Sponsored

Advice Wanted: '22 Badlands with 33" tires, wanting to upgrade tires and suspension. Thoughts?

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Bronco lovers.

Like you, I've been out enjoying the Bronco, scraping skid plates and driving around town and the trails. I've seen enough sasquatch versions of the Bronco around, and although I like my 33'' tire setup, I'm seriously looking at upgrading to 35'' tires (37'' is TEMPTING, but I don't need them.)

I'm looking at the Nitto Grappler Recon 35'' tire setup, but wanted advice from you all on wheels, AND any suspension upgrades that won't break the bank (I've already spent enough this year on an Advanced Fiberglass hardtop LOL.)

Pictures, recommendations/combinations are welcome here. Thanks.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many of us just put 35s straight on without suspension work. If you use wheels in the +15 to +30 range you should have no rubbing issues.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I jumped up to 35 x 10.5 on my +55 non-sas stock wheels without any rubbing issues, just removed the crash bars. If you are going with 12.5" wide tire you should go to a +30 or less offset to avoid rubbing the UCA...seems most go with zero offset.

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I jumped up to 35 x 10.5 on my +55 non-sas stock wheels without any rubbing issues, just removed the crash bars. If you are going with 12.5" wide tire you should go to a +30 or less offset to avoid rubbing the UCA...seems most go with zero offset.
Thanks for the insight! Can you explain the numbers you mentioned (apologies, very new to this).

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the insight! Can you explain the numbers you mentioned (apologies, very new to this).
Sure...the non-sas BL wheels are +55mm offset vs, the Sas +30mm wheel offset...the Sas wheels stick out (poke) 25mm further than the non-sas. The extra 25mm of poke allows for the Sas 12.5" wide tire w/o rubbing the upper control arms. If you wanted to keep the non-sas +55mm wheels you could add a 1" spacer to get the same result as a +30mm offset wheel. Or you could go with a 10.5" wide tire and keep the non-sas +55 wheels without rubbing issues.

Sponsored

irishdore

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco Badlands, '20 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi,

When you buy a tire, they obviously have a tire size that you seem to understand, e.g., 33 inches, 35 inches, 37 inches etc.

The 10.5 or 12.5 numbers in the responses to you are the width of the tire. If the tire is wider, then you may have rubbing... which leads us to...

The offset figures are the +55, +30 or zero offset. What is offset?
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face. This tucks the entire wheel in toward the brakes and vehicle suspension. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars and newer rear-wheel drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange. This moves the wheel out away from the vehicle brakes and suspension. "Deep dish" wheels and wheels for lifted trucks are typically a negative offset.

Those numbers you've been provided are positive offsets of 30mm and 55mm.

Did that help?

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi,

When you buy a tire, they obviously have a tire size that you seem to understand, e.g., 33 inches, 35 inches, 37 inches etc.

The 10.5 or 12.5 numbers in the responses to you are the width of the tire. If the tire is wider, then you may have rubbing... which leads us to...

The offset figures are the +55, +30 or zero offset. What is offset?
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face. This tucks the entire wheel in toward the brakes and vehicle suspension. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars and newer rear-wheel drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange. This moves the wheel out away from the vehicle brakes and suspension. "Deep dish" wheels and wheels for lifted trucks are typically a negative offset.

Those numbers you've been provided are positive offsets of 30mm and 55mm.

Did that help?
That's perfect, thank you for the help!
Sponsored