Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 4runner 5speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry if i didn't see this in another post,

Why does a manual need hill descent control at all? can't you just drop a gear and ride out? what am i missing?
Sponsored

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It locks your speed in so you don't need to bother with any pedals to maintain a constant velocity. If you just put it in gear and you're going downhill odds are, it'll gain momentum and you need to manage it with the brake pedal or shifting so you don't over rev the engine.

(Disclaimer: am not a huge gear head and I've only tried this out once on my Badlands so far, but I think that's the gist of why it's useful 👀🤷🏼‍♀️

OP
OP
Llyr42

Llyr42

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 4runner 5speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It locks your speed in so you don't need to bother with any pedals to maintain a constant velocity. If you just put it in gear and you're going downhill odds are, it'll gain momentum and you need to manage it with the brake pedal or shifting so you don't over rev the engine.

(Disclaimer: am not a huge gear head and I've only tried this out once on my Badlands so far, but I think that's the gist of why it's useful 👀🤷🏼‍♀️
I am not much a gear head, but i've had 5 speeds for most of my cars, more so for my offroad vechiles have been 5 speeds, and i've always just down shifted into low and coasted, Even my my gfs car i down shift when i come down off step hills with her auto.. I just didn't understand the point of the tech when you can do this with your pedals

Reactions: nic

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driving down a hill everyday for work I can tell you that there isn't much engine braking from the 2.3L when gearing down, so crawling low speeds not sure if the engine will do much to slow you down at all.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We've used ours on a few long, steep descents without using the hill descent control feature. We just put it in Crawl gear and let it idle down. Tap the brake or the gas once in a while if needed. Not sure why that requires automation. Here's a pretty good demonstration of it in this video, with my wife driving as we make the steep descent on the back side of Bronco Knoll (scroll to about the 16:00 mark):

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems kind of fluffy to me. I did a bunch of hill climbs and descents yesterday and never thought about testing it. I did get a hill descent fault, along with half dozen others, when I was doing brodies but it all went away. :unsure:

OP
OP
Llyr42

Llyr42

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 4runner 5speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We've used ours on a few long, steep descents without using the hill descent control feature. We just put it in Crawl gear and let it idle down. Tap the brake or the gas once in a while if needed. Not sure why that requires automation. Here's a pretty good demonstration of it in this video, with my wife driving as we make the steep descent on the back side of Bronco Knoll (scroll to about the 16:00 mark):

I love you videos btw, glad to see a base 7speed getting it.. You guys drive it like boss, Really liked your rock garden video with the base...

Side note> that was my thoughts with the crawling gear, why would there need to be another peice of code to do what i can do manual?

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im guessing sure you can drop it into gear and youd have some engine breaking but maybe depending on your gearing, a 4.7 wouldnt slow down as much (?)

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not much a gear head, but i've had 5 speeds for most of my cars, more so for my offroad vechiles have been 5 speeds, and i've always just down shifted into low and coasted, Even my my gfs car i down shift when i come down off step hills with her auto.. I just didn't understand the point of the tech when you can do this with your pedals
In your scenario, the car would speed up on very steep sections of a hill and slow down on flatter sections. If I understand Hill Control correctly, it will also apply brakes or adjust throttle to maintain a speed that you set.

OP
OP
Llyr42

Llyr42

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 4runner 5speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In your scenario, the car would speed up on very steep sections of a hill and slow down on flatter sections. If I understand Hill Control correctly, it will also apply brakes or adjust throttle to maintain a speed that you set.
But this isn't the case for every other 5 speed i've driven I live in east TN and drove the ski resorts of NC ( Beach mtn, sugar mountain, APP State ) all the time in winter, on HWY 421 the snake a 22 mile 421 curvey play ground coming down the back side of the mountain i would just gear down into second or 3rd and not touch my breaks at all...

Does the broncos have zero engines breaking at all?

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Side note> that was my thoughts with the crawling gear, why would there need to be another peice of code to do what i can do manual?
Same reason you have a cruise control when you could just do it manually with the accelerator. Hill Control will keep the speed constant regardless of what obstacles or terrain gets in your way - ie, you don’t need to tap the accelerator or brakes to maintain speed.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am sure the software is already in the computer so adding hill decent control cost nothing.

It is two ways of doing the same thing but why not have both if there is no cost.

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 7spd with 4.7 gears has a lot of engine braking in 4L - 1st gear. if you need even more you can use 4L - crawl gear. Have not tried the hill descent yet, I think it may be more useful in the auto's where you may not actively control the gear you are in, and dont have the torque convertor locked for engine braking.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does the broncos have zero engines breaking at all?
The 2.3 has adequate compression braking. In Crawler gear it will hold the weight of the vehicle back on as steep of an incline as the tires can grip. In higher gears, at reduced highway speeds it also functions well. I'm one of those guys who actually uses downshifting and compression braking as part of my braking during normal driving.

Perhaps the HDC is intended more for highway downhills. While I haven't even messed with Hill Descent Control, I'm guessing it applies the service brakes to hold you back if you're on a long, sustained descent and your chosen speed is in the lower RPM range for whatever gear you're in, since compression braking works better at middle RPMs. Perhaps some people aren't comfortable hearing the engine wind up a bit as it holds the car back. I'm not one of them. I would rather wind the engine up a little bit than ride the service brakes all the way down. I guess that's from my RV and truck driving experience though.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most of the GOAT modes are more presets that anyone can do manually....the only aspect that I saw in the GOAT modes that I wasn't aware of a way of doing manually are the ones that change throttle response and something else I can't recall. During my Off-Rodeo drives I never messed with the GOAT modes, just manually selected what I wanted.

Anyway, it is likely just easier to leave it in there be it automatic or manual and simply call it a feature.
Sponsored