Sponsored

Alternating Hard and Soft Top? My fellow mechanically inclined friends give me your thoughts

OP
OP
meffie

meffie

Wildtrak
First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Remember when Ford had it so you could buy a dual top option when your made your order? Pepperidge Farms does.
I do. I also remember when Ford said we'd all be sitting in our bronco's last year after reserving, lol. So it's hard to take stock in perception vs reality.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The oem softtop is held in place by only 6 bolts, 3 per side and after removing rear and side windows, folding roof flat, removing the bolts it comes off easy according to video.

Hardtop has direct mounting points and something like 16 bolts so yeah you can don't in an afternoon but not multiple times per day.

If you do only order soft get the prep kit factory installed.

Non Ford hardtop will install differently but none I know of use the same six softtop bolts

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

OP
OP
meffie

meffie

Wildtrak
First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is the one I was thinking of.
Thats some good enough. Looks like there is indeed a pieces that will be need to be swapped each time. Ashame Ford didn't figure out how to do this in a more uniform manner, but good to know ahead of time.

Thanks!

Migs1313

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, my only issue with the soft top is I have a 37 mile 1 way highway commute in which I think the wind noise at 80mph daily would drive me bonkers
I live in Chicago so I deal with all different temps and drive 35 miles on the highway everyday each way doing between 70-80 mph. I had this same worry but switched anyway and I've had mine for 7 months now because of the switch. I will say the noise is not bad at all I keep my B&O system at 9-11 volume in the morning and that is plenty loud for the drive. I don't think you will notice a difference between soft top and hardtop for noise or temp just my opinion though šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do. I also remember when Ford said we'd all be sitting in our bronco's last year after reserving, lol. So it's hard to take stock in perception vs reality.
I am just leaving to run errands in mine šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

milnicks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I completed the Bestop Trektop install on my 4-Door Hard Top over the weekend. Was a very involved process (6+ hrs); should be less time intensive the second go-around, as I am familiar with the components now and some items can stay on or assembled. That said, after the initial install you are still looking at ā‰ˆ48 bolts and ā‰ˆ19 components to remove or re-install when going between the Trektop and the Hard Top. My guess is it will be a few hours to pull off.

More details on my post in the Bestop Trektop Install Video thread.

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone ordered a SUNRIDER TOP from Bestop for their 2DR Bronco?

What has your experience been with their product?

Thanks

Blaine23

Big Bend
First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thats some good enough. Looks like there is indeed a pieces that will be need to be swapped each time. Ashame Ford didn't figure out how to do this in a more uniform manner, but good to know ahead of time.

Thanks!
If it makes you feel any better, there were just about as many parts that needed to be swapped to switch back and forth from hardtop to softtop on my JK Wrangler that I ran dual tops on for about 12 years too. It's the nature of the beast (switching between two functional top types) and once you've done the switch a few times, it's very easy and second nature to most.
Sponsored