Sponsored

Advice for using Hill Descent/other options while driving up an down Pikes Peak?

Tacoman

Raptor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Code Orange Braptor, 2022 Black Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Planning a trip to Pikes Peak next week, and trying to remember at Off Roadeo how to use gearing and other options versus braking etc.? Taking our Braptor and want to hear from you guys best options....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hill descent is nice - keep in mind it has a speed limit, maybe 20mph? It will feather the brakes for you, but it isn’t a silver bullet

Staying in lower gear always helps. You don’t want to redline doing it, but it can greatly limit the amount of breaking you need to do. A lot of hills around where I live I’ll keep it in 3rd or 4th - and those aren’t near pikes peak grades.

Downshifting while going down a grade is a bit different. Rather than clutch and gas it’s clutch and brake - it feels odd, but your momentum going downhill will keep the engine from stalling out.

The best advice I can give is do not constantly ride the brake. I see this happen all the time and it absolutely destroys pads and warps rotors. Your rotor has to have a bit of time to cool - if that means pulling over to stop for a bit so be it. It’s better to slow down too much then coast back up (giving the rotor a bit to cool) than to just ride the brake to keep at a steady speed.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have not run pikes peak.... but done a lot of mountains. For anything less than 12 to 15 percent grade I would just use 4 low and use the paddle shift on the side of my auto selector. Never go down in a gear higher than you came up in.

denverbronco2023

Wildtrak
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 A4 Avant (BT, 350whp), '18 Mazda CX9, Bronc
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wouldn't go four low, it's paved. Just use manual gear mode in 3rd maybe 2nd most of the time. They also have tips at the gate and have some stopping points to check your brakes. I've driven it several times in different cars, just use manual mode.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

4WD definitely helps - it’s considerably more drag, but I wouldn’t advise it on dry pavement.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I wouldn't go four low, it's paved. Just use manual gear mode in 3rd maybe 2nd most of the time. They also have tips at the gate and have some stopping points to check your brakes. I've driven it several times in different cars, just use manual mode.
did not realize pikes peak was paved.... Agree... DO NOT USE 4 LOW on a paved road..... (or 4 High)

Why? because it does not allow for differentiation in the transfer case. You MUST have differentiation... either at the transfer case or between the tires and the surface you are driving on or else you will create bind which tears things up.

OP
OP
Tacoman

Tacoman

Raptor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Code Orange Braptor, 2022 Black Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Good advice, but I have never driven these new fangle autos with paddle shifter. I thought out at the Roadeo, they showed us some buttons that we could set a “cruise control” speed where it would only go so fast in increments of 2 mi

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did PP 2x in April with my daughters and grand daughters. Just use M and down shift. You will be fine. The road is not straight down, there are level spots on it in places. The key is not overheating your brakes or you will be put in time out until they cool by the Rangers at the temp testing station. That is, if you can even get to the top. They will close it down due to heavy snow or high winds. Looks like the next storm we are supposed to get snow on is 24th!

Alassise

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As Murfman above stated, just use M and downshift. If you want to drive to the top, make sure you have the appropiate pass, if not you will park on mile marker 21 and they will bus you to the top. It's paved and I will not lie to you, somehow scary for my first attempt during summer. Check their website for additional info, so you don't wast your trip. have fun and enjoy it.

https://coloradosprings.gov/plan-yo...#:~:text=Open year round - weather permitting

Bigave33

Outer Banks
First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I drove up pikes peak this summer. On the way back down, I was in 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time and had no issue with overheating the brakes. I used the manual mode and buttons on the gear shifter.

Sponsored

Bigfx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get a man’s car with a manual!! Jk…Jk keep the gearing low let the revs come up stay in 2/3 with the manual shifting. You will need to use the brakes some just don’t ride on them, done pikes peak in a minivan you will be fine. It’s a beautiful drive.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Our Chrysler Mini Van went to the top by just staying in Drive on the way up and using the brakes on the way down. We did shift from D into 2 every now and then on the longest downhill parts.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Planning a trip to Pikes Peak next week, and trying to remember at Off Roadeo how to use gearing and other options versus braking etc.? Taking our Braptor and want to hear from you guys best options....
i have done pikes peak many times
just use lower gear and keep your brakes cooled off
half way down there will be a booth and person to check ...if their hot you will be asked to pull over for awhile if not you will be on your way ..let the others pass you ...safe not sorry ?!
Sponsored