Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just drove my 5speed 2004 Jeep to work.
Not once did I look at the Tachometer or Speedometer.

I can feel when I need to upshift and I drive with the flow of traffic as to not impede or be the lone guy speeding along for the police to single out.
Sponsored

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you need a tack to know when to shift, you need an automatic and call it a day.
You must not do much enthusiast driving. When I do, I like to shift at peak HP rpm, not redline. Can your backside tell the difference between 6800 and 7000 rpm? If so, you have a highly calibrated tookus! 😁

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some of like to actually look where we are going when we drive,
vs the tacometer

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Some of like to actually look where we are going when we drive,
vs the tacometer
Yet most modern manual cars have built-in rev limiters...

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
You must not do much enthusiast driving. When I do, I like to shift at peak HP rpm, not redline. Can your backside tell the difference between 6800 and 7000 rpm? If so, you have a highly calibrated tookus! 😁
You are right also when you are working an engine pulling a trailer up a long incline (mountain) you need the information easy to read. If I was driving access Texas (900+miles) I would glance at the gauges periodically but if I was pulling Bumble Bee in Arizona I would closely monitor my turbo temp, turbo boost, oil temperature and tachometer to keep it in the safe range to not damage anything.
I'm waiting for my 2.3 manual in a base 2 door bronco.

JBBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The lack of a proper tach and bar style center oriented handbrake just shows that the manual transmission was an afterthought. That being said I ordered the manual anyway because I do not like automatics at all.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've owned and driven quite a few without a tach (look at my profile pic), but in a car/truck, I prefer to have a tach, and a proper analog tach at that. A lot of the reviews I've been seeing (C&D, etc.) have been panning the Bronco's digital tach. Kudos to Ford for offering a manual, but if you do, at least equip it with a proper tachometer!
I'm with you. I don't need glorious entertaining G.O.A.T. mode graphics. Heck, with a manual, I barely need G.O.A.T. modes at all except for the throttle and traction control settings. I much prefer peripheral vision analog gauges so I can monitor what is going on.

(I think there is a dash screen setting with temp and battery analog gauge graphics. I need to go back to the dealer and flip through the options.)
I am concerned with the oil temperature in the oil pan. That is what "cleans,cools and lubricants" (I learned that in jet engine school USAF) the turbo bearing.
And we need a pyrometer.
Exhaust temperature is important.
When I replaced my A model with the new B model CAT said with the 3406 B you could run the turbo (pyrometer) up to 1400 degrees.
Could not do it on the A model. 1200 degrees was max. I was running thru Saint George in the summer and the turbo came apart taking out 2 of my 6 cylinders.
CAT warranty covered it but I took the mufflers off dropped the pyrometer to 900 degrees for any mountain I pulled ever again.
I would not want to relive the past again.
We should learn from the past.
I know that I am a little (alot) long winded but maybe somebody at Ford can see proper gauges can save them warranty money.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
i remember back in the day, a tachometer was not a standard dashboard accessory. when i learned to drive you did not look at a tachometer. you can feel when it was time to shift gears. this is part of learning to drive a manual transmission. a tach is not a shift light. a tach is just a little bit of jewelry, not a necessity..
You probably started driving a vw bug (peoples car) with the lines marked on the speedometer was to tell you when to shift or you just wound it up till it wouldn't go anymore (old time limiter).
I think the 2.3 manual transmission turbo is a little more delicate than the throw away air cooled "peoples engine ".

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You probably started driving a vw bug (peoples car) with the lines marked on the speedometer was to tell you when to shift or you just wound it up till it wouldn't go anymore (old time limiter).
I think the 2.3 manual transmission turbo is a little more delicate than the throw away air cooled "peoples engine ".
actually the first car i owned with a manual transmission was a mercury capri rs turbo. i actually had an original 2.3L turbo engine. as far as the delicate nature of a modern 2.3L turbo engine, the electronic control module keeps you from blowing it. a modern turbo is a quite robust engine, with computer controls to keep you from destroying it. as far as my experience with horizonally opposed engines produced in germany, mine have all been of the water cooled six cylinder variants. you do not need a tach to drive a modern manual transmission car. if your experience is as a overland truck driver, you should be aware of that, as far as fine tuning fuel consumption on the open road, the onboard computer will let you know. look on my profile right now i am driving a turbocharged manual transmission vehicle. the below pictures are current or recent owned cars i owned cars with manual transmissions. i have spent a fair amount of time bouncing off the rev limiter of each of them. your characterization of the current 2.3L engine being more delicate than the old VW engine is just plain foolish. those were not notoriously robust, they were just choked down to the point where they were incapable of reaching the point of destruction (under carbureted).

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00741 (1).JPG

017.JPG

Sponsored

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
actually the first car i owned with a manual transmission was a mercury capri rs turbo. i actually had an original 2.3L turbo engine. as far as the delicate nature of a modern 2.3L turbo engine, the electronic control module keeps you from blowing it. a modern turbo is a quite robust engine, with computer controls to keep you from destroying it. as far as my experience with horizonally opposed engines produced in germany, mine have all been of the water cooled six cylinder variants. you do not need a tach to drive a modern manual transmission car. if your experience is as a overland truck driver, you should be aware of that, as far as fine tuning fuel consumption on the open road, the onboard computer will let you know. look on my profile right now i am driving a turbocharged manual transmission vehicle. the below pictures are current or recent owned cars i owned cars with manual transmissions. i have spent a fair amount of time bouncing off the rev limiter of each of them. your characterization of the current 2.3L engine being more delicate than the old VW engine is just plain foolish. those were not notoriously robust, they were just choked down to the point where they were incapable of reaching the point of destruction (under carbureted).

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00741 (1).JPG

017.JPG

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very cute cars.
I am actually a guy named Sue.
Thanks for your thoughts!

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

if you hate the tachometer on this model, fear not. chances are the vast majority of us will NOT be the owners of a 2021 bronco. maybe they will change the tach layout on the 2022 or 2023 models which we might be owners of... also, this is a program on a screen. all it will take is writing some new code to completely change the the appearance of the tach. but wth, most of us never will sit behind the wheel of a 2021 bronco. and if the tach really is a problem for you, JEEP has analog gauges...

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
if you hate the tachometer on this model, fear not. chances are the vast majority of us will NOT be the owners of a 2021 bronco. maybe they will change the tach layout on the 2022 or 2023 models which we might be owners of... also, this is a program on a screen. all it will take is writing some new code to completely change the the appearance of the tach. but wth, most of us never will sit behind the wheel of a 2021 bronco. and if the tach really is a problem for you, JEEP has analog gauges...
Thank you guys whoever you are.
I ordered a 2021 2 door and I was informed that it has to be a 2022 because of the roof.
I wasn't happy about that but now if ford does the guage update I could not be happier and that is not easily done with an old man like me. Thank you FORD!
Another thing because I am an old guy I do have a Grand Marquis and probably will be buried with it unless my wife out lives me.
Thanks again FORD.
Sponsored