Sponsored

Adaptive cruise control - standalone option?

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it is foolish that Ford doesn't make the whole CoPilot 360 suite standard on their lineup.

Blind Spot Information System, Lane Keeping Assist, Emergency Braking, auto high beams, and Adaptive Cruise shouldn't be restricted to higher trim vehicles. Other companies are starting to make these things standard. So should Ford.

Ford doesn't add airbags to the Escape Titanium. I view most of these safety aids as similar. Most of these features will keep people from having to use airbags. The technology is becoming cheaper and ubiquitous. There is no reason not to make it standard.

My parents base CRV has adaptive cruise and lane keeping for goodness sake.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pony2bronco

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I mean I'll bite the bullet if I can just get a package or 2, but an extra $30,000 from base for an option that's standard on base for a lot of companies is just nuts. Still getting my Bronco, but I always assumed I'd get that when I finally got a new car after 2020.

I gotta say though, they will be missing a lot of $$ from people willing to get an upgrade for it if they don't option it outside Lux.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm very happy that a system which utilizes a complex sensor array that costs about $5,000-7,000 to replace in the event of an accident is not standard equipment. ESPECIALLY for a vehicle that is designed for equal use off-roading and has drastically higher odds of breaking in an impact.

A friend had a 5mph fender bender and broke that sensor in his Jeep Grand Cherokee and MSRP was $6,500 for parts and re-calibration.

No thank you, I can just pay attention in traffic and to how i'm operating machinery on public roadways. But then again, I also feel that automatic transmissions have enabled mindlesness behind the wheel, contributing to traffic congestion.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd love to see it ala carte, but that ain't gonna happen. Not if Ford stays even remotely true to their option packaging game.
I'd love to see the upgraded or HID headlights ala carted also. On the F250's you have to have a Lariat with Ultimate package minimum. In my opinion, it is a safety thing because their standard headlights SUCK!

This thread is the first I have ever read any bad remarks on adaptive cruise...surprised...kind of.
I can definitely see the benefit, but much like my rant about anti-lock brakes awhile back, I suppose poor implementation would change ones opinion about it.
I've never had the opportunity to use it though.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm very happy that a system which utilizes a complex sensor array that costs about $5,000-7,000 to replace in the event of an accident is not standard equipment. ESPECIALLY for a vehicle that is designed for equal use off-roading and has drastically higher odds of breaking in an impact.

A friend had a 5mph fender bender and broke that sensor in his Jeep Grand Cherokee and MSRP was $6,500 for parts and re-calibration.

No thank you, I can just pay attention in traffic and to how i'm operating machinery on public roadways. But then again, I also feel that automatic transmissions have enabled mindlesness behind the wheel, contributing to traffic congestion.
Damn, if that is all legit, you make some solid points.
I've heard rumor of the LED taillights on one model costing $1000 to replace because a sensor is part of the unit....Ford, but I forget which model they were discussing.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Damn, if that is all legit, you make some solid points.
I've heard rumor of the LED taillights on one model costing $1000 to replace because a sensor is part of the unit....Ford, but I forget which model they were discussing.
That was the LED vs. bulb taillight thread. I shared that a single BLIS-equipped taillight for a 2019-20 Ranger is $1,600 MSRP.....

All these tech gadgets to reduce awareness are cool because they don't take a second off, but after a person is comfortable yielding control to technology, they tend to over-rely upon that technology.

I don't want a sensor mounted just above a bash plate to be $6,000 or more.... And i'd be realllllllly pissed off to spend $5K on the package that gave me the sensor, then break it and have to drop another $6K to replace it. There are a LOT of off-road mods you can do for $11K. Or send one of your children to an out-of-state college so your weekends free up to go out and have hobbies again.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was the LED vs. bulb taillight thread. I shared that a single BLIS-equipped taillight for a 2019-20 Ranger is $1,600 MSRP.....

All these tech gadgets to reduce awareness are cool because they don't take a second off, but after a person is comfortable yielding control to technology, they tend to over-rely upon that technology.

I don't want a sensor mounted just above a bash plate to be $6,000 or more.... And i'd be realllllllly pissed off to spend $5K on the package that gave me the sensor, then break it and have to drop another $6K to replace it. There are a LOT of off-road mods you can do for $11K. Or send one of your children to an out-of-state college so your weekends free up to go out and have hobbies again.
You keep sharing, seriously, I appreciate these posts.
I don't think I would have looked at repair costs as being much of an issue.... that would have sucked.
...and if somebody thinks they can keep ringing that insurance bell and have them pick up the tab, think again. Eventually they bump you to high risk and EVERY insurance company will see dollar signs in you at that point. All over something like tail lights or sensors.....

This brings to mind Subaru's windshield replacement issues with their Eyesight system, BIG $$$ to recalibrate the system if the windshield has to be replaced.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You keep sharing, seriously, I appreciate these posts.
I don't think I would have looked at repair costs as being much of an issue....

This brings to mind Subaru's windshield replacement issues with their Eyesight system, BIG $$$ to recalibrate the system if the windshield has to be replaced.
Please note that I do NOT know what the current MSRP of a Ford "sensing suite" or whatever they call that sensor is. I know what it was for the JEEP a few years back, and the company car is a 2019 Mazda 6 which they said was in the $5K range. Will reach out to a buddy who is the service manager at a Toyota dealership to ask what those sensors run.

**UPDATE**
Buddy at Toyota said that the front sensor housing of 2020 Toyotas usually holds a few things in one package: the radar cruise sensor ($500) (These used to be thousands of dollars just a few years ago), distance sensor ($150), pigtails ($75 ea), the housing and clips will be another ~$200 plus $250 for calibration. They de-bundled them recently as it used to be if one sensor failed, you had to replace them all. I'm assuming if you bash your truck into a rock, you'll break them all.

I've found Toyota sensors for 2018 model years to be about $1,800 (used) replacement costs and 2018 model year VW's are about $2,600 to replace their sensor.

Last edited:

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really really like adaptive cruise. I use it all the time in CA traffic on freeways, makes it bearable.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean I'll bite the bullet if I can just get a package or 2, but an extra $30,000 from base for an option that's standard on base for a lot of companies is just nuts. Still getting my Bronco, but I always assumed I'd get that when I finally got a new car after 2020.
How patient are you? All tech seems to infiltrate down pretty quickly. Given where other manufacturers already are and the trend in adaptive over the past few years, I’d bet a one to two year wait would net you the tech at a reasonable price.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pony2bronco

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How patient are you? All tech seems to infiltrate down pretty quickly. Given where other manufacturers already are and the trend in adaptive over the past few years, I’d bet a one to two year wait would net you the tech at a reasonable price.
Well, I did reserve towards the end of July(26)... if that ends up meaning that I wouldn't take delivery until 2022 anyway I don't see a reason to stick to a 2021 model.

GOAT

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please note that I do NOT know what the current MSRP of a Ford "sensing suite" or whatever they call that sensor is. I know what it was for the JEEP a few years back, and the company car is a 2019 Mazda 6 which they said was in the $5K range. Will reach out to a buddy who is the service manager at a Toyota dealership to ask what those sensors run.

**UPDATE**
Buddy at Toyota said that the front sensor housing of 2020 Toyotas usually holds a few things in one package: the radar cruise sensor ($500) (These used to be thousands of dollars just a few years ago), distance sensor ($150), pigtails ($75 ea), the housing and clips will be another ~$200 plus $250 for calibration. They de-bundled them recently as it used to be if one sensor failed, you had to replace them all. I'm assuming if you bash your truck into a rock, you'll break them all.

I've found Toyota sensors for 2018 model years to be about $1,800 (used) replacement costs and 2018 model year VW's are about $2,600 to replace their sensor.
That's good to hear that the price of the parts and technology is coming down. I had a huge rock go through the grille of my Audi Q7 and it ended up costing $12,000 to repair.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That's good to hear that the price of the parts and technology is coming down. I had a huge rock go through the grille of my Audi Q7 and it ended up costing $12,000 to repair.
The question is if these technologies are going anywhere. Tesla's tech is not nearly as developed as it's advertised to be (long story, but after some presentations and lectures from MIT professors , i'm very convinced that Tesla's direction and tech is decades away from credibility and safety. Girlfriend is an MIT alum and we get to attend his lectures and follow his work. Some of their work HERE, without any technical data)

Then there is where these technologies are at present day by manufacturers, which is not confidence inspiring.

Are Modern Driving Assistance Features Unreliable? AAA Researchers Say Yes

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The question is if these technologies are going anywhere. Tesla's tech is not nearly as developed as it's advertised to be (long story, but after some presentations and lectures from MIT professors , i'm very convinced that Tesla's direction and tech is decades away from credibility and safety. Girlfriend is an MIT alum and we get to attend his lectures and follow his work. Some of their work HERE, without any technical data)

Then there is where these technologies are at present day by manufacturers, which is not confidence inspiring.

Are Modern Driving Assistance Features Unreliable? AAA Researchers Say Yes
That's not really "the question" with adaptive cruise...and they don't really mention adaptive cruise in the aricle. All cars being sold will have adaptive cruise very soon...so yes, it is going somewhere. Lane keep assist and other featues like emergency braking are what that article addresses, and those are definitely spotty. Adaptive cruise, when well executed, is not at all.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I miss Adaptive but never had it. I just live on Cruise and hate having to keep putting back on just because the a-hole in front of me can't keep a steady speed. Just looking for freeway use.. not self driving.
Sponsored