A little disappointed after test drive.

txozpilot

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda (Worlds best family van) Odyssey ;)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks for the review.. I actually like the sound of what you’re taking about. My FE will be my daily driver and weekend warrior so not having any surprises while on the road is actually a plus to myself.
Having driven quite a few Wranglers I won’t miss the “where are the wheels pointing” feeling when driving around town lol.
As for the fanboys on here telling you to cancel, grow up people. The man was giving an honest first drive opinion, he never said he didn’t want the truck anymore. Ford has done a great job by the sound of it but if you think they don’t want to hear some feedback or constructive criticism from real drivers, then I guess you don’t want the Bronco to get any better!
I’m all for the Bronco getting better so more power to the reviewers! Keep em coming!

Ashley5180

First Edition
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I like your review, and it was based off of your expectations. I can respect that and know that yours and mine are not necessarily the same. I have owned jeeps and my first car was a 78 bronco. I love both for very different reasons. I am a mom and having a vehicle that accommodates my mom duties is important. I travel a lot, so having a vehicle that accommodates that is also important. When I have a moment of not parenting or working, the hubs and I love to go off roading and camping. So the fact that my 21 Bronco can do all of that....makes it all worth while. Will it check ALL of the boxes and I will love every thing about it.....no, most likely not. But that is OK. It checks most of them and probably more than most vehicles out there. So, thanks for your review. It's nice to hear different opinions and I add it to my delivery check list. I should be taking delivery in a few days and I am excited to report back my thoughts and any concerns I may have. We are all a part of the Bronco Community and just like family, we will not always agree on everything.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, mostly positive but Nothing truely impressed me and I’m not sure I love the seats yet or the larger feel. It’s nicer ride and more responsive steering makes it a little more boring to drive if that makes any sense. I know that sounds kind of stupid.
My wrangler had an issue with the radiator / HVAC system but it was covered. Other than that it’s been trouble free. I think every manufacturer makes fairly reliable vehicles at this point. The Bronco will have its issues.
Sounds to me that you're confusing "fun to drive" with dangerous to drive, but you own a JK and are used to it.

Honestly, I get that. The wondering nature of a SFA and overall unpredictibility can seem fun; to the young in my opinion.

Guys who wheel, spend several thousands to do what they can to improve the on road feel and drivability of a Wrangler and this can be done, but it takes a suspension overhaul when fitting tires that are 35"- 40", whereas the Bronco is stable off the lot.

I'm coming from BMWs, so I value precise tracking of the steering wheel. I in no way expect the same level of precision, but most vehicles should track straight and be able to take a pothole without jumping onto the edge of a lane. The wondering Wrangler effect tends to happen above 65mph and wind can make it worse, so it's just dangerous. Off road, this isn't even a thing when your Wrangler is crawling or just cruising at 25mph or less.

Anyway, I do appreciate your perspective as a JK owner and it is worth taking note as a comparison. IFS will always feel better during highway driving and is more composed, but the off road compromises are a trade off as you're well aware.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2016 Bronco prototype? What 2016 Bronco prototype? There was a Bronco Prototype that was conveniently used in a movie (Rampage) that came put about the same time as Ford announced the Bronco was coming back but that was the 2004 Prototype.

Sponsored

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Background- I’ve owned since new a 2013 Wrangler JKU Sahara that I’ve put 150k miles on. I’m 6’2 / 230lbs. There is very little off-roading where I am, but I like to get off the pavement wherever possible. Mostly on road / daily driver miles

I finally got to test drive today. 4dr badlands. While the dimensions are very close to my wrangler, it seems much larger and heavier. Even though it’s barely bigger than the jeep, the interior is much roomier. The windshield is farther away. I have to lean forward to adjust the rear view mirror for instance, where it’s much closer in the jeep. Armrest / cup holders seemed to be comfortable enough with the seat all the way back - something that isn’t easy to find in many vehicles. The seats are much more plush/soft than the jeep. I didn’t adjust them perfectly so they weren’t as comfortable to me as they hopefully could be. I very much like the upright driving position of a jeep. This is close to that but not quite. The vinyl upholstery is weird. I think I like it, but it’s different. The overall fit and finish seems good. I get what some say about the dash seeming light / flimsy but I don’t know if I care. The grab handles are just better and more usable in the wrangler.
The rear tail gait is huge compared to the jeep. No issue with that, but it surprised me. The rear cargo area floor space seems smaller than the jeep, I don’t know if it is-it’s close in size I’m sure but “feels” smaller. Lifting the back of the soft top took more effort than I was expecting. It’s not difficult but it was heavier than I expected. I’m not sold on that being a great feature, but the jeep is a pain in the ass so this has to be better. The side windows on the soft top are saggy and wrinkled. The clips to attach them of course contribute. Initial impression is that I prefer Jeep’s method and resulting appearance.
All of the electronics worked well and were very responsive. Driving impression- plenty of power. It really pulls from a stop. It was a short drive but feels comfortable, lines of sight good. It felt to me like a much bigger vehicle and had and plusher ride than my jeep. Something about that made it feel less fun to drive though. It was only about a 15 min drive, so I definitely need to do another and really assess things better. I just wanted to be wowed and love it, but i was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. It’s definitely nice And felt well built but it didn’t have the fun to drive feel that I was looking for. I’ve been excited for the new Bronco since the 2016 prototype and I just feel a little underwhelmed by it now. I definitely need another drive and to spend more time with it. This time was a bit rushed.
I know everyone here is still hyped on it but I wanted to share my initial impression.
I get this. I drove a 4dr, 2.3 auto BL today. There wasn’t much of a wow factor aside from the stunning appearance. It did feel big. But then again, Ive been driving an 04 Ranger for 17 years and now a 21 Ranger, and a 2016 MKZ, as my most recent vehicles, so I’m sure that made the 4dr Bronco feel ginormous, but not in a horrible way.

Also, the mid pkg was exactly that, and the standard sound system was pretty terrible. I left the top down, so I didn’t perceive the window sag, but that’s been a common complaint.

I look forward to my 2dr BL with the 2.7L….hopefully it will feel a bit more nimble and snappy and the Lux pkg will make it feel a little more premium.

gaspasm

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a test drive set up Monday. While not my build (it's a 4dr WT 2.7 sasq and I'm getting 2dr BL 2.7 sasq) it should give me a decent idea of I'll be happy with it
I just drove a 2dr outer banks/non sasq
2.7. You will love it.

CCABD5F0-23EC-4856-8243-D187D7C06FBE.jpeg

5E7ACCDB-A19B-4237-B501-1DE1F9F35288.jpeg

gaspasm

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just drove a 2dr outer banks/non sasq
2.7. You will love it.

Ford Bronco A little disappointed after test drive. 5E7ACCDB-A19B-4237-B501-1DE1F9F35288

Ford Bronco A little disappointed after test drive. 5E7ACCDB-A19B-4237-B501-1DE1F9F35288
This is just to compare a 2dr to a stock 150 4x4. 4dr. Short bed. If it helps with perceeptions.

OP
OP
CT203

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been worried that Ford engineered the fun out of the vehicle. Made it more for soccer moms who want to look tough, but want a vehicle that rides like their Toyota Highlander.

I think what has me more worried than this review is the praise that many of the car reviewers are heaping on its road manners. The fact that most of them love that it drives like a CUV on road makes me wonder if they remember the point of this vehicle class is to have fun.

I have only had the opportunity to sit in one. I guess I really need to set my appointment for a test drive and see if it’s Jeep fun, or more Toyota RAV 4.
I’ll be curious to hear your impression once you drive.

OP
OP
CT203

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is pure speculation on my part having not had the experience to drive the new bronco, but if it is part 1966, part 1991 and part contemporary high tech suv, I will be satisfied.
I have no doubt you’ll be satisfied. Perhaps not enough 66-77, but that’s to be expected.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate the thoughts - I think it's fun to read about how different everyone's perspectives are and how we all want something a little different. I'm actually more excited after reading your review because your nits are exactly my wants! I enjoy my JLU, but really want something more comfortable to sit in, slightly larger in the interior so I don't feel cramped, and most importantly something that drives a whole lot more like a modern SUV on the road while having serious off-road chops.

Thanks for posting!

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unfortunately, there are some on the forum who, for whatever reason, derive some sort of self-worth via their affinity for Ford products. They take a critique, however small, as a personal attack and have to lash out. Can’t for the life of me figure it out, but more power to them if that is all they have in their lives.
Some people don’t realize they’re nothing more than a number in a market segment to these giant corporations. Instead they think Mike Levine keeps their framed 8x10 portrait on his desk, while he gently kisses two fingers, then lovingly touches the photo every night before he leaves work.

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get it. I drove a 4 door, 2.3, A10, Outer Banks with leather and mid package…. I wanted to love it, but it was just OK. I tried to envision it with the Sasquatch package, but it was just boring.
I’m still excited to get my base, 4 door, Sasquatch, 2.7 and hit the trails though.
My jeep worked really well, ran strong with 5.13’s and a 6 speed, drove really well…although I had several thousand in the suspension.
Bronco seats are more comfortable, and it does feel bigger, in a good way. Those were my two big positives on it.

What i test drove and what i sold for my new bronco.

8FAAE5BF-5DF5-44A8-9E5D-8755961E836A.jpeg

B7D94956-830C-4088-A8F0-CF6165F66FF0.jpeg

1B70F549-AE3D-404F-A018-34AE239FBE87.jpeg

912EE58C-E621-4908-8124-7A91F3F8A7F1.jpeg

MattECDNdealer

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Demo: 21 Bronco BL (2dr 2.3 MT) Toy: 04 TJ Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2016 Bronco prototype? What 2016 Bronco prototype? There was a Bronco Prototype that was conveniently used in a movie (Rampage) that came put about the same time as Ford announced the Bronco was coming back but that was the 2004 Prototype.
Rampage movie that showed the 2004 Prototype came out in 2018.

Lengthening the development time is a subtle dig a Ford, I keep hearing/reading it from people. "The've been working on this for years...." insinuating there should be zero shortcomings or issues due to a very long development cycle, must be due poor planning/incompetence etc.

There were no "prototypes" in 2016. The only thing the OP might have see is one of the many renders of a what could be a new Bronco done by members of the public/press that had no base in reality or any inside information from ford. There are lots of these "renders" that float around about possible future vehicles or "what-ifs" from car manufactures. They are fun to look at and talk about, but most don't realise these have no affiliation with the companies that actually design and build these cars. These renders are essentially "fan art". Click bait "auto news" websites (they don't have much in the way of real news, but publish hearsay and outright falsehoods) take these renders and put them out there like they are really what is coming from the manufacturer.

These were "fan art" and were never going to happen:

Ford Bronco A little disappointed after test drive. 2016-Ford-Bronco-Concept
Ford Bronco A little disappointed after test drive. 2017-Ford-bronco-660x300

It was the NAIAS in 2017 that it was officially announced that the Bronco would be returning. It is also well documented that "pen had not been put to paper on a design" when that announcement was made. There were certainly no prototypes or even test mules in the works at that point.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sounds to me that you're confusing "fun to drive" with dangerous to drive, but you own a JK and are used to it.

Honestly, I get that. The wondering nature of a SFA and overall unpredictibility can seem fun; to the young in my opinion.

Guys who wheel, spend several thousands to do what they can to improve the on road feel and drivability of a Wrangler and this can be done, but it takes a suspension overhaul when fitting tires that are 35"- 40", whereas the Bronco is stable off the lot.

I'm coming from BMWs, so I value precise tracking of the steering wheel. I in no way expect the same level of precision, but most vehicles should track straight and be able to take a pothole without jumping onto the edge of a lane. The wondering Wrangler effect tends to happen above 65mph and wind can make it worse, so it's just dangerous. Off road, this isn't even a thing when your Wrangler is crawling or just cruising at 25mph or less.

Anyway, I do appreciate your perspective as a JK owner and it is worth taking note as a comparison. IFS will always feel better during highway driving and is more composed, but the off road compromises are a trade off as you're well aware.
I’m not bashing you, but have you driven a Wrangler JL? A lot of people think they know how a Jeep rides, but if you are comparing a Jeep to a Bronco you should probably test drive both. I get your point about older Jeep’s , but you could also say that my old 94 Bronco.
Sponsored