Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice digital tach in 2018 Mustang GT

Ford Bronco Adding a tachometer BECDC56D-2F72-4917-880E-930267ECA351

they (Ford) know how to make them.

my guess is the Raptor will have this type of tach, although I like the old school GT350 style gauges much better than digital.
Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
my experience... the tach in general quickly loses it meaning. within a few weeks you know the shift points based on speed, if not just the sound and feel.

certainly not glancing down at a tach all the time to figure out if you need to shift IME.

Thats on sporty cars, not sure if a modern SUV would feel more disconnected and make that difficult. but then again, I got a 2.7auto... so not an issue for me.
That may be your experience but every race vehicle I've ever seen, and the one on my motorcycle I use on tracks and on twisties is extremely important. It flashes incredibly obnoxiously because even a pro wants to know when an engine is at a particular RPM, and you can guess, but... So Bronco is no sports machine, but I will use my "triptronic" (vernacular term) when climbing a hill, as an example, and i want to control what gear I'm in, or more often, when traveling down a steeper roadway where I don't want to ride my brakes constantly. That's really good tach info for sure. And I'm in a 2.7 auto too so...

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That may be your experience but every race vehicle I've ever seen, and the one on my motorcycle I use on tracks and on twisties is extremely important. It flashes incredibly obnoxiously because even a pro wants to know when an engine is at a particular RPM, and you can guess, but... So Bronco is no sports machine, but I will use my "triptronic" (vernacular term) when climbing a hill, as an example, and i want to control what gear I'm in, or more often, when traveling down a steeper roadway where I don't want to ride my brakes constantly. That's really good tach info for sure. And I'm in a 2.7 auto too so...
if your racing, and paying attention to traffic and turns, I guess a shift light is helpful...
but 99% of bronco use doesnt even get out of crawler gear.

on the streets, sure, if you find a minivan you think you can beat with a 2.3L :eek:

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
if your racing, and paying attention to traffic and turns, I guess a shift light is helpful...
but 99% of bronco use doesnt even get out of crawler gear.

on the streets, sure, if you find a minivan you think you can beat with a 2.3L :eek:
I will say it again to be even more clear. When driving a Bronco down a winding hill, say on your way camping, you may want to put your Bronco in manual mode so you do not ride your brakes all the way down a 15 mile twisty hill. It is VERY nice to know your engine speed in a clear and concisely displayed manner to manually select your gear. Example number two, and if you still can't see my point, I'm afraid we are finished with this conversation, but while towing a trailer on, lets say again for a holiday or excursion, you may want to monitor things like, gear selection, engine speed, engine temp etc.

Sponsored

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will say it again to be even more clear. When driving a Bronco down a winding hill, say on your way camping, you may want to put your Bronco in manual mode so you do not ride your brakes all the way down a 15 mile twisty hill. It is VERY nice to know your engine speed in a clear and concisely displayed manner to manually select your gear. Example number two, and if you still can't see my point, I'm afraid we are finished with this conversation, but while towing a trailer on, lets say again for a holiday or excursion, you may want to monitor things like, gear selection, engine speed, engine temp etc.
well I dont care to argue it with you, but you've done a 180 from race cars and motorcycles to engine braking and towing.

I never realize a shift light was a big deal for towing, but I havent towed much.

Hippydrome

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender NAS D90, 1995
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
my experience... the tach in general quickly loses it meaning. within a few weeks you know the shift points based on speed, if not just the sound and feel.

certainly not glancing down at a tach all the time to figure out if you need to shift IME.

Thats on sporty cars, not sure if a modern SUV would feel more disconnected and make that difficult. but then again, I got a 2.7auto... so not an issue for me.
For me driving a stick my whole life I looked at the RPM gauge all the time. Told me a lot about my engine sound. I also like it for going down steep grades in the back country where I would not try to use my brakes, just my gears. My engine would sound like it wanted to jump out the hood some times, with a quick glance at my RPM's, I knew when I needed to tap the breaks or good to go in that gear. Will take some time for me to trust an auto tranie to shift for me at the right time going down hill.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
well I dont care to argue it with you, but you've done a 180 from race cars and motorcycles to engine braking and towing.

I never realize a shift light was a big deal for towing, but I havent towed much.
Read my earlier post again. I say it's not a sports machine nor do I mention I want a flashing light. I clearly made a distinction between the two. What is important to this discussion is that we want a better tachometer reading. If that doesn't interest you or if using one precludes you from your optimal driving experience, then you have nothing to add to this conversation except being contrarian.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Read my earlier post again. I say it's not a sports machine nor do I mention I want a flashing light. I clearly made a distinction between the two. What is important to this discussion is that we want a better tachometer reading. If that doesn't interest you or if using one precludes you from your optimal driving experience, then you have nothing to add to this conversation except being contrarian.
since the thread speaks of replacing the screen and its myriad of functions with a tach to help you tow with your bronco...

yes, it does preclude me from my optimal driving experience.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone added a real tachometer to their Bronco?
Thanks for asking this question. I have had the same one and thought about creating a thread just like this. I was hoping that we would see a Bronco at SEMA with a tachometer but I guess a tach doesn't attract interest.

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
We've clearly seen that @Ford Motor Company , they didn't task MT Design Items to ANYONE who actually drove MT's. This is why the MT was designed where it could only mate to one engine vs. having a bolt on bellhousing and why we don't have a tachometer that's suitable to those of us who have driven MT's for years. Not to mention.... (but I will) they even didn't give the MT Broncos a Manual Hand Brake!!!!!!! Such simple things...... SMH...... simple .... simple... things.....

Come On @Ford Motor Company, you know that you F'ed up this part of the design, now fix it!
I have drove MT for years, I have never, not even when I was learning to drive, watched the Tach. My dad thought me how to change gears just using the sound of the engine.

Seriously, who watch the tach to change gears?

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
That instrument panel is about the only thing (outside of the rear floor vents) that I truly dislike about the interior and the overall truck for that matter. Either go full analog (with maybe a small digital screen in the middle) or go full digital. Really curious if they wanted to go full digital but the pandemic and chip shortages somehow made that impossible to accomplish. Mind you I'm not an engineer so I may be talking out of my a$$ here and this is just a case of poor design.
This is why the instrument panel was designed that way

Ford Bronco Adding a tachometer B0017C86-5932-42E3-9BED-79BF65280456

To remembrance the first generation Bronco.

fr8ycat

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150 FX4, 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd take something similar to this over the current offering all day long, I like analog gauges. The rest can be thrown on the NAV screen. The current instrument cluster is one of the most disappointing things with this Bronco for me....other than not having one in my driveway.

Ford Bronco Adding a tachometer 1637211761989

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have drove MT for years, I have never, not even when I was learning to drive, watched the Tach. My dad thought me how to change gears just using the sound of the engine.

Your dad, god bless him, probably taught you how to use a rotary or push button phone too. Neither of which are important today, like if you are a motor enthusiast in a modern vehicle, especially a specialized one like a 4X4 wheeler. Engines have changed a lot since you learned to drive. Knowledge is power.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I never said it was needed so that someone could Watch the tach All of the Time.
A Tach can be extremely useful to "some people". Back in the day for optimal performance shifting and before Shift Lights, tach were Clocked (rotated) so that when the needle was pointing straight up, you'd shift.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that the current 2.3L is Much Quieter that whatever you were taught on.

Lastly.... I'm (I'll also bet that you're in the same situation) not as young as I once was and my hearing isn't as good either, so any assistance from a IMHO "Proper Tach" would be Appreciated even if it wasn't needed.

@Ford Motor Company IMHO should let the end user select from a few different display options. This way those who have AT can minimize or not even display the tach and an one who wants a tach that looks different that what's currently offered, can.
Sponsored