Sponsored

Hidden Feature of the 7MT : Low speed cruise control!

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Low speed cruise control!

Was driving home the other day, most of my commute is on the highway but due to snow and freezing rain the traffic was stop and go. I found out that by leaving it in first gear, the Bronco will happily putter along at a steady 7kph (~4mph)at engine idle speed. No throttle input, no clutch hop. Do the same in second and it’ll sit at 13kph (8mph). No need to accelerate only to have to brake and clutch in.
Even though I was stuck in slow moving traffic for the better part of half an hour, I only touched the brakes a handful of times. Thanks, 4.46 gears!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In pre-pandemic times I used to do this daily in my Ford Focus (yay traffic). If the engine has enough moving inertia at idle it can move the vehicle forward once you engage the clutch without the throttle.

Kind of surprised it works in the Bronco though... very common with compact cars since they are so light, but on larger vehicles usually the inertia can't overcome the weight of the vehicle.

OP
OP
jasonkosi

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In pre-pandemic times I used to do this daily in my Ford Focus (yay traffic). If the engine has enough moving inertia at idle it can move the vehicle forward once you engage the clutch without the throttle.

Kind of surprised it works in the Bronco though... very common with compact cars since they are so light, but on larger vehicles usually the inertia can't overcome the weight of the vehicle.
I think in the Broncos case the low gearing helps to overcome the weight

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Low speed cruise control!

Was driving home the other day, most of my commute is on the highway but due to snow and freezing rain the traffic was stop and go. I found out that by leaving it in first gear, the Bronco will happily putter along at a steady 7kph (~4mph)at engine idle speed. No throttle input, no clutch hop. Do the same in second and it’ll sit at 13kph (8mph). No need to accelerate only to have to brake and clutch in.
Even though I was stuck in slow moving traffic for the better part of half an hour, I only touched the brakes a handful of times. Thanks, 4.46 gears!
I thought all manuals were 4.7 gears?

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think that’s why it’s called Crawler gear.

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve only ever driven manuals my entire life until this Bronco. I was able to do this in all of them.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands