Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has any current MT owners check to see if the dash display allows for the owner to switch how things are displayed? If so, there "might" be a traditional tach available. If that's not a feature, FoMoCo needs to offer it.
I tried this, but I can’t find any way to change the layout. All you can change is what info is displayed on the right. Also, there does not seem to be any way to even display oil pressure, which is a huge oversight. Jeep’s presentation of info is 4 million times better. If the stupid analogue speedometer was a tach, it would be much better.
I couldn't find any way to change the display when I had the weekend demo. I am hoping this can be offered as an over-the-air update.
Sponsored

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldn't find any way to change the display when I had the weekend demo. I am hoping this can be offered as an over-the-air update.
It could be, but I doubt Ford will be so avant-garde. The aftermarket will probably come through. You can buy brand new digital panels for fox Mustangs that look exactly like the originals, but have significantly updated electronics and lighting. Now taking the dash apart to install will be a pita, but…

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

By the way my favorite transmission is the 18 speed eaton fuller that I been buying since 1988. It's a manual transmission. 300rpm between shifts.
I run the same thing every day. I live 1500-1800 all day long lol.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is not accurate....You've never heard of a 'money shift'? A money shift is when you accidently shift down into a lower gear and the engine is forced into an over rev situation by the gearing. Porsche actually tracks red line events in 6 different 'ranges' based on how far over the red line you force the engine. These events are permanently recorded and you can pull the data from the ECM if you are looking at a used car. Now their PDK (dual clutch automatic) will prevent you from down shifting if you are going to over rev the engine, but not the manuals.
True but his comment was based on the clutch being engaged and the ECU limiting the engine revs. You can't exceed maximum RPM just by pressing the throttle and letting the engine speed increase. Yes you can do a money shift in a modern computer controlled car/truck or in an old one. Nothing other than what God gave you for ability will prevent that.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am kinda hoping someone will come up with a gauge swap on the analogue speedometer to a tach, especially since the speed is displayed in the middle and cannot be removed as I understand it.

Sponsored

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am kinda hoping someone will come up with a gauge swap on the analogue speedometer to a tach, especially since the speed is displayed in the middle and cannot be removed as I understand it.
Baby Bronco dash looks great.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is not accurate....You've never heard of a 'money shift'? A money shift is when you accidently shift down into a lower gear and the engine is forced into an over rev situation by the gearing. Porsche actually tracks red line events in 6 different 'ranges' based on how far over the red line you force the engine. These events are permanently recorded and you can pull the data from the ECM if you are looking at a used car. Now their PDK (dual clutch automatic) will prevent you from down shifting if you are going to over rev the engine, but not the manuals.
really, and a tachometer will stop you from missing a shift and forcing your car into over rev? nothing will save you from stupid,,, don't be stupid, and generally the synchronizers will make shifting into the over speeding gear much more difficult, so the tachometer is not fixing you forcing the car into a situation it wasn't supposed to be in.... a condition which is avoidable by technical proficiency... the ECU will prevent over revs with the accelerator... it can be over revved by reprogramming the ECU too, but really this is not the discussion.. it might be overrevved if you were to try using engine braking going downhill at over a 45% downward angle too, but you can't fix stupid... don't be stupid...

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
True but his comment was based on the clutch being engaged and the ECU limiting the engine revs. You can't exceed maximum RPM just by pressing the throttle and letting the engine speed increase. Yes you can do a money shift in a modern computer controlled car/truck or in an old one. Nothing other than what God gave you for ability will prevent that.
really, and a tachometer will stop you from missing a shift and forcing your car into over rev? nothing will save you from stupid,,, don't be stupid, and generally the synchronizers will make shifting into the over speeding gear much more difficult, so the tachometer is not fixing you forcing the car into a situation it wasn't supposed to be in.... a condition which is avoidable by technical proficiency... the ECU will prevent over revs with the accelerator... it can be over revved by reprogramming the ECU too, but really this is not the discussion.. it might be overrevved if you were to try using engine braking going downhill at over a 45% downward angle too, but you can't fix stupid... don't be stupid...
Yes and no...If you are used to driving with visually looking at a tachometer it will help you prevent a bad downshift. Two examples are on a racetrack and using the engine as a brake going downhill. I do agree it will not help you if you miss a shift going down 2 gears (switching to 2nd instead of 4th at highway speeds for example). The point of this thread is the OP thinks the RPM gauge is a bad design. What a certain percent of the respondents to this thread are saying is tachometers are useless/never used while others are saying that we utilize them and this is a bad design. To Ford's credit at least they are offering a manual.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Concerns about Tachometer on Manual Screenshot_20210810-125456_Gallery
Why not go back to a 60 willys pickup design so that the passenger can enjoy the gauges. The truck wasn't fast enough for the passenger to complain about the speed when I owned it.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
The bar tach sucks, plain and simple, and whether you need it or not, Ford needs to program a better “analog” tach view for the dash.
We need a proper analog tachometer, pyrometer and an engine oil temperature gage. At least they have a boost gage.
With the proper instruments they give the owners the tools not to unknowingly abuse their Bronco.
It might save them money for the customer that wants to keep their Bronco running without relying on warranties.
The old big block is like shoveling coal into a heating system.
Now we need to monitor everything like a high efficiency Lokinvar hydronic heating system.
Using minimal fuel for maximum hp.
Manual transmission need the operator to make decisions on information available now.
Maybe that's why manufacturers are making driving idiot proof.
Ford just have your young engineers spend some time with a commercial class8 driver that runs coast to coast.
All seasons east and west/north and south. Then they will get a broader view of what people are looking for.
Yous guys did a great job on the bronco but you need old people's experience and knowledge to fine tune this great product.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

We need a proper analog tachometer, pyrometer and an engine oil temperature gage. At least they have a boost gage.
With the proper instruments they give the owners the tools not to unknowingly abuse their Bronco.
It might save them money for the customer that wants to keep their Bronco running without relying on warranties.
The old big block is like shoveling coal into a heating system.
Now we need to monitor everything like a high efficiency Lokinvar hydronic heating system.
Using minimal fuel for maximum hp.
Manual transmission need the operator to make decisions on information available now.
Maybe that's why manufacturers are making driving idiot proof.
Ford just have your young engineers spend some time with a commercial class8 driver that runs coast to coast.
All seasons east and west/north and south. Then they will get a broader view of what people are looking for.
Yous guys did a great job on the bronco but you need old people's experience and knowledge to fine tune this great product.
I'm with you. I don't need glorious entertaining G.O.A.T. mode graphics. Heck, with a manual, I barely need G.O.A.T. modes at all except for the throttle and traction control settings. I much prefer peripheral vision analog gauges so I can monitor what is going on.

(I think there is a dash screen setting with temp and battery analog gauge graphics. I need to go back to the dealer and flip through the options.)

MacMarauder

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP you are overthinking this (happens to us all) if you want to shift get the manual if not get the auto. The tach might be a little goofy but it will be fine. Like others have posted I've driven a vehicle without a tach, in my case a Kawasaki EX500 I drove in college had a broken tach which I didn't bother fixing. The only downside was when my buddy made me knock off a hundred bucks on the price when I sold it to him.

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What a certain percent of the respondents to this thread are saying is tachometers are useless/never used while others are saying that we utilize them and this is a bad design. To Ford's credit at least they are offering a manual.
I've owned and driven quite a few without a tach (look at my profile pic), but in a car/truck, I prefer to have a tach, and a proper analog tach at that. A lot of the reviews I've been seeing (C&D, etc.) have been panning the Bronco's digital tach. Kudos to Ford for offering a manual, but if you do, at least equip it with a proper tachometer!

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The analog speedometer is one of my biggest pet peeves with the design.

//rant on

Just why? Why have 2 speedometers? Is it to remind people of their speed blazing through the school zone at 50mph? Just so they can ignore that one as well?

The digital readout can't be changed and is prominently features right in the center, so why not just give us a "traditional" tach on the left. I really want to hear the logic behind the decision for the 2 speedos. Or maybe I don't so my view of mankind doesn't sink lower.

//rant off

David Young

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F150. 2011 Mustang. 2014 Edge Limited
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you need a tack to know when to shift, you need an automatic and call it a day.
Sponsored