Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was so excited to pick up my 2023 Ford bronco Wildtrak back in February 2023 after stocking up on parts in the last year and half. After about three months, I noticed it look like wrinkles, starting to appear on the rear passenger side hardtop cap. After visiting the dealer back in September 2023 and showing them the issue of “delamination” they ordered a new hardtop and said Ford estimates a week until delivery of the rear hardtop cap, turns out it took about three months and was delivered at the end of December. I was really trying to talk the dealer into switching it out for a modular hardtop with the removable rear windows, but they wouldn’t budge even for a little extra down lol. I’m not too upset since it’s warrantable and no leaks yet but I’m hoping the new replacement hardtop doesn’t have the same issue or have leaks after they swap the old windows from the old hard tap onto the new one.

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg
Sponsored

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That one is in bad shape! You shouldn't have any problems with the window swap thing, I had mine done a while back, and don't have any leaks.
Good luck!

Glade Runner

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

This is unacceptable on a $60K vehicle.

I don’t understand how they are having this problem. Jeep has been doing removable hardtops for a while, it’s not rocket science.

If their engineers can’t correct this maybe they should hire me.

Last edited:

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I don’t understand how they are having this problem. Jeep has been doing removable hardtops for a while, it’s not rocket science.
This.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally believe it is because they tried to come up with a much lighter top. My wife has a 14 JK that top is stupid heavy. I have a 1996 bronco and that top is extremely heavy. Kind of puts a damper on taking the hard top off for an afternoon. All automotive tries to make parts cheap. It's called profit. I think they went with a fiber fill that is like incredibly dense cardboard. Problem with the fiber fill (if I am correct) is that it isn't staying bonded well / at all to the finish material.
Jeeps top is just fiberglass as were the bronco tops between 1978 and 1996. prior to 96 they were metal on the bronco.

Sponsored

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was so excited to pick up my 2023 Ford bronco Wildtrak back in February 2023 after stocking up on parts in the last year and half. After about three months, I noticed it look like wrinkles, starting to appear on the rear passenger side hardtop cap. After visiting the dealer back in September 2023 and showing them the issue of “delamination” they ordered a new hardtop and said Ford estimates a week until delivery of the rear hardtop cap, turns out it took about three months and was delivered at the end of December. I was really trying to talk the dealer into switching it out for a modular hardtop with the removable rear windows, but they wouldn’t budge even for a little extra down lol. I’m not too upset since it’s warrantable and no leaks yet but I’m hoping the new replacement hardtop doesn’t have the same issue or have leaks after they swap the old windows from the old hard tap onto the new one.

Ford Bronco Another One…Hardtop Delamination IMG_3107

I wonder what they do with these tops. I would be willing to buy one if it was cheap

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Remember that Ford doesn't actually make these tops. They are made by Webasto but I'm not sure who actually did the original engineering on them. In theory the honeycomb composite sandwich seems like a sound design. Some of the tops don't have any issues and others are a shit show like the OP's. That points to a manufactuing process issue.

drbandkgb

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
allterrainnation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco - 2024 Mustang GT performance
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The main issue has been the cardboard core. In a perfect world the outside top is sealed perfectly but in reality the tops can gather moisture.
The top was developed by Webato and an Italian company.
Jeeps tops are a completely different design.

Hoss360

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The top on my 21 2 door WT was in great condition, but didn't want to take any chances so I did a long-term fix... Line-X... saw someone on here did their 4 door and it looked awesome. Line-X is available in a bunch of colors, but I had mine done in premium gloss black. I get tons on compliments on it, and I think it looks way better than the stock gray.

20230309_100451.jpg

20230511_184040.jpg

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remember that Ford doesn't actually make these tops. They are made by Webasto but I'm not sure who actually did the original engineering on them. In theory the honeycomb composite sandwich seems like a sound design. Some of the tops don't have any issues and others are a shit show like the OP's. That points to a manufactuing process issue.
Doesn't matter. Ford spec'd it, and they sold it. The amount of shit on your bronco that is made by someone else is a massive list, and nobody else gets the pass people try and give the tops. They are unbelievably flimsy and incredibly cheap, I have absolutely zero confidence they will hold up for 20 years, they can hardly make it past warranty.

Sad part is Ford used to know how to make a top. They did it for almost 35 years across 5 generations of Bronco's, and only now have issues.

Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Doesn't matter. Ford spec'd it, and they sold it. The amount of shit on your bronco that is made by someone else is a massive list, and nobody else gets the pass people try and give the tops. They are unbelievably flimsy and incredibly cheap, I have absolutely zero confidence they will hold up for 20 years, they can hardly make it past warranty.

Sad part is Ford used to know how to make a top. They did it for almost 35 years across 5 generations of Bronco's, and only now have issues.
I certainly wasn't giving Ford a pass for this potato chip that they call a hardtop. Just pointing out that they don't actually make it. Ford does assemble most of the major components on the car even if the parts come from outside vendors. The top is one of the few large components that they don't actually make.

Last edited:

Glade Runner

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

The top on my 21 2 door WT was in great condition, but didn't want to take any chances so I did a long-term fix... Line-X... saw someone on here did their 4 door and it looked awesome. Line-X is available in a bunch of colors, but I had mine done in premium gloss black. I get tons on compliments on it, and I think it looks way better than the stock gray.

20230309_100451.jpg

20230511_184040.jpg
if you don’t mind me asking, what did it cost to get the Line-X done?

Also, we’re there any panel fitment issues afterwards?

Hoss360

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s been very challenging to understand how my 2016 Jeep JK color-matched white hardtop and factory softtop are so well engineered, compared to Ford’s top. I took the Bronco hardtop off once for 30 minutes and it was so flimsy/flexy…I thought it was going break in my hands. Its so delicate…

Glade Runner

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I believe it was right around $800

No issues at all, front panels even fit in the storage bag still
Thank you for the information. I will keep this option in mind.
Sponsored