GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
Except for when you first get a (new) car, the tach doesn’t matter that much. You get to know when it’s time to shift as you drive it. So, whether it’s a swinging needle or a stack of bars, it will probably get the job done while you need it and fade away when you don’t.
If you are pulling a trailer up a hill like Donna's Pass the important guages are the tachometer, turbo boost, oil temperature and pyrometer (turbo temperature on the hot side) also the pyrometer is important when cooling the turbo after working it hard.
I know this is very important for the work that the 2.3 has to do for long pulling.
Does anyone out there understand what I am saying?
Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at your tach to shift is dangerous.

I always listen to the engine and as it gets louder and louder, I pick the loudness I want to shift at.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking at your tach to shift is dangerous.

I always listen to the engine and as it gets louder and louder, I pick the loudness I want to shift at.
Ford Bronco Concerns about Tachometer on Manual 1628558280453
As a truck driver for almost 20 years, this is the first time I’ve heard someone say shifting by the tach is dangerous. What logic or reasoning do you have for it? Winding out the engine is not the ideal way to shift. Know where your power band is, know when you stop making torque or hp and shift to the next, otherwise you’re doing nothing but “sounding cool”. My work truck, the ideal power band is 1500-1800 rpm. Anything over that is doing nothing but winding out the engine, you’re not building more horsepower or torque. I’m sure with practice I (and everyone else getting a manual) will learn the power band, which knowing the rpms by watching the tach absolutely helps that process.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are pulling a trailer up a hill like Donna's Pass the important guages are the tachometer, turbo boost, oil temperature and pyrometer (turbo temperature on the hot side) also the pyrometer is important when cooling the turbo after working it hard.
I know this is very important for the work that the 2.3 has to do for long pulling.
Does anyone out there understand what I am saying?
I think I might understand that, just a little bit. 🤔

Sponsored

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think I might understand that, just a little bit. 🤔
Just like the professional truck driver that posted before me all the information that the gauges I mentioned gets you in the power range with the right gear without overheating the turbo or overheating the oil when working the engine without abusing it and properly cooling down the turbo. Just think 30 below zero pull Mt Sherman in Wyoming stopping at the top to use the rest area shutting the engine off at that temperature you are going to shock the turbo and probably will end up with cracks or warping.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just like the professional truck driver that posted before me all the information that the gauges I mentioned gets you in the power range with the right gear without overheating the turbo or overheating the oil when working the engine without abusing it and properly cooling down the turbo. Just think 30 below zero pull Mt Sherman in Wyoming stopping at the top to use the rest area shutting the engine off at that temperature you are going to shock the turbo and probably will end up with cracks or warping.
I’m the truck driver. 😂 your logic is spot on and sound. I was just being a bit of a smart ass. I get bored easy. 🤣

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
Using a tachometer like this is like when I was timing contractions with my first kid on a digital clock. It should not have to be that difficult.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
Using a tachometer like this is like when I was timing contractions with my first kid on a digital clock. It should not have to be that difficult.
Then you should have been amused with my next post

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So the gauge is in a form factor you’re not used to?

Change is hard for humans, but a different gauge isn’t a useless gauge.

Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Change is hard for humans, but a different gauge isn’t a useless gauge.
It’s not in a Speedo type setup, it’s an up and down bar style tach. Just looks different and it’ll become normal in a short amount of use I’m sure.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

tach is a little odd if its the same as the autos. but I don't think I'll enjoy the electronic parking brake button

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Almost every car (not truck) my family has owned has been a manual. We have three of them in the garage right now. I look at my tach all the time when I'm driving otherwise you'll bang off the rev limiter. Yeah all our cars are sporty cars including a Honda Vtec that absolutely sings as it approaches the red line and the shift lights (a series of lights) become illuminated.

Now when it comes to the Bronco, I never looked at the rpm gauge during the test drive as i agree it is a useless design and the truck isn't made to bang off the red line. The one good thing was nobody knew how to drive the manual including the sales person so I got to take the sales lady along with another customer on my test drive. That being said....I'll be getting the 6 cylinder with the automatic as it'll be our tow vehicle for the boat.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base

Change is hard for humans, but a different gauge isn’t a useless
Race cars set their analoge guages so that the needle are all at the same angle when reading normal and aircraft uses both. It is important not to have to decode what your instrument is telling you.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone having any concerns about the Tachometer preview images and getting the manual? I'm still super divided between the 'fun' of a manual and the benefits of the 2.7 + Auto. It's such a hard decision and I'm grasping at straws as to things of which could sway the balance.

One item I haven't seen much chatter about is the lack of traditional tach on Bronco. The images I've seen of the dash is that there is just this small little vertical bar which shows the tach. I'm not sure I really could work and will likely just have to shift by sound/feel from the looks of it.
i remember back in the day, a tachometer was not a standard dashboard accessory. when i learned to drive you did not look at a tachometer. you can feel when it was time to shift gears. this is part of learning to drive a manual transmission. a tach is not a shift light. a tach is just a little bit of jewelry, not a necessity..
Sponsored