First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It came yesterday so today was like an ad infinitum of wiring. Install of the unit was relatively easy but I had to remove our Tuffy lock box and our tailgate table to do the wiring in addition to all the other little panels. Also, the ARB compressor I got on eBay looks like it had a tiny bit of usage but we didn't pay full price--just nearly full price.

I have to say the AGS install instructions (a video) were great and always explained tool sizes for every step. Burnt through my phone battery having to keep bringing it up but not sure written instructions would've been as good even though I usually prefer that.

All parts seemed duly constructed. The only one that scared me was the cord passthrough gland. Just barely had enough thread to grab on the inside. I cleaned up my hole pretty good (eww) to be sure it wasn't some trash around the edge.

My annoying mistake was, although I was trying to be very careful to not have to depin the connectors by prerunning the wires, when I was done, somehow I had passed the large wire harness through the passthrough but I had not passed the small (purple wire) harness through so I had to depin that connector (only two pins thankfully but shame).

Product:
https://agsoffroad.com/products/2021-bronco-air-gate-kit
QUESTION: Can anyone tell me how to make this the banner image at the top of the post?
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676555791828

Install in pictures:
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568428721

Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568412930
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568477908
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568493747
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568502246
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568534604
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568555488
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568562714
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568599011
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568622421
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568633471
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568654990
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568693895
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568701115
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568715275
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568729876
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568741769
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568760538
Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1675568775755

1675568661252.png

1675568682765.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Thart89

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd be interested in more information about wiring. I ordered the kit and extension harness but it's a little intimidating. Not exactly sure what I need to pull up to run the wire under or the best path to take. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd be interested in more information about wiring. I ordered the kit and extension harness but it's a little intimidating. Not exactly sure what I need to pull up to run the wire under or the best path to take. Thanks!
I don't know if you happened to see their install video yet but they mention where they ran the harness.

In my case, I extended the wires individually with 8 and 16 gauge wires but, using the harness, things will probably just be a little easier except maybe it might be a little chunky passing it through the tighter spots.

As far as what route to take, I routed mine the way they said (as I heard it). So starting where they have you route it out of the tail gate:
  1. Through the panel on the passenger side above the right, rear wheel.
    Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676314652760
  2. Along the diagonal piece that ties the rear cargo area to the rear seats.
    Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676314685965
  3. Along the driver side door sills.
    Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676314706762
  4. Behind the panel where the driver side kick panel speakers are.
    Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676314811343
  5. Through the firewall where there is what looks like an unusually large grommet.
    Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676314788582
    Ford Bronco AGS Bronco Air-Gate Kit Installed 1676314871829

Thart89

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know if you happened to see their install video yet but they mention where they ran the harness.

In my case, I extended the wires individually with 8 and 16 gauge wires but, using the harness, things will probably just be a little easier except maybe it might be a little chunky passing it through the tighter spots.

As far as what route to take, I routed mine the way they said (as I heard it). So starting where they have you route it out of the tail gate:
  1. Through the panel on the passenger side above the right, rear wheel.
  2. Along the diagonal piece that ties the rear cargo area to the rear seats.
  3. Along the driver side door sills.
  4. Behind the panel where the driver side kick panel speakers are.
  5. Through the firewall where there is what looks like an unusually large grommet.
Thanks for the quick response. I watched their video but they quickly mentioned the routing verbally and kinda gave up at the door plates. Would have appreciated a full video taking each trim piece off and showing the harness run. Your picture are much more helpful. I'll probably attempt to take it on Saturday.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the quick response. I watched their video but they quickly mentioned the routing verbally and kinda gave up at the door plates. Would have appreciated a full video taking each trim piece off and showing the harness run. Your picture are much more helpful. I'll probably attempt to take it on Saturday.
Yeah. I felt the same way. I know they probably figure the wiring is kind out of their jurisdiction but it's a daunting thing and, so, might keep others from buying their product so it might be worth their effort to provide greater guidance.

Anyway, if I can answer any questions about my install when you take this on, I'm happy to.

Sponsored

Thart89

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah. I felt the same way. I know they probably figure the wiring is kind out of their jurisdiction but it's a daunting thing and, so, might keep others from buying their product so it might be worth their effort to provide greater guidance.

Anyway, if I can answer any questions about my install when you take this on, I'm happy to.
How's the extra weight on the tailgate? Noticeable difference? And sag or noise? Wonder how important tailgate reinforcement is.

CriticalB

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed mine on Saturday and it went pretty well. It was a little extra work because I had to remove the compressor from an under hood mount and take off the tailgate table for access. I haven’t extended the wires yet, but I’ve installed a sub amp so I’m familiar with the routing. Fit and finish is great and I’m looking forward to making use of the extension for my radio antenna. Extra weight is not noticeable. The only thing I found lacking was the fact there’s now a small gap between the rubber offsets on the center brake light and the body caused by the thickness of the bracket. This introduced a rattle when closing the door (and possibly when driving though I haven’t listened for it.) The kit was so thorough that I’m surprised there weren’t new longer offsets included, however I plan to find some small adhesive rubber pads I can affix to the door between that and the stoppers.

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats a pretty slick setup, nice work

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How's the extra weight on the tailgate? Noticeable difference? And sag or noise? Wonder how important tailgate reinforcement is.
I haven't noticed it but my tailgate table is rather creaky so I might have trouble telling the difference. I was thinking maybe a reinforcement bracket was a good idea though too.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... The only thing I found lacking was the fact there’s now a small gap between the rubber offsets on the center brake light and the body caused by the thickness of the bracket. This introduced a rattle when closing the door (and possibly when driving though I haven’t listened for it.) The kit was so thorough that I’m surprised there weren’t new longer offsets included, however I plan to find some small adhesive rubber pads I can affix to the door between that and the stoppers.
I hadn't noticed this but, looking at it now, mine also has that gap. It is very, very small but I can move the bracket just a bit in and out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats a pretty slick setup, nice work
Yeah. Kudos definitely go to @AGSOFFROAD. Really impressed with the idea, design, and implementation. Makes all the time spent wiring the compressor that distance worth it.

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ, BMW Z4, Mini Clubman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been filming my install, it might take a year to edit but I finally got my wires up to the firewall. I'm going to keep the fuses near the pedals and extend the wires to connect. In hindsight I don't think I'd use the Expedition Essentials harness again.

Also, depending on model/engine/transmission the firewall pass-through will be different. I cut into the blank where the main wiring goes through.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man that's cool, really nice setup. I can't really see, how exposed is everything back there? I'm thinking about road dirt, salt, and water from rain/snow, I wonder if there is an easy way to seal the openings better.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man that's cool, really nice setup. I can't really see, how exposed is everything back there? I'm thinking about road dirt, salt, and water from rain/snow, I wonder if there is an easy way to seal the openings better.
The compressor is fairly well encapsulated by the spare and its mount but clearly not sealed from the elements--it is actually very difficult to tell it's there once you're done. For us, there is not much to worry about since we live in the desert and won't be traveling too very often.

Also, AGS has an add-on option to route the ARB filters inside the tailgate.

OP
OP
Jo8n

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been filming my install, it might take a year to edit but I finally got my wires up to the firewall. I'm going to keep the fuses near the pedals and extend the wires to connect. In hindsight I don't think I'd use the Expedition Essentials harness again.
Is it the size of the harness when routing or something else that makes you think you wouldn't use it again?
Sponsored