Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Clubs

Sorry, not really understanding what you are saying.

I have no problem with the computer doing. But there is a big difference between it automatically doing and you can disable it or the Bronco not doing it unless you activate it.

I am in favor of having it. But hope that if I turn it off it stays off. Kinda annoying to have to go through a few menus every time I want it off. It is like having a car with a sport mode that once the car goes off, it defaults to economy.

As far as wasting my time, you can say the same about driving manual. I rev match to keep the muscle memory. If you can’t do it flawlessly in a semi-controlled environment at a low speed, you have no business trying it in a stressful scenario involving other cars (HPDE)

Advertisement

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Clubs

Dont really agree with you. Rev matching may be used to help on wear and tear. I hope to get a manual Sasquatch.

Im not sure what you mean by clutch drag as a technique. Rev-match - save for a race car?

Ok I will concede and agree rev-match is a motorsport technique. But not all motorsport techniques are purely based for speed. They can also be used to help prevent wear-and-tear.

The heavy 35s, tall tires, and wheels are a big load on the drivetrain. Rev-matching can help lessen the shock. May not be that important when braking. But you better believe dropping a gear while going uphill while towing- it is very important.

wvmtneer

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Clubs

Dont really agree with you. Rev matching may be used to help on wear and tear. I hope to get a manual Sasquatch.

Im not sure what you mean by clutch drag as a technique. Rev-match - save for a race car?

Ok I will concede and agree rev-match is a motorsport technique. But not all motorsport techniques are purely based for speed. They can also be used to help prevent wear-and-tear.

The heavy 35s, tall tires, and wheels are a big load on the drivetrain. Rev-matching can help lessen the shock. May not be that important when braking. But you better believe dropping a gear while going uphill while towing- it is very important.
I’m curious to see if Ford offers any drivetrain improvements for the 2022 Mansquatch.

Hkak45

First Name
Harold K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 F150
Clubs

So I’m a little confused on this “rev matching”. We are talking about like in a downshift to blip the throttle enough to get to the same RPM that the downshift will bring the engine to, that way when clutch is engaged and disengaged during downshift the engine remains at the same speed right?

Denny Swift

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, Clubman SAll4, 435XI, Husky FE250
Yeah, it is strange that it’s not mentioned anywhere. If it does have rev matching I just hope there is a button to turn it off. I much prefer to do it myself.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
I always rev match downshift And prefer to do it myself. Kind of the point of “manual”. No need to heal toe unless on a track and my Bronco won’t be on a track

wvmtneer

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Clubs

Yeah, it is strange that it’s not mentioned anywhere. If it does have rev matching I just hope there is a button to turn it off. I much prefer to do it myself.
My mustang gt(18) did not have rev match, but i did turn off hill start assist and replaced the clutch spring and perch with Steeda parts to improve the feel.

Thed

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata, '67 F-100, '17 Ducati Supersport
Clubs

Most people that drive manual don’t rev match. It isn’t something you learn unless you’ve gone to a race school. Or actively watch motor sports. Kinda like trail braking.

I have very, very rarely heard rev-matching during my autocross days. Even during HPDE, only about half did it. I can count onone hand the amount of times I have heard a pre rev-match car do it on the streets.
It's literally the only way I drive manuals. Rev-match everywhere with heel-toe downshifts. Everything from my old Isuzu Rodeo, to my Miata, to class eight trucks (where rev-matching is required at all times).

I prefer the old-fashioned way, but if Ford put the feature in I wouldn't get mad as long as it's defeat-able. But there has been absolutely no mention from Ford or anyone else that the manual is going to be anything other than that: manual.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
I guess I have no idea what you guys are talking about... Thanks, now I have to spend an hour diving in to a you tube hole. Only time I have rev matched (I think) is when I tore my left ACL and meniscus in a soccer game. I drove 30 mins home with out using the clutch.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, Clubman SAll4, 435XI, Husky FE250
wvmtneer,

I think the Mustang got it in 2019. It’s perfectly fine if there is an off switch. On my Spyder, it’s default off, which I like. I’ve never used it because I do it myself. I can’t turn it off on my Mini, which is real annoying. It’s nice that you have a hill assist off switch. I can’t turn it off on my Porsche, but I wish I could.

Lakelife36

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
Clubs

Most people that drive manual don’t rev match. It isn’t something you learn unless you’ve gone to a race school. Or actively watch motor sports. Kinda like trail braking.

I have very, very rarely heard rev-matching during my autocross days. Even during HPDE, only about half did it. I can count onone hand the amount of times I have heard a pre rev-match car do it on the streets.
This is one experience only, but I was 20 years into driving stick (pretty much exclusively) before I even heard of it.

Advertisement

Advertisement