Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine went down before getting to the floorboards. Alternator went out and left me stranded. I’m looking for a fix to prevent a repeating, seems this a known issue from videos I’ve seen. A Jeep and Toyota went with a Bronco and only the Bronco failed because of this. Im looking for something sealed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TXLazer

TXLazer

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine went down before getting to the floorboards. Alternator went out and left me stranded. I’m looking for a fix to prevent a repeating, seems this a known issue from videos I’ve seen. A Jeep and Toyota went with a Bronco and only the Bronco failed because of this. Im looking for something sealed.
Same exact problem. Not here to argue about how I should have or have not taken the obstacle. I did it fine. Bottom line….zero reason this vehicle should be having this problem. I firmly believe it’s luck of the drawl with the poor design. I just want a permanent solution. Something sealed.

Last edited:

WhiteTrash

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same exact problem. Not here to argue about how I should have or have not taken the obstacle. I did it fine. Bottom line….zero reason this vehicle should be having this problem. I just want a permanent solution. Something sealed.
Yeah I was surprised to find it fail, nothing else with the vehicle was struggling. Seems to be a flaw, like the weak tie rods.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was a kid all the tv shows had quicksand

we’re you able to float on your back to keep from dying? Did the bronco sink to the roof and you were able to get out before you went completely under?

I saw some sketchy calls on Gilligans island and true love boat and scooby doo too!

that nuclear bombs and the ice age were all we worried about!
First thing to come to mind while reading was this thread from the spring, 🤣

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-submerged-in-water-during-maine-high-tide.42028/

1650230356010-png.png

Reactions: Cat

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, sell that Bronco post haste, and buy an outdated, over priced Jeep product ! I love the "I'm selling my Bronco, and buying a Jeep" posts. Go for it, you don't need the groups permission.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, sell that Bronco post haste, and buy an outdated, over priced Jeep product ! I love the "I'm selling my Bronco, and buying a Jeep" posts. Go for it, you don't need the groups permission.
This post is funny. It is Broncos that are overpriced not jeeps. You can find deals on jeeps and not Broncos.....
As for the rush to buy a jeep...if that was a jeep in the picture above it would never have gotton stuck in a little more than a foot of water.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This post is funny. It is Broncos that are overpriced not jeeps. You can find deals on jeeps and not Broncos.....
As for the rush to buy a jeep...if that was a jeep in the picture above it would never have gotton stuck in a little more than a foot of water.
You're kidding right ? Jeeps typically sell for far over any normal resale value. The interiors kind of suck, the steering really sucks, the tops leak badly, and they've had had many decades to rectify that issue ?

As they are off the lot many of the Bronco platforms would cost less in money, warranty issues, and time than what you'd have to add aftermarket to a Jeep to create similar set ups (SEE: Badlands, and above platforms).

The Jeep vehicle you get for the value is not a better deal than the new Broncos in my opinion, your results may vary. Jeep has been riding on its name, and image for years.

The Bronco is a new platform, of course there's going to be a premium, but if you get one for MSRP I'd take it any day over what Jeep currently offers.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're kidding right ? Jeeps typically sell for far over any normal resale value. The interiors kind of suck, the steering really sucks, the tops leak badly, and they've had had many decades to rectify that issue ?

As they are off the lot many of the Bronco platforms would cost less in money, warranty issues, and time than what you'd have to add aftermarket to a Jeep to create similar set ups (SEE: Badlands, and above platforms).

The Jeep vehicle you get for the value is not a better deal than the new Broncos in my opinion, your results may vary. Jeep has been riding on its name, and image for years.

The Bronco is a new platform, of course there's going to be a premium, but if you get one for MSRP I'd take it any day over what Jeep currently offers.
You can get jeeps under invoice vs Broncos for over msrp. Ford has had many price increases since rollout. They will both hold their value well. The interiors are better than the Bronco, the leather wrapped steering wheel puts Ford to shame...All tops leak, Bronco or jeep. The JL had hundreds of changes vs the JK. They have come a long way.
And the most important one as related to this thread, they dont get stuck in a foot and a half of water. Isnt the NHTSA still investigating the 2.7 blown engines? How many Bronco owners have been towed from trails due to faulty computers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can get jeeps under invoice vs Broncos for over msrp. The interiors are better than the Bronco, the leather wrapped steering wheel puts Ford to shame...All tops leak, Bronco or jeep. The JL had hundreds of changes vs the JK. They have come a long way.
And the most important one as related to this thread, they dont get stuck in a foot and a half of water.
Jeep interiors suck, that's just been a issue forever with them. Yep the new tops on Broncos can, and do leak. Jeeps have had many decades to design a roof that doesn't leak always ? The prices asked for jeeps especially used speaks to how much hype a nd past image are tied to them. I shopped them years back, test drive then, have friends who have and had them, they all have the same gripes year in year out.

So many people buy Jeeps only to sell them because they quickly realize they're not really good daily drivers. The Bronco is for damn sure a strong daily driver, and it has steel balls for a 4WD platform right off the factory floor.

1 anecdotal account of a Bronco having water issues with an alternator ? C'mon, man there are lots of Broncos that have been in deep water without that issue occurring. If not we're be seeing that here all the time.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any solutions to the water/alternator issue yet? I saw that buckle up buttercup mention AIG was coming up with a solution but I have not seen anything on it recently. I crossed a small water trough in my two week old badlands Sasquatch and it looks like enough debris got into the alternator that it has caused failure. I don’t understand why Ford put the alternator roughly 10 inches below the waterline. I’m going to get it fixed but if there isn’t a longer term solution, I am considering selling it and buying a rubicon. I waited way too long and paid too much money for it to be an off road vehicle that can’t cross a 1.5 - 2 foot deep water hole. If I can find a better long term solution…I’d run with it. I love my badlands and love what it can do but this current issue without a solution is a no-go for me.

Taking to the dealership this week so hopefully I am covered by warranty.
I'd be surprised if you're covered under warranty, and unfortunately that's a $1,000 alternator!

Of all the Ford FU, this has got to be one of the worst ones. I'm watching channels on YouTube (like Ozark overlander, and story till now) watching these guys take their Jeeps through muddy water holes.... And thinking to myself, I'm not going to be able to do that!

What do we do when we're going along a trail and there happens to be a muddy water hole. I mean ideally, they'll be some way for us to go around it which I will take 100% of the time. But what if there isn't? At this point I'm honestly not sure if I would turn around or take the chance of being stranded. Because those that have had their alternators fail, they literally can fail right away.

I'm partially contemplating bringing one of those spray tanks (You're the ones for staying or weed killer, etc) and then just spraying out the alternator with clean water if I ever had to go through one of these. How much fun is that going to be out exploring when you have to stop and figure out how to rinse out your alternator every time you go through something like that.

Sure, if you're sending it, or you're actually playing in mud then that's kind of on you. But if you're just going along a trail and have to go through a mud hole deeper than a foot...wtf?

Oh and FYI, I'm Sasquatched and just measured my alternator from the ground and it was about 24 in (2.7l)

You guys knock Jeeps, and you can do it all you want, but a Jeep will always be more capable than a Bronco off-road and at least Jeep has the off road experience to know to put the alternator up high. They do that on both their 3.6 and 2.0 engines So it's no accident.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a badlands
My wife a JLUR
The steering wheel in her JLUR isn’t some noteworthy leather y’all rant and rave about
Matter of fact it’s absolutely average

But 🤷‍♂️

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys knock Jeeps, and you can do it all you want, but a Jeep will always be more capable than a Bronco off-road and at least Jeep has the off road experience to know to put the alternator up high. They do that on both their 3.6 and 2.0 engines So it's no accident.

They've had a pretty good head start on their off road ability for sure though. My knocks on them have never affected my affection for a Jeep though. Even with the long in the tooth design they're still an iconic vehicle in the pantheon of car history.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They've had a pretty good head start on their off road ability for sure though. My knocks on them have never affected my affection for a Jeep though. Even with the long in the tooth design they're still an iconic vehicle in the pantheon of car history.
Exactly. I still have my Wrangler and absolutely love it. Sure the Bronco offers a lot of things that Jeep doesn't... And I have no doubt that one day Ford will address all the design flaws that are holding the Bronco back (And I'm not talking about IFS).

The solid front axles are always going to be better at hardcore off-roading, and that's a given and I hold nothing against Ford for that.

But Jeep address is a lot of things to accommodate the harsher off-road environment, and it's going to take a while for both the Bronco and Ford to sort that out.

The alternator would be a great place to start!
Sponsored