David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone having any concerns about the Tachometer preview images and getting the manual? I'm still super divided between the 'fun' of a manual and the benefits of the 2.7 + Auto. It's such a hard decision and I'm grasping at straws as to things of which could sway the balance.

One item I haven't seen much chatter about is the lack of traditional tach on Bronco. The images I've seen of the dash is that there is just this small little vertical bar which shows the tach. I'm not sure I really could work and will likely just have to shift by sound/feel from the looks of it.
This plus a hose clamp solved the missing tach on my ā€˜67, just saying.

8A99A23A-9CCA-4D71-BF5C-8D116F6F2E79.jpeg
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one good thing was nobody knew how to drive the manual including the sales person so I got to take the sales lady along with another customer on my test drive.
:LOL:

Race cars set their analoge guages so that the needle are all at the same angle when reading normal and aircraft uses both. It is important not to have to decode what your instrument is telling you.
I'm in industrial maintenance and we set our gauges the same way. We want the needles point straight up, so you know at a glance if something is wrong.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
i remember back in the day, a tachometer was not a standard dashboard accessory. when i learned to drive you did not look at a tachometer. you can feel when it was time to shift gears. this is part of learning to drive a manual transmission. a tach is not a shift light. a tach is just a little bit of jewelry, not a necessity..
Not jewelry. When you want to use these small engines that are being use for max hp without destroying them you need proper guages especially with a manual transmission. And a tachometer that looks like a fuel gage sucks.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
:LOL:

I'm in industrial maintenance and we set our gauges the same way. We want the needles point straight up, so you know at a glance if something is wrong.
I guess ford doesn't understand that.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not jewelry. When you want to use these small engines that are being use for max hp without destroying them you need proper guages especially with a manual transmission. And a tachometer that looks like a fuel gage sucks.
the ecu will keep you from over revving the the engine.. most people with experience are not looking at a tach. you can feel when a engine stops pulling. also if you are looking to drag race a bronco, you should be prepared to lose a lot of races. i have been a licensed driver of manual transmissions for over 38 years.. actually driving them tack on another five. if you are so confused by the tachometer, maybe you should stick to the automatic...

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a manual. The tach design is stupid, but still works fine as a gauge. I got used to it in a day.
Agreed. So is the analog speedo way over on the left side when a big digital apeedo is front and center.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
the ecu will keep you from over revving the the engine.. most people with experience are not looking at a tach. you can feel when a engine stops pulling. also if you are looking to drag race a bronco, you should be prepared to lose a lot of races. i have been a licensed driver of manual transmissions for over 38 years.. actually driving them tack on another five. if you are so confused by the tachometer, maybe you should stick to the automatic...
I am a 68 year old commercial class8 driver owner/operator and my gauges save me money so I can operate my engine and drive train efficiently without abusing them.
I think Ford did ok on f150, mustang, baby bronco, ... .
They missed it with the Bronco in my opinion.
Maybe when I get mine I ordered I will be able to get proper aftermarket gauges.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The bar tach sucks, plain and simple, and whether you need it or not, Ford needs to program a better ā€œanalogā€ tach view for the dash.

GeoSue

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 geo tracker
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am a 68 year old commercial class8 driver owner/operator and my gauges save me money so I can operate my engine and drive train efficiently without abusing them.
I think Ford did ok on f150, mustang, baby bronco, ... .
They missed it with the Bronco in my opinion.
Maybe when I get mine I ordered I will be able to get proper aftermarket gauges.
By the way my favorite transmission is the 18 speed eaton fuller that I been buying since 1988. It's a manual transmission. 300rpm between shifts.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bar tach sucks, plain and simple, and whether you need it or not, Ford needs to program a better ā€œanalogā€ tach view for the dash.
Has any current MT owners check to see if the dash display allows for the owner to switch how things are displayed? If so, there "might" be a traditional tach available. If that's not a feature, FoMoCo needs to offer it.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agreed. This is not heavy equipment and does not have an 18-speed transmission. Driving by feel should be natural to folks that have been driving a manual for a few years. I don't like the tach either, but I honestly didn't even notice it during my test drive of a 4cyl BL. The shifting and clutch make for a very intuitive drive of the Bronco...they nailed it. One of the better manual transmission executions in a modern vehicle.

BTW, I drove my 1967 Mercedes with a 20-speed with no tach. Never an issue driving it correctly or taking care of my equipment.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once the 2.3 hits the boost, itā€™s a quick revā€™er. I know I hit the rev limiter a few times on a test drive and not on purpose. It pulls all the way to redline. The only time I checked the tach was on downshifts. I wanted to see the RPMā€™s there.

IMHO, the gear display was a much more useful tool. Shifting is so natural to me that Iā€™ll forget what gear Iā€™m in, especially in traffic.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Agreed. This is not heavy equipment and does not have an 18-speed transmission. Driving by feel should be natural to folks that have been driving a manual for a few years. I don't like the tach either, but I honestly didn't even notice it during my test drive of a 4cyl BL. The shifting and clutch make for a very intuitive drive of the Bronco...they nailed it. One of the better manual transmission executions in a modern vehicle.

BTW, I drove my 1967 Mercedes with a 20-speed with no tach. Never an issue driving it correctly or taking care of my equipment.
I need to go back and flip though screens. The thing I noticed was the speedo was pretty much unreadableā€”I guess it will take some familiarityā€”and the bar tach is so small it doesnā€™t give a good peripheral reference either. All this to make room for GOAT mode selections.

Personally would prefer the analog speedometer be a tach and the bar tach be replaced by a larger speed reading.

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is not accurate....You've never heard of a 'money shift'? A money shift is when you accidently shift down into a lower gear and the engine is forced into an over rev situation by the gearing. Porsche actually tracks red line events in 6 different 'ranges' based on how far over the red line you force the engine. These events are permanently recorded and you can pull the data from the ECM if you are looking at a used car. Now their PDK (dual clutch automatic) will prevent you from down shifting if you are going to over rev the engine, but not the manuals.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has any current MT owners check to see if the dash display allows for the owner to switch how things are displayed? If so, there "might" be a traditional tach available. If that's not a feature, FoMoCo needs to offer it.
I tried this, but I canā€™t find any way to change the layout. All you can change is what info is displayed on the right. Also, there does not seem to be any way to even display oil pressure, which is a huge oversight. Jeepā€™s presentation of info is 4 million times better. If the stupid analogue speedometer was a tach, it would be much better.
Sponsored