Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think i'm in agreement with you. One thing that I think has always set the Raptor whether F150 or Bronco is how the adjustable shocks are integrated into the system electronically. Adjusting the shock's performance based on feedback from all the sensors. Yeah you can buy adjustable shocks aftermarket, but you will never be able to integrate them into all they vehicle sensors.
never ever....these computerized shocks have been available in the aftermarket for years especially in the side by sides, now in Jeeps, and soon whatever else you can imagine...even airplanes....

first 2 sec Google look shows these....I'm sure a deeper dive and there is more options... some with systems that integrate with OEM...

the Raptor active shocks are NOT special at all nowadays, more like fairly common

Screenshot_20230707_203410_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
never ever....these computerized shocks have been available in the aftermarket for years especially in the side by sides, now in Jeeps, and soon whatever else you can imagine...even airplanes....

first 2 sec Google look shows these....I'm sure a deeper dive and there is more options... some with systems that integrate with OEM...

the Raptor active shocks are NOT special at all nowadays, more like fairly common
You've got this all wrong... As @ICUGAZN stated.

Your quick 2 second google search didn't get you past the conclusion that all electronic shocks are equal, which is patently false.

The Bronco Raptor system offers both a coarse electronic adjustment for overall damping levels but more importantly, through the travel position sensors and accelerometers, tunes the shocks actively at the millisecond level. Get airborne, the truck knows it is and it will stiffen up for landing. I strongly suspect the system also includes roll bar type stabilization by sensing vehicle roll and adjusting the shocks side by side in pairs. I haven't been able to verify this, but it's not at all out of the question from the hardware nor software perspective. Really these two examples probably only scratch the surface of what the real time system is up to.

On the other hand, the iQS system is effectively just a remote/motor driven damping clicker adjustment wheel, nothing more. It is not real time adjusting and it's not integrated into a vehicles real time sensors and systems.

Yeah, I forgot, this is all just gimmicks and BS and it's put on the Raptor to make it more expensive, less reliable and deliver less performance...

Or we can acknowledge that most of the automotive press, those that know off roading and those that don't, have judged the Raptor to be the most capable factory off roader ever. The Ford suspension and vehicle dynamics engineering teams got to this point by using an active, fully electronic shock system. If they could have done so at less cost, without the electronics, sensors and software, they certainly would have.

Last edited:

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your quick 2 second google search didn't get you past the conclusion that all electronic shocks are equal, which is patently false.

The Bronco Raptor system offers both a coarse electronic adjustment for overall damping levels but more importantly, through the travel position sensors and accelerometers, tunes the shocks actively at the millisecond level. Get airborne, the truck knows it is and it will stiffen up for landing. I strongly suspect the system also includes roll bar type stabilization by sensing vehicle roll and adjusting the shocks side by side in pairs. I haven't been able to verify this, but it's not at all out of the question from the hardware nor software perspective. Really these two examples probably only scratch the surface of what the real time system is up to.

On the other hand, the iQS system is effectively just a remote/motor driven damping clicker adjustment wheel, nothing more. It is not real time adjusting and it's not integrated into a vehicles real time sensors and systems.

Yeah, I forgot, this is all just gimmicks and BS and it's put on the Raptor to make it more expensive, less reliable and deliver less performance...

Or we can acknowledge that most of the automotive press, those that know off roading and those that don't, have judged the Raptor to be the most capable factory off roader ever. The Ford suspension and vehicle dynamics engineering teams got to this point by using an active, fully electronic shock system. If they could have done so at less cost, without the electronics, sensors and software, they certainly would have.
Yeah it's not gimmicke at all. :) We put all to the test at the Raptor Assuault course in Utah. I loved my F150 Raptor and all the tech it had, I just couldn't off-road it much here on the East Coast. So I went to the Bronco. :) Thanks for your input, as I think most don't really undstand all that Ford Performance has done with the Raptor. Ram is tring to copy it with the TRX, but they have a ways to go to catch up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SDi reads 12 factory sensors via OBD2 in addition to their own IMU.
https://eclikshocks.com/toyota/

They even have a setup to improve the F150 Raptor Fox LV shocks.
https://eclikshocks.com/raptor/

SDi also makes a universal kit. It replaces the external reservoir on Kings and Foxs (any, really) with their electronic reservoir. Doesn't read factory sensors, obviously since it's a universal kit.
https://eclikshocks.com/universal/

Icon also has active shocks, but does not have anything using factory sensors like SDi.
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/cdev/

And both adjust "at the millisecond level", too. lol.

Can you fine tune the Raptor stock shocks on the fly? Adjust sensitivity to braking or cornering? Can you adjust rear separate from front for varying payloads?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
SDi reads 12 factory sensors via OBD2 in addition to their own IMU.
https://eclikshocks.com/toyota/

They even have a setup to improve the F150 Raptor Fox LV shocks.
https://eclikshocks.com/raptor/

SDi also makes a universal kit. It replaces the external reservoir on Kings and Foxs (any, really) with their electronic reservoir. Doesn't read factory sensors, obviously since it's a universal kit.
https://eclikshocks.com/universal/

Icon also has active shocks, but does not have anything using factory sensors like SDi.
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/cdev/

And both adjust "at the millisecond level", too. lol.

Can you fine tune the Raptor stock shocks on the fly? Adjust sensitivity to braking or cornering? Can you adjust rear separate from front for varying payloads?
My point was not that NO active/semi-active systems exist in the market...

My point was around the classic debate of buying high end factory vs. a fully custom build. In the specific case of the Bronco Raptor vs. a massively more expensive APG build, there are numerous and significant features, capabilities and benefits missing. In my view the price to performance ratio is simply too low and many missing features are highly desireable and difficult or nearly impossible to get.

That being said this SDi system is not available for the Bronco Raptor and I suspect it won't be. The universal kit is only a semi-active, bolt on reservoir system with compression adjustment only.

ICON - totally different leage in that they are not using sensors.

Yes, you can tune the Raptor shocks on the fly - just change the mode. Yes the SDi system seems to have some adjustments not available with the Fox Raptor system. I'm not sure many folks outside of racers could productively use many of these features and actually gain performance.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ICON - totally different leage in that they are not using sensors.
Icon doesn't use sensors, lol.
My point was that you don't seem to know what you're talking about and your post/s come off as a ford pr guy.

There are also "significant features, capabilities and benefits" of the APG build over the Raptor. e.g., much better clearance and articulation. At least APG gives you 40" tires for all that width. Ford could only fit one of the smallest 37 inch tires.

My point was not that NO active/semi-active systems exist in the market...
Yet Icon and SDi exist.

I'm out. The Raptor is a pretty cool Bronco build. Certainly the cheapest way to get there. It's just not the way I would build a Bronco. Way too wide for such small tires.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Icon doesn't use sensors, lol.
Let me clarify. If uses an a gyro/inertial sensor (single) as opposed to individual wheel travel sensors. The Raptor uses both.

There are also "significant features, capabilities and benefits" of the APG build over the Raptor. e.g., much better clearance and articulation. At least APG gives you 40" tires for all that width. Ford could only fit one of the smallest 37 inch tires.
I never claimed the APG system doesn't and I praised it.

It has not been shown that the system has better clearances.

Width has huge performance benefits regardless of tire size.

Complaining about very high quality factory 37s 🥱. Larger 37s or 38s will fit the stock Raptor just fine.

The Raptor is a pretty cool Bronco build. Certainly the cheapest way to get there.
Yup, that's my primary point.

It's just not the way I would build a Bronco.
That's why it's great to have choices, and I praised these particular choices previously in this thread.

Way too wide for such small tires.
As noted above, this is opinion, not fact. Too wide for what? All of the improved handling and stability that is gained... And again, yeah those fantastic factory 37s are so weak. 40s or your rig sucks, right?

Start a discussion/debate then preemptively disappear, cool.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Start a discussion/debate then preemptively disappear, cool.
I was only putting out there the availability of aftermarket electronically controlled shocks, as that is a mod I plan to do on my Bronco. Specifically, I'll start with the Icon kit and when SDi come out with a Bronco specific kit I'll reevaluate.

I'm not sure what the discussion/debate is, but I didn't want to pollute this thread with off topic posts. But, I guess it's kind of dead, so no big deal.

The Raptor is just not that interesting to me anymore, as I already ruled it out as a viable vehicle for me. The fenders cannot be easily removed for tight trails so they'll be smashed against trees and rocks.
If I want to go wider than the already wide Sasquatch, I would want huge ground clearance gains. That means portals and 40's.
If you're going to run something as wide as a buggy on 1 tons, you're going to need to run a big tire to wheel the same trails.

40s or your rig sucks, right?
I disagree. I think a stock Sasquatch Bronco only needs about 1 more inch of ground clearance to keep it from scraping everywhere. 40's are cool, but would only make me seek harder trails with greater chance of more drastic damage. 37's look right on the Sasquatch wheels. 0 offset wheels are the limit I would go, and even then I'm hesitant.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lastly, I see no mention of the steering rack? if your not offering a 74weld or Hoss 3.0 replacement your really creating a missing link....
I'm the guy that figured out the programming for the Hoss3.0 or 74welds replacement. lets talk.
Man, I had no idea that you were wanting to keep it quiet. I taught them how to program the HOSS 3.0. Sorry. I feel really bad having read this today.
Sponsored