Sponsored

Adding, modifying or otherwise changing factory/OEM options, an intro.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think the term you are looking for is “carputer”.
;)

I saw your other posts about not being able to adjust tire diameter in the carputer... and I’m not doubting your sources... but I do have to say it doesn’t pass the “sniff” test for me.

Ford removing this ability for adjustment, particularly in a platform that is equipped with different diameter tires depending on trim, is such an extraordinary change from standard practice across all automakers, it’ll take extraordinary proof before I believe it.
It doesn't make sense to me either! I honestly hoped my post would get replied with someone knowing dealers who will. Seems at a minimum, they could set it to an offered tire size.

The timing seems very close to when the tuner I used on the Mustang switched from the ability to alter tire size, to not being able to.

So I am in agreement that it isn't passing the sniff test, just can't find anyone who has found out different. Hopefully it can simply be done, because I wouldn't mind Base with bigger tires.
Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Used to be you'd switch out a speedometer gear in the tranny to make up for gear/tire changes. Guess that isn't the cool way to do it anymore... I guess I'll need to research tuners to see who's got the goods.

RotorOver

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2021 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm new to Ford myself, so I'm also unfamiliar with what resources are out there, but I'm hoping something similar to E-Sys software for BMW is available. Using a PC and a cable you can use this software to change settings that exist in the common BMW operating software, but may not be turned on for a particular model or is only turned on in Europe, for example. Some very smart people cracked the coding language and for the cost of the cable you can make modifications yourself.

I've attached some coding parameters to give you an idea of what kind of changes you can make.

Also, here is a video of an example of the software to give you an idea of the what is involved. It actually sounds way worse than it is!

Attachments

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm new to Ford myself, so I'm also unfamiliar with what resources are out there, but I'm hoping something similar to E-Sys software for BMW is available. Using a PC and a cable you can use this software to change settings that exist in the common BMW operating software, but may not be turned on for a particular model or is only turned on in Europe, for example. Some very smart people cracked the coding language and for the cost of the cable you can make modifications yourself.

I've attached some coding parameters to give you an idea of what kind of changes you can make.

Also, here is a video of an example of the software to give you an idea of the what is involved. It actually sounds way worse than it is!
Unfortunate name aside:

https://forscan.org/home.html

Sponsored

RotorOver

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It doesn't make sense to me either! I honestly hoped my post would get replied with someone knowing dealers who will. Seems at a minimum, they could set it to an offered tire size.

The timing seems very close to when the tuner I used on the Mustang switched from the ability to alter tire size, to not being able to.

So I am in agreement that it isn't passing the sniff test, just can't find anyone who has found out different. Hopefully it can simply be done, because I wouldn't mind Base with bigger tires.
Just came across this reading the Forscan documentation:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15994

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RotorOver

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep!

There’s some concern because the Bronco is next generation for a lot of the systems, so I’m not sure we fully know yet what abilities will carry over and what needs to be reverse-engineered again.
Makes sense.

Do we know if Ford is sticking with a current engine ECU or changing that out? That could certainly slow aftermarket tune availability if a new ECU needs to be cracked.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes sense.

Do we know if Ford is sticking with a current engine ECU or changing that out? That could certainly slow aftermarket tune availability if a new ECU needs to be cracked.
There were a few articles about it back in Aug before SEMA. Bronco reps were talking about tuning, and being more hesitant to allow aftermarket into the ECU. Seems that it’s a new system and the concern is based on the OTA ability baked in. They’re worried that you could *really* break something if you allow a tune in the field that hasn’t been vetted by Ford, and then the mothership pushes out an OTA update.

Apparently the C8 corvette has one of the next gen ECUs and is totally locked down and encrypted in a way that previous generations weren’t.

Of course hacking the ecu doesn’t require permission from Ford, but their statements could be a sign that it’s locked down / encrypted in new ways.

But all that is around engine tuning. It’s likely that things such as tire diameter, “comfort features”, etc could all still be tweaked. (You not changing the programming as much as you are just changing variables. No threat of screwing things up for an OTA conceivably, and no reason why Ford should go through the trouble/expense of locking those systems down in the programming.)

There’s also the issue of Sync4, which is totally new and my understanding not totally cracked yet... so enabling locked out features like what is possible under Sync3 may still be a bit out.

RotorOver

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There were a few articles about it back in Aug before SEMA. Bronco reps were talking about tuning, and being more hesitant to allow aftermarket into the ECU. Seems that it’s a new system and the concern is based on the OTA ability baked in. They’re worried that you could *really* break something if you allow a tune in the field that hasn’t been vetted by Ford, and then the mothership pushes out an OTA update.

Apparently the C8 corvette has one of the next gen ECUs and is totally locked down and encrypted in a way that previous generations weren’t.

Of course hacking the ecu doesn’t require permission from Ford, but their statements could be a sign that it’s locked down / encrypted in new ways.

But all that is around engine tuning. It’s likely that things such as tire diameter, “comfort features”, etc could all still be tweaked. (You not changing the programming as much as you are just changing variables. No threat of screwing things up for an OTA conceivably, and no reason why Ford should go through the trouble/expense of locking those systems down in the programming.)

There’s also the issue of Sync4, which is totally new and my understanding not totally cracked yet... so enabling locked out features like what is possible under Sync3 may still be a bit out.
Great info, thanks!

I think you're right, could bode poorly for engine tune options or at least limit what's available if more advanced encryption is the trend. Maybe even DoD style anti-tamper?! Hopefully Ford will pull some vendors in to provide some alternatives to OEM tunes.

Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting. I can see right now, whether I can do it or not, I would not personally attempt that. If possible with the new "carputer" (thanks Zack for the official nomenclature), I know some will try and surely succeed. I will not be among them. Will be curious to see how it goes though.

My modding may be be relegated to vinyl stripes, which I am quite adept at (well moderately adept at my wife suggested).

OP
OP
Chrome_Pony

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The L5P Duramax also has next generation encryption preventing the tunability of previous generations. Also new are P2P handshakes between components such as BCM and TCM, preventing modifications or even replacement, unless the proper response from the unit is received or programmed.

It's only going to get more difficult to make such changes as OEMs lock down their various communications bus systems to limit their liability, under the guise of "protecting" the consumer, and the unfortunate side effect of freezing out the aftermarket and modifiers. The right to repair movement is a piece of this larger issue, and supporting it may limit the constraints OEMs are able to place.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford could have really taken the lead by offering a way for the owner to change the tire size through some menus. With all of this connected FordPass crap, they could also have you select the tires you bought via pictures on your 8 or 12 inch screen and automatically put the actual tire diameter in the computer instead of what's on the sidewall too.

Coastal E Tech had their lockpick tools for Sync, but it is unlikely they'll make new versions for the latest Big Brother tech for cars.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread got me reading up on Sync 4... where I thought Sync 3 was basically just infortainment, I guess Sync 4 is full integrated car systems.

The OTA update feature is baked into Sync4, and it can in turn push that update out to all the different vehicle modules.

Hack Sync4 and you’ll have the key to the city... but it also means it’s going to be a very well defended castle wall.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have the manual reprograming will be less important.
With the auto the computer controls the shift points so reprograming is really important.
Sponsored