs a little extra oomph in the summer. There used to be a Union 76 out in Berwyn that sold racing fuel and also a custom blend that was something like 98 octane. Every now and then I'd head out there during the summer and get some of that blend to help keep the knock away - really only got any benefit when it was in the upper 90's and for city/stop & go driving - slow driving and an air cooled motor with no air is not much fun for the motor or my thighs. :)

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As you asked for opinions, here's mine; regardless of what octane you want to run, stick with top tier gasoline. Why spend so much on a vehicle and skimp on keeping the engine running as well and long as possible? Routine oil and filter changes and running top tier gas will keep you and your engine happy for a long time. There's a reason many car companies ask that you run top tier in their cars.

See this article for reference:
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/....pdf?cjevent=dde2e7ba971e11eb82b000e80a82b824

An excerpt from the above article:
1. The test engine operated on a TOP TIER gasoline averaged 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than when it was operated on non- TOP TIER gasoline. (based on the ASTM D6201 test - TOP TIER gasoline averaged 34.1mg of deposits per intake valve versus non- TOP TIER average of 660.6mg)
2. Based upon secondary research findings, long-term use of a gasoline without an enhanced additive package can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2-4%, drivability issues, and increased emissions. © 2016 American Automobile Association, Inc.
3. In most cases, carbon deposits can be reduced or removed from critical engine components 1 by switching to a gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards.
4. Approximately six in ten drivers (63%) believe there is a difference in the quality of gasoline sold by retailers, yet only (12%) of drivers purchase gasoline based upon its detergent additive package. The primary motivation for choosing a particular gas station is location / convenience (75%), followed closely by the price of the fuel (73%).
5. Most TOP TIER gasolines do not cost significantly more than non-TOP TIER gasoline. The average price difference between the TOP TIER and non-TOP TIER brands surveyed was three cents per gallon over a 12-month period.

I won't get into the whole octane argument, so let's compare the same octane levels from different suppliers. Assume you drive 15,000 miles per year and get 17 mpg, that's 882 gallons of gas per year. Even a $0.10 per gallon difference from non-top tier to top tier in fuel cost only amounts to $88.23 per year. As there's so many top tier suppliers out there, finding it isn't a problem, so why not run it?
I hear you. People are going to believe what their predispositions lead them to believe; for those that won't bother to read the AAA article you reference I'll distill it down to one picture that's worth at least a thousand words (page 17 of the article). These were new valves run for 100 hours with a random selection of 6 gasoline sources - 3 top tier and 3 non top-tier. Do what you want with your motor, I know what I'm doing with mine.
Ford Bronco 87 top-tier gas, 93 non-top-tier gas, or mix it up for the Bronco? CR-Cars-Inline-AAA-Fuel-Quality-Comparison-07-16

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My '88 Electra-Glide has aftermarket intake, carb, exhaust and a few other things and needs a little extra oomph in the summer. There used to be a Union 76 out in Berwyn that sold racing fuel and also a custom blend that was something like 98 octane. Every now and then I'd head out there during the summer and get some of that blend to help keep the knock away - really only got any benefit when it was in the upper 90's and for city/stop & go driving - slow driving and an air cooled motor with no air is not much fun for the motor or my thighs. :)
Yeah, my 18 Street Glide has intake, exhaust, cam, and tune so 93 and above for it as well. Luckily the 107 motor doesn't get near as hot as older motors did so riding through the summer isn't as big of an issue with heat radiating up the thighs.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, my 18 Street Glide has intake, exhaust, cam, and tune so 93 and above for it as well. Luckily the 107 motor doesn't get near as hot as older motors did so riding through the summer isn't as big of an issue with heat radiating up the thighs.
Yeah, they've made just a *few* changes in the intervening 30 years, LOL. Dry sump, 4-valve heads, counterbalancers, EFI . . . I'm a caveman on 2 wheels. 😄

darren

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda passport touring 2wd
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My mercedes is top tier..91 or higher. I usually do a mix in the summer..figured I'll do the same in the bronco.
i got a 2015 320i and pump 87 is good enough for it. It sits for long periods and gets beat on when ever it needs it. Says 93 or above on the gas cap door....naahhh. I'm in FL. I think region plays a big part in fuel consideration and needs. Different regions all have different blends.
Sponsored